PDA

View Full Version : .asia future and IDNs

Muhammad Mustafa
29th March 2007, 02:23 PM
yesterday I got last information about .asia, 4th stage will start in the second part of 2007 which means its opened for every body to register his name.
today I checked for some TM names like google, yahoo, microsoft .. etc and they all registered which means SR3 is already finished.
with over 60% of earth people in asia and about 30 language how do you think .asia will be??
will we see another top ext. like what happened with .mobi??
will we see IDNs available with .asia??
IDNs with .asia will have a pretty future??
share your opinions guys :)

I think we will see a large market with .asia and will be the next big valuable one after .com and .mobi (may be bigger than .mobi too)
with IDNs I think only ch, jp and ar will be the most valuable markets

domainguru
29th March 2007, 02:38 PM
IDNs with .asia will have a pretty future??
share your opinions guys :)

why invest time thinking about stuff which nobody has an answer to, and even if they did, couldn't possible get an edge by knowing that answer? If you want to daydream, take up songwriting or poetry instead :)

Muhammad Mustafa
29th March 2007, 03:34 PM
and even if they did, couldn't possible get an edge by knowing that answer?

by known some opinions about pros thoughts in .asia I will make my decision whether to keep some thousands to invest in .asia or not.
still useless?? ;)

mulligan
29th March 2007, 03:44 PM
Personally I think it's bullsit ... Yet another shitty extension that consumers will pour millions of $$$'s into.

And someone will buy flowers.asia for a few hundred K to create a false market for it so more $$$'s can be screwed out of the unsuspecting.

If we're gonna have .asia why not .africa, .antartica, .northernhemisphere, .moon, .earth etc etc

There will always be people who will think up new ways to get your $$$'s out of your pocket and into theirs, and there will always be people who are only too happy to facilitate the smooth and speedy transfer of their cash to them.

mdw
29th March 2007, 03:58 PM
If we're gonna have .asia why not .africa, .antartica, .northernhemisphere, .moon, .earth etc etcHey don't make fun of my fave, .moon - for years now Vint Cerf has been talking about interplanetary IP, and domain names are a natural extension of that.

But .mars will probably be far more valuable IMO, I personally would save some budget for that TLD instead of spending a bundle bidding on "darkside.moon" or maybe you just pulled that little joke "outa.uranus" :p

domainguru
29th March 2007, 04:00 PM
by known some opinions about pros thoughts in .asia I will make my decision whether to keep some thousands to invest in .asia or not.
still useless?? ;)

yes absolutely - because IDN.asia is at least 3 years away. How can you possibly be making any decisions today about what to invest in then?

Besides, none of us here have a clue :p

Rubber Duck
29th March 2007, 04:11 PM
still useless?? ;)

There are not many Pros that are actually making a living from Asian Economies, but I am arguably one of them.

Expect a lot of the ASCII crowded to register similar stuff to that which they could or aspire to in dot com.

Yes, it is going to big than dot Mobi. It is going to be much funnier!

domainguru
29th March 2007, 04:15 PM
There are not many Pros that are actually making a living from Asian Economies, but I am arguably one of them.

Expect a lot of the ASCII crowded to register similar stuff to that which they could or aspire to in dot com.

Yes, it is going to big than dot Mobi. It is going to be much funnier!

I thought you always hated the term "Pros" being applied to domainers. Or was that just until you became one? ;)

Rubber Duck
29th March 2007, 04:22 PM
I thought you always hated the term "Pros" being applied to domainers. Or was that just until you became one? ;)

My objection is that the term implies that you are adhering to some kind of professional code like a doctor would. Clearly that is not the case. Many domainers are nothing more than two bit scam artists. As you stated in a previous thread, there is more to life than money. I think is unfair to equate ourselves with people that are operating as bonefide professionals many of whom work very hard to provide good public services.

rhys
29th March 2007, 06:52 PM
Personally, Asia is not united in any sense culturally or politically. In some cases, countries in Asia are fiercely independent from other countries in Asia. I think it is naive to think that .asia will have a built in audience. Why would Japanese type-in to a .asia site? Why would a filipino? Why would a korean? Why would an Indian?

.asia's only chance is if became the default site for the Chinese diaspora across Asia. Then it would have a purpose but no non-Chinese language people would look twice at that extension. IMO.