PDA

View Full Version : Is .CN hot

charley
5th April 2007, 03:01 PM
What would prices for .cn be for names that have

- Upto 10,000 searches

- 10,000 and more

Are there any restrictions on registering Chinese, .cn names?

blastfromthepast
5th April 2007, 03:07 PM
Many restrictions, and 'deletion danger.'

charley
5th April 2007, 03:09 PM
Oh !

Like what did you mean, any examples ? I am not refering to the trademark names.

sunsei21
5th April 2007, 03:09 PM
What would prices for .cn be for names that have

- Upto 10,000 searches

- 10,000 and more

Are there any restrictions on registering Chinese, .cn names?

what ever you can sell them for honestly there is no set pricing or even a price range
i have heard there was some red tape with .cn but i dont own any as of yet so dont really know. :)

charley
5th April 2007, 03:12 PM
i have heard there was some red tape with .cn

What does that mean ?

There are many names still shows available, should I consider registering them, they aren't trademarked ones.

Prodigy
5th April 2007, 03:13 PM
10,000 searches is miniscule... If you want to do it off of search results, try over 100,000,000.

I've got a bunch if quality ones if you're interested. Feel free to PM me.

blastfromthepast
5th April 2007, 03:16 PM
What does that mean ?

There are many names still shows available, should I consider registering them, they aren't trademarked ones.

Are you ready to have your names taken away from you in a lawless process?

Face Wall of China shutdown?

Parking sites are also illegal in China.

charley
5th April 2007, 03:26 PM
10,000 searches is miniscule

I am referring to the Overture Searches.

Are you ready to have your names taken away from you in a lawless process?

Face Wall of China shutdown?

Can you explain what kinda names aren't allowed and would be deleted.

Many of the coms, nets, orgs are all registered. I don't understand why they aren't taken away.

sunsei21
5th April 2007, 03:28 PM
I am referring to the Overture Searches.

Can you explain what kinda names aren't allowed and would be deleted.

Many of the coms, nets, orgs are all registered. I don't understand why they aren't taken away.

lol 2 different companies control .cn and .com :)

blastfromthepast
5th April 2007, 03:29 PM
First of all, Overture doesn't exist for China. .CN is controled by Chinese company with arbitrary rules, which is why Chinese domainers prefer .com

zibin
5th April 2007, 03:34 PM
Isnt the chinese government trying to push the .cn as the primary domain in china?

I know ename.com / ename.cn are selling some dead cheap cn domains. What's the catch?

Prodigy
5th April 2007, 03:39 PM
Isnt the chinese government trying to push the .cn as the primary domain in china?

I know ename.com / ename.cn are selling some dead cheap cn domains. What's the catch?

Shhhhh, we're not supposed to be talking abt .CN. It's a stain on the sofa seat that we try to bleach out with a healthy dose of .com ;)

SciFi
5th April 2007, 03:48 PM
I had several 'dissident'-related .cn names.
They were deleted without any explanation.
$100 down the drain.

For a change, Blast might be right.;)

jacksonm
5th April 2007, 04:01 PM
$100 down the drain.

That was not really a wise investment...

touchring
5th April 2007, 04:19 PM
$100 down the drain.

Can you tell us what are the names? Thks.

blastfromthepast
5th April 2007, 04:27 PM
personal website value.
otherwise .cn have delete danger.
good lucky.

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/9633-how-about-my-tow-chinese-cn.html

touchring
5th April 2007, 04:29 PM
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/9633-how-about-my-tow-chinese-cn.html

I heard that .cn can be arbitrarily deleted and registered by the registrar people, but i've only known of one case - software.cn, or 软件.cn. So, i'm curious if there are other cases.

cdehoo
5th April 2007, 05:14 PM
I heard that .cn can be arbitrarily deleted and registered by the registrar people, but i've only known of one case - software.cn, or 软件.cn. So, i'm curious if there are other cases.

If after .cn registers successful 15 day,.cn canNOT be arbitrarily deleted!
Any case has not been .cn can be arbitrarily deleted.

PS:软件.cn After the registration second days are deleted..(Refunds money)

blastfromthepast
5th April 2007, 05:29 PM
Yes, I have seen .cn deleted and then registered by someone else! There is some insider game going on.

cdehoo
5th April 2007, 05:32 PM
First of all, Overture doesn't exist for China. .CN is controled by Chinese company with arbitrary rules, which is why Chinese domainers prefer .com
You can see the very many cn domainers in ename.cn,only is the very few people comes thisforum.

Yes, I have seen .cn deleted and then registered by someone else! There is some insider game going on.
Please do not speak irresponsibly, please say the domainname! Even if theothers registered could also delete once more.

blastfromthepast
5th April 2007, 05:39 PM
Please do not speak irresponsibly, please say the domainname! Even if theothers registered could also delete once more.

帐户.cn was registered by me, but the registry is a took this name away and someone else registered!

Giant
5th April 2007, 05:55 PM
帐户.cn was registered by me, but the registry is a took this name away and someone else registered!

But it's still listed as yours.

EDITTED
------------------

If my advice can worth anything, then:

Dot CN domains are NOT for foreigners, don't try to "invest" in something that are very sensitive to the Chinese government.

If you are not a "company" and you don't have a residency in China, your Dot CN domains are considered invalid by law although CNNIC let you temporally holding them.

I registered some Dot CN IDNs in 2003 with my cousin's Chinese company as Registrant, but I never thought I could get rich from such "investment" except maybe getting myself in trouble. A foreigner in China owning too many Dot CN domains can easily be accused of attempting to sabotage China's Internet resources.

blastfromthepast
5th April 2007, 06:03 PM
The domain can't be accessed through my account. What more, I registered it at another registrar, not Key-Systems, since I don't use Key-Systems any more. Unless DomainSite is a reseller of KeySystems, it makes no sense.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm a victim of some kind of fraud that affects .cn domain registrations.

If my advice can worth anything, then:

Dot CN domains are NOT for foreigners, don't try to "invest" in something that are very sensitive to the Chinese government.

If you are not a "company" and you don't have a residency in China, your Dot CN domains are considered invalid by law although CNNIC let you temporally holding them.

A foreigner in China owning too many Dot CN domains can easily be accused of attempting to sabotage China's Internet resources.

As for that, the main problem is that laws are flexible and contradictory. If there are bunch of laws on the books that contradict each other, that means the people in power can pull the strings any way they want to get the outcome they want.

markits
5th April 2007, 06:40 PM
dot cn domain is so risky, not good.
no serious money should be put into it.

Prodigy
6th April 2007, 02:45 AM

I registered some Dot CN IDNs in 2003 with my cousin's Chinese company as Registrant, but I never thought I could get rich from such "investment" except maybe getting myself in trouble. A foreigner in China owning too many Dot CN domains can easily be accused of attempting to sabotage China's Internet resources.

I remember you once telling another person on this forum to not spread rumours about the Chinese internet or face punishment and jail time.

Unless you are the head of the CNNIC trying to provide foreigners with direction on the investment of .cn, I would value your own advice.

Regarding your first paragraph, please research it a tiny bit more.

cdehoo
6th April 2007, 02:56 AM
I only knew:China's registrar, registers in latter 15 day to delete,all is refunds money.
I only want to say:The CN domain name registration surpasses 15 day to delete again never has occurred,I have not heard any case.

blastfromthepast
6th April 2007, 04:26 AM
Spreading rumors that .cn is a good investment, and then having the experience of a domain taking away isn't just bad rumors, its seriously annoying to domainers.

markits
6th April 2007, 05:05 AM
I only knew:China's registrar, registers in latter 15 day to delete,all is refunds money.
I only want to say:The CN domain name registration surpasses 15 day to delete again never has occurred,I have not heard any case.

Who gives them the right to delete domains? That is robbery or steal. They should spend money to buy domains from registrant rather than delete or forfeit domains. BTW, they always delete top generic keyword domains, but never delete TM domains or other rubbish domains, which may cause troubles to registrants and TM holders.

touchring
6th April 2007, 05:16 AM
then having the experience of a domain taking away isn't just bad rumors,

What is DD24 tell you about your name? Confiscated? Or what?

Who gives them the right to delete domains? That is robbery or steal. They should spend money to buy domains from registrant rather than delete or forfeit domains. BTW, they always delete top generic keyword domains, but never delete TM domains or other rubbish domains, which may cause troubles to registrants and TM holders.

Right, only top names are at risk.

blastfromthepast
6th April 2007, 05:31 AM
I wrote to DD24 today and I'm still waiting to hear their site of the story. Will post in members section.

cdehoo
6th April 2007, 06:40 AM

charley
6th April 2007, 07:13 AM
Many of the TOP names still show as available. Seems like if this is the case I will have to ignore this extension.

cdehoo
6th April 2007, 07:42 AM
Many of the TOP names still show as available. Seems like if this is the case I will have to ignore this extension.
This case is only a misunderstanding.

Giant
6th April 2007, 08:09 AM
I remember you once telling another person on this forum to not spread rumours about the Chinese internet or face punishment and jail time.

Unless you are the head of the CNNIC trying to provide foreigners with direction on the investment of .cn, I would value your own advice.

Regarding your first paragraph, please research it a tiny bit more.

If you think I am wrong then quote the document to prove me wrong. I bet anything you can find just prove me RIGHT!

As long as you want to make money on domaining, you better listen to me rather than the head of CNNIC, Mr. Mao Wei.

For people that don't know the laws and the situation in China well would naturally think Dot CN domains that they registered through Registrars like DomainSite must be valid because DS must have some sort of agreement with CNNIC. They are not completely wrong but they are not completely right either. Why? I will explain this tomorrow, it's bed time for me now :-)

cdehoo
6th April 2007, 08:54 AM

touchring
6th April 2007, 09:33 AM
I've no doubts that there are laws enforcing the rights of .cn holders, but as in all private properties in China, the enforcement is not the duty of the state or government, but the owner himself!

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-04/03/xin_52040403084907137987.jpg

A Chinese national flag is raised atop a house, standing in the centre of a ten-metre-deep pit dug by the real estate developter, in southwest China's Chongqing Municipality, on March 21, a day before the deadline for the owner to move out sentenced by local court. The house' owner refused to go due to compensation disagreement with the developer. [newsphoto]

Prodigy
6th April 2007, 09:58 AM
If you think I am wrong then quote the document to prove me wrong. I bet anything you can find just prove me RIGHT!
QUOTE]

I look forward to your analysis ;)

In regards to a document, it exists in terms of defining personal ownership... however, as Genius once aptly told me, do your homework. I am very comfortable with the laws that define domain ownership as it extends to foreigners, I hope you will be able to find that "document" as well.

PM me, lets talk in private.

[quote]Many of the TOP names still show as available. Seems like if this is the case I will have to ignore this extension.

You're either on crack or your blind.

Show us these top names, ive been scouring the registry for 3 months now. EVERYTHING is gone so there's no point even in trying to register key generics anymore. Don't bother, try scrape something out of eachnic or on another secondary market.

mulligan
6th April 2007, 10:14 AM
I've no doubts that there are laws enforcing the rights of .cn holders, but as in all private properties in China, the enforcement is not the duty of the state or government, but the owner himself!

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-04/03/xin_52040403084907137987.jpg

A Chinese national flag is raised atop a house, standing in the centre of a ten-metre-deep pit dug by the real estate developter, in southwest China's Chongqing Municipality, on March 21, a day before the deadline for the owner to move out sentenced by local court. The house' owner refused to go due to compensation disagreement with the developer. [newsphoto]

This case has been settled and the owners were granted their demands for 'fair compensation' and they have moved out.
Not long ago they would have been arrested and thrown in jail for obstruction the local officials and recieved nothing.
Whether they were granted their demands because the situation drew nationwide attention is not really clear, there was a media blackout but people used the internet to talk about it so it was in the spotlight for some time.

In fact the lady of the house was labeled as being an astute media queen in Singapore newspapers and knew how to use said media to her own ends.

touchring
6th April 2007, 10:38 AM
This case has been settled and the owners were granted their demands for 'fair compensation' and they have moved out.
Not long ago they would have been arrested and thrown in jail for obstruction the local officials and recieved nothing.
Whether they were granted their demands because the situation drew nationwide attention is not really clear, there was a media blackout but people used the internet to talk about it so it was in the spotlight for some time.

In fact the lady of the house was labeled as being an astute media queen in Singapore newspapers and knew how to use said media to her own ends.

I don't think they could be thrown into jail for refusing to sell their house - the developer is private and they have to buy the house from the couple. Of cos, there are many ways to "make" someone sell a house, but this might be difficult for this case, if you had seen photos of the master of the house in kungfu attire and dug in.

Here's a better photo :):

Mr. Yang is a former kung-fu champion who is admired for his defiant attitude and his toughness. Last week, he used two steel pipes to climb up to his home from the 10-metre-deep pit that surrounds it. At the top, he waved a Chinese flag and a banner reading "No violation of legitimate private property."

Brandishing a set of wooden clubs, he shouted to onlookers: "If anyone dares to come up, I'll beat them back down."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070326.wxchinahouse26/BNStory/International/home

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20070326/wxchinahouse26/_done_0326nailhouse_600big.jpg

charley
6th April 2007, 02:22 PM
You're either on crack or your blind.

Cut the CRAP !

Blame it on IDNTools.net Bulk Checker, it shows most of the available.

Prodigy
6th April 2007, 02:44 PM
Cut the CRAP !

Crap? I'm not the one who suggested that all the best terms are still open for reg.

bwhhisc
6th April 2007, 03:16 PM
Cut the CRAP !

I would be interested to see a few of the premium .cn you have registered in the last week or two. No doubt there are still some out there, but they are scarce.

mulligan
6th April 2007, 06:14 PM
Cut the CRAP !

Huh?? Go register a few premium Chinese domains and we'll see if it's true ... I can assure you that premium Chinese domains are not available to register ... And you have the audacity to 'blame' it on a set of premium IDN tools that is provided by a member of this forum for free! Ever hear of the word 'variant'? If not then I suggest you learn what it means before you start 'blaming' anything

cdehoo
7th April 2007, 03:18 AM
Merely looked English translation is insufficient.

Giant
7th April 2007, 07:01 PM
I am very comfortable with the laws that define domain ownership as it extends to foreigners, I hope you will be able to find that "document" as well.

Are you serious about this?

I lived in China, and I'm still doing business in China. I haven't found anything as you said "... the laws that define domain ownership as it extends to foreigners...". would you please quote the exact document for this.

The only thing I found is, "registered companies or organizations in China" can apply for Dot CN domains. A company registered in China but owned by foreigner is ok, but a foreigner even living in China is NOT ok. I walked into Xinnet with my passport and asked to reg a DOT CN domain and I was told I needed my business license for Dot CN registration.

touchring
7th April 2007, 07:09 PM
I think any company will do, even a foreign company like an american llc.

Giant
7th April 2007, 07:40 PM
I think any company will do, even a foreign company like an american llc.

That's you and I think, logically. But in China, in order to protect your investment money, you can't rely on logical reasoning alone. From my experience, if the law does not explicitly say "you are allowed" and it does not explicitly say "you are not allowed", always interpret it as "you are NOT allowed" or you will be in trouble.

Rubber Duck
7th April 2007, 07:50 PM
I think the Chinese would like to establish confidence in dot CN, and I personally don't think they are going to start playing fast and loose with the extension, but in theory, you have few or no rights to dot CN as far as I can see. Just about anything is possible.

How long is going to be before big private companies are going to stake their future on dot CN. Well, personally I think it will be a while. Several years at least.
How long is going to be before individuals are prepared to slap a million bucks on the table? Again, quite some time I would guess. That kind of confidence will need to build. In the meantime, dot Com will be taking top end market share for sure.

Is it sensible to pick up a few dot CN? Yes, I think it is. Would I recommend buying hundreds? No, I would not. If you get perceived as what are often labelled in the West cybersquatters, I am sure there will be sanctions, which will include but not be limited to the loss of the domains.

cdehoo
8th April 2007, 11:54 AM
"registered companies or organizations in China" can apply for Dot CN domains. A company registered in China but owned by foreigner is ok, but a foreigner even living in China is NOT ok.
Which stipulation limit has to be "China"?
中国互联网络信息中心域名注册实施细则
enom.com,dd24.com,godaddy.com,domainsite.com,name.com,dynadot.com...
All supports foreigner register .cn.Before when you register, All has not limited you must be "China"!

That's you and I think, logically. But in China, in order to protect your investment money, you can't rely on logical reasoning alone. From my experience, if the law does not explicitly say "you are allowed" and it does not explicitly say "you are not allowed", always interpret it as "you are NOT allowed" or you will be in trouble.
This is a domain name forum,Please put out the correlation the evidence,Which evidence(case) has to prove your speech!

Prodigy
8th April 2007, 01:48 PM
Which stipulation limit has to be "China"?

I believe he is bringing up two issues:

1. Personal ownership
2. Foreign ownership.

There are documents, but don't bother. It is about .com here as we have seen how fast some of the major players (particularly one) was to turn the tables on two of the major ccTLDs, even in their own language. We would rather have .tv, .cc and .ws.

I think the Chinese would like to establish confidence in dot CN, and I personally don't think they are going to start playing fast and loose with the extension, but in theory, you have few or no rights to dot CN as far as I can see. Just about anything is possible.

How long is going to be before big private companies are going to stake their future on dot CN. Well, personally I think it will be a while. Several years at least.
How long is going to be before individuals are prepared to slap a million bucks on the table? Again, quite some time I would guess. That kind of confidence will need to build. In the meantime, dot Com will be taking top end market share for sure.

"I think", "I think", I think you make too many assumptions that have proven you wrong in the past. You do know what they say when you "ass"-"u"-"me".

Then there is self-interest, but hey, noone said we were a charity.

Rubber Duck
8th April 2007, 03:03 PM
"I think", "I think", I think you make too many assumptions that have proven you wrong in the past. You do know what they say when you "ass"-"u"-"me".

Then there is self-interest, but hey, noone said we were a charity.

Maybe, then again probably fewer than most. I have dabble in ccTLD, but not gone over board. I would be happy to cut my loses on those tomorrow, if they go pear shaped. I didn't get caught with any Symbol domains. I have been able to finance my renewals and scrape a living from IDN, so I guess I am not doing too badly. My biggest and probably only serious miscalculation has been to give any credence to any utterances coming from Microsoft.

It is not me that started trying to trash extensions without proof, and as we have seen in certain circumstances no extension will save your bacon. I have not recently been openly selling on the forum or buying things that I have trashed, so I think it reasonable to assume that opinions are not purely short-term market manipulation.

On the subject of assumptions, if you are unwilling to make investment decisions without categorical proof, then domain speculation is not for you. It is an art not a science.

Prodigy
8th April 2007, 03:27 PM
Maybe, then again probably fewer than most. I have dabble in ccTLD, but not gone over board. I would be happy to cut my loses on those tomorrow, if they go pear shaped. I didn't get caught with any Symbol domains. I have been able to finance my renewals and scrape a living from IDN, so I guess I am not doing too badly. My biggest and probably only serious miscalculation has been to give any credence to any utterances coming from Microsoft.

Congratulations on the oil well, being a pioneer in the game you deserve it! I'd be glad to "help you cut your losses" my friend. PM me a list of your .CNs and .JPs so I can help you get them out of your way ;)

It is not me that started trying to trash extensions without proof, and as we have seen in certain circumstances no extension will save your bacon. I have not recently been openly selling on the forum or buying things that I have trashed, so I think it reasonable to assume that opinions are not purely short-term market manipulation.

Proof is in the pudding. Domestic usage of extensions and website count of extension names show the current status of ccTLD versus gTLD.

Alot of the trashing on this forum is based on the assumption that end users, particularly multinational corporations will switch to gTLD because of IDNs.

Ride the JR or the metro. Take a stroll through Shibuya or Shinjuku. Surf some current multinational websites geared towards foreign markets. You'll understand then.

On the subject of assumptions, if you are unwilling to make investment decisions without categorical proof, then domain speculation is not for you. It is an art not a science.

This is ironic because I am making an assumption that the status-quo will remain in terms of domestic market extension usage. In an environment where .com is overwhelmingly being touted as the future main player in markets (i.e. these forums), I imagine that I am being more speculative than yourself in determining what is going to work for IDNs.

Speculation is an art not a science? I take it we don't dabble alot in stocks do we?=) Balls are balls, but it's nice to have a little head too. (In more ways than one)

Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple of other things that are ironic, but i'll save them for later.

Rubber Duck
8th April 2007, 03:36 PM
I think you will find that at least half of the domains already registered in China and Japan are already dot com. This has historically been due to inflexible registration policies and cost. I agree there has been a major expansion in dot CN recently, but even so it still has to overtake dot Com in the total number of registrations.

The logic for using a ccTLD in conjunction with Chinese characters is much weaker than it is with ASCII. We use ccTLDs in the UK a lot because it is one way of making sure that all the sites you visit are not going to Bill you in dollars and charge you the Earth for shipping around the globe. The big US Corporates use them so they can charge Brits twice the going rate. If the Americans had not pirated our language, we would not have had this problem.

Prodigy
8th April 2007, 03:48 PM
I think you will find that at least half of the domains already registered in China and Japan are already dot com. This has historically been due to inflexible registration policies and cost. I agree there has been a major expansion in dot CN recently, but even so it still has to overtake dot Com in the total number of registrations.

The logic for using a ccTLD in conjunction with Chinese characters is much weaker than it is with ASCII. We use ccTLDs in the UK a lot because it is one way of making sure that all the sites you visit are not going to Bill you in dollars and charge you the Earth for shipping around the globe. The big US Corporates use them so they can charge Brits twice the growing rate. If the Americans had not pirated our language, we would not have had this problem.

It is one thing to register a domain name, it is another to use it. .COM is the bee hive of domain speculation because hey, it is the Americans that have the most profitable domain re-sell market.

We should be looking at domain usage and not reg numbers.

Ya think you're the only nation who have a problem with America?;)

Giant
8th April 2007, 04:07 PM
Hey ChinaStar, why do you keep arguing? Can't you read Chinese?

CNNIC printed this registration rules on its website, do you need a translator?

第二章  域名注册的申请与审核

第四条 域名注册申请者(以下简称申请者)应当是依法登记并且能够独立承担民事责任的组织。

Domain registration applicant SHOULD be a registered organization. (Since these rules are in Chinese and published on China's soil, "registered organization" means organizations registered with the Chinese government but not the American or foreign governments)

If you still have doubts, you can read what you need when you want to transfer the ownership of the domain to another organization: You are required to prove your "organization status" before you are allowed to transfer.

第三章  注册域名的变更与注销

第十四条 申请转让已注册的域名,出让人应当向域名注册服务机构提交盖有申请单位公章或者经公证的域名转让申请表。经域名注册服务机构核准后,该域名由域名注册服务机构予以变更运行。

Prodigy
8th April 2007, 04:16 PM
"If all the animals on the equator were capable of flattery, then Thanksgiving and Christmas would fall on the same date"

Do your research.

BTW, i'll give u a freebie because this don't require research:

Domain registration applicant SHOULD be a registered organization. (Since these rules are in Chinese and published on China's soil, "registered organization" means registered with the Chinese government but not the American or foreign government)

This is from the neulevel.cn website:

Does a company or organization need a subsidiary in China in order to acquire a .CN name?
No.

Is there a Nexus requirement for Registrants?
No. Under recently announced .CN policy, Registrars may accept .CN registrations from users worldwide.

For personal ownership that wasn't a very nice comment so you can go look for it yourself.

Hey ChinaStar, why are you keep arguing? Can't you read Chinese?

CNNIC printed this registration rules at its website, do you need a translator?

第二章  域名注册的申请与审核

第四条 域名注册申请者(以下简称申请者)应当是依法登记并且能够独立承担民事责任的组织。

Domain registration applicant SHOULD be a registered organization. (Since these rules are in Chinese and published on China's soil, "registered organization" means registered with the Chinese government but not the American or foreign government)

If you still have doubts, you can read what you need when you want to transfer the ownership of the domain to another organization: You are required to prove your "organization status" before you are allowed to transfer.

第三章  注册域名的变更与注销

第十四条 申请转让已注册的域名,出让人应当向域名注册服务机构提交盖有申请单位公章或者经公证的域名转让申请表。经域名注册服务机构核准后,该域名由域名注册服务机构予以变更运行。

Rubber Duck
8th April 2007, 04:36 PM
Bottom line is that nobody is going to bet the farm until the rules have been widely understood and been legally tested.

Prodigy
8th April 2007, 04:40 PM
I have an entire folder full of this information, including documents on personal ownership.

RD, I agree with you on that, however, it does not help when misinformation is being spread by major contributors of this forum. I understand wanting to keep portfolio values high (particularly when one is heavily invested in .com) but the times are the times are the times and the facts are the facts are the facts.

Last tid bit that i'm going to share:

From the .JP Registry webpage:

.CN Rules and Regulations

.CN was, until recently, only available within China to Chinese registrants. It is now openly available outside of China

Available extensions include:
.cn
.com.cn
.net.cn
.org.cn

Some highlights of .CN domain names
There are no restrictions
They can be used just like .JP, .COM, or any other unrestricted domain
They can be registered by any business anywhere in the world
They can be hosted by servers anywhere in the world
There are no volume restrictions on the number of domains that can be registered
Certain domains will not be allowed to be registered. This includes, but is not limited to:
Chinese geographic locations
Chinese government names
.CN domains currently are only available in traditional English characters. .CN domains in Chinese characters are not available.

The rules and policies governing .CN domains are controlled within China by the China Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC). CNNIC undertakes the duties of operating and managing the domain name system, maintaining the domain name database, and supervising and controlling domain name registration services for .CN. All conflicts, issues, etc., are controlled by Chinese law.

To register a .CN domain, you must agree to the following terms and conditions: (A popup can be found on this page: http://www.japanregistry.co.jp/usercontract.php)

CNNIC has posted a policy regarding intellectual property disputes on its website. The policy is very similar to the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) common in other Web domains. Visit http://www.cnnic.net.cn/doc/e-10.shtml to read more.

There are certain restrictions on allowable content for the .CN domain. Please refer to the China Internet Domain Name Regulations, found online on the CNNIC website (http://www.cnnic.net.cn/doc/e-8.shtml).

Giant
8th April 2007, 04:40 PM
"If all the animals on the equator were capable of flattery, then Thanksgiving and Christmas would fall on the same date"

Do your research.

BTW, i'll give u a freebie because this don't require research:

This is from the neulevel.cn website:

Does a company or organization need a subsidiary in China in order to acquire a .CN name?
No.

Is there a Nexus requirement for Registrants?
No. Under recently announced .CN policy, Registrars may accept .CN registrations from users worldwide.

For personal ownership that wasn't a very nice comment so you can go look for it yourself.

You are really funny!

Who is neulevel.cn? You don't read CNNIC's rules but trust a nobody like neulevel.cn LOL

CNNIC is a tiny technical organization under Ministry of Information Industry (信产部). CNNIC set the rules based on the instructions from Ministry of Information Industry.

You need to learn how to read legal documents especially those from China. If the rules say domain applicant SHOULD BE a registered organization, they mean a "registered organization" NOT an individual person. Period.

I looked at neulevel.cn's website, they are not ICANN or CNNIC accredited registrar, how can they know applicants for DotCN domains don't have to follow CNNIC's registration rules?

The fact that some foreign companies selling DotCN domains should not be interpreted as individual foreigners are exepmted from following "rules". CNNIC's excuse to let foreign registrars do the registrations just for providing more convinience to foreigners like me living in Canada but also doing business in China. Of course, as everybody loves money, CNNIC love to have more incomes too, but rules are still rules, the victim is never CNNIC.

Rubber Duck
8th April 2007, 04:44 PM
I was registering ASCII dot CN before I got into IDN. Must be 4 or 5 years ago. All sold or dropped.

I have IDN dot CN coming up for second renewal.

Sounds like your info is a bit dated Chinastar!

Giant, Neulevel handles all dot CN registrations outside China.

Prodigy
8th April 2007, 04:48 PM
I was registering ASCII dot CN before I got into IDN. Must be 4 or 5 years ago. All sold or dropped.

Rules and regulations for .CN registration have not turned for the worse in the past 5 years.

Giant: Wow. For a philosopher preaching the benefits of "one world" you bring a whole new meaning to misinformed.

http://news.3yen.com/wp-content/images/pot_kettle.jpg

Giant
8th April 2007, 05:14 PM

The fact that some foreign companies selling DotCN domains should not be interpreted as individual foreigners are exepmted from following "rules". CNNIC's excuse to let foreign registrars do the registrations just for providing more convinience to foreigners like me living in Canada but also doing business in China. Of course, as all officials in China love money, CNNIC love to have more incomes too, but rules are still rules, the victim is never CNNIC.

Many businessmen came to China early in the 80s and 90s lost money because they interpreted Chinese laws by themselves. In China, a lot of business look very legal and have been in existence for many years, but when time comes for crackdown, all these business disappear.

If you plan to do business in China or you are now doing business in China, please always remember, you only do what the law says explicitly you are ok to do so.

cdehoo
8th April 2007, 06:33 PM
"registered organization" means organizations registered with the Chinese government but not the American or foreign governments)

This only is you to this rule's explanation!
registered organization ,Without the limit to say must be China!
Until now nobody because this reason have the trouble,
How did you prove your explanation is right?

prove your "organization status" is not must.
或者=or!
或者经公证的域名转让申请表
or notarization's domain name transfer request form.

touchring
8th April 2007, 07:00 PM
Well, actually, both sides are right. Giant is right, Chinastar is also right. cdehoo is also right.

Why?

Because the rules are just rules (as worthy as the paper it is written on!).

If your name gets taken away when someone decides your name is too valuable and wants to "bend the rule", you become the exception! And what about the rule? Yes, the rules still stands, so, the onus is for you to defend your rights.

And if you want to know how people in china defend their "rights", you should read this:

Mr. Yang is a former kung-fu champion who is admired for his defiant attitude and his toughness. Last week, he used two steel pipes to climb up to his home from the 10-metre-deep pit that surrounds it. At the top, he waved a Chinese flag and a banner reading "No violation of legitimate private property."

Brandishing a set of wooden clubs, he shouted to onlookers: "If anyone dares to come up, I'll beat them back down."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070326.wxchinahouse26/BNStory/International/home

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20070326/wxchinahouse26/_done_0326nailhouse_600big.jpg

Bottomline: Invest in .cn, go ahead, there's a bright future, but be mentally prepared, and don't have a heart attack if one day you login to find a name or two missing!

Giant
8th April 2007, 07:13 PM
This only is you to this rule's explanation!
registered organization ,Without the limit to say must be China!
Until now nobody because this reason have the trouble,
How did you prove your explanation is right?

That's why any Chinese wants to be a lawyer needs to go to law school. The ways to interpret laws are all the same throughout China.

When the laws or rules written in Chinese and published in China, all the terms "registered organization", "legal entity"... are status granted by the Chinese government for carrying out business in China. A foreign company wants to be called as such needs to register with the Chinese government as a legal business or a representative office in China.

prove your "organization status" is not must.
或者=or!
或者经公证的域名转让申请表
or notarization's domain name transfer request form.

1. 盖有申请单位公章 或者 2. 经公证的域名转让申请表

Correct, 或者 means "OR"

To prove your company or organization status, you can:

1. Put your company's seal on the Transfer Request Form.

OR

2. Get the form be notarized by authority that your status is indeed "company" or "organization" (no need company seal in this case)

Still need more help? :-)

blastfromthepast
8th April 2007, 07:21 PM
The mission of the representative office is to act as a liaison between the home office and
trade organizations or related industries in China. Representative offices often engage in
market research and establish contacts with prospective customers and partners. It is
important to remember that the representative office is not a separate legal entity. Rather,
it is an extension of its parent company.
A representative office may only engage in non-profit making activities. Accordingly,
the representative office may engage in any of the following functions: conducting
research and providing data and promotion materials to potential clients and partners;
conducting research and surveying for its parent company in the local market; liaising
with local and foreign contacts in China on behalf of it’s parent company; acting as a
coordinator for the parent company’s activities in China; making travel arrangements for
parent company representatives and potential Chinese clients; and other non-profit
making business activities.
That being said, a representative office is restricted from engaging in the following
activities: directly engaging in any business for profit (i.e., it may not receive fees for
services it provides); signing contracts or deals on behalf of the parent company;
representing any firm other than its parent company; collecting money or invoicing
organizations/individuals within China for services or products; buying property or
importing production equipment.

cdehoo
8th April 2007, 07:38 PM
Simple question,Please email enom,register,godaddy,dd24... or cnnic.

Giant
8th April 2007, 08:06 PM
The mission of the representative office is to act as a liaison between the home office and
trade organizations or related industries in China. Representative offices often engage in
market research and establish contacts with prospective customers and partners. It is
important to remember that the representative office is not a separate legal entity. Rather,
it is an extension of its parent company.
A representative office may only engage in non-profit making activities. Accordingly,
the representative office may engage in any of the following functions: conducting
research and providing data and promotion materials to potential clients and partners;
conducting research and surveying for its parent company in the local market; liaising
with local and foreign contacts in China on behalf of it’s parent company; acting as a
coordinator for the parent company’s activities in China; making travel arrangements for
parent company representatives and potential Chinese clients; and other non-profit
making business activities.
That being said, a representative office is restricted from engaging in the following
activities: directly engaging in any business for profit (i.e., it may not receive fees for
services it provides); signing contracts or deals on behalf of the parent company;
representing any firm other than its parent company; collecting money or invoicing
organizations/individuals within China for services or products; buying property or

Yes, status is very important in China.

A foreign company wants to be treated as a legal entity in China needs to register with the Chinese government or atleast get the recognition from a established Chinese company or organization.

For example:

I carry my (foreign) corporation papers and company seal with me to attend a formal conference in China and if my company hasn't registered with the Chinese government, I need an invitation from a local corporation or organization for me to represent my company, or I will be treated as an "individual" and probably barred from entering the conference.

A representative can do very little thing in China, sometimes can't even apply for a DotCN domain. But by setting up a representative office in China, you enjoy a like-company's status. EX, you can apply for a Business Visa (1 year or more), otherwise, just a Tourists' Visa (3 months).

touchring
9th April 2007, 04:24 AM

Interesting, i didn't know that a trade representative cannot issue an invoice.

touchring
16th April 2007, 05:37 AM
New nail house in Shenzhen. :)

Note the section in bold.

http://simonworld.mu.nu/archives/nailhousesz.jpg

Developers wanting to turn a Shenzhen site into the city's tallest building are being blocked by an obstinate Hong Kong man whose building has become the mainland's latest "nail house" holdout. Choi Chu-cheung's six-floor villa in the booming central business district stands isolated in the middle of a huge construction site and the 57-year-old says it will stay until he gets more compensation. Mr Choi and his wife, Zhang Lianhao, are standing firm despite an order by the Shenzhen land resources and housing management bureau last month ordering his family to move out by yesterday.

He admits he has been inspired by a Chongqing couple who held out for 11 days, while their house stood on a mound in the middle of 10-metre-deep pit, until the developers paid up. "The couple is my model. I'm sure I will win this battle as they did," Mr Choi said of the pair, whose home was dubbed the "coolest nail house" - slang for holdouts who refuse to be hammered down while their houses stand erect like nails after those around are demolished.

Mr Choi and his wife have repeatedly rejected a cash compensation offer from the developers, who want to turn the Caiwuwei site into an 88-storey financial centre. The other 389 households accepted the developers' compensation and moved out earlier this year.

The couple have demanded that the developers offer them a new block of land of similar size near the financial centre so they could rebuild or increase the offer from 5.06 million yuan to 14 million yuan.

"According to my property rights certificate, I own more than 779 square metres," said Mr Choi, who lived in a village on the site before moving to Hong Kong. "They only offered to pay us 6,500 yuan per square metre but housing prices in this area have reached more than 18,000 yuan per square metre. I want to be paid the current market value. If not, I won't let them redevelop my land. This is our choice, the choice of the property owner."

An administrator from the Caiwuwei redevelopment office said the demands were unreasonable. "Mr Choi's land was actually Caiwuwei village collective rural land when he was one of the villagers. After 1992, the land became state-owned," the administrator said. "His land belongs to the state. He has no right to ask the government to give him new land." He said the developers had offered very good compensation and, if the couple refused to move out, the village would ask the courts for a forced eviction...

Mainland homeowners forced off their properties have repeatedly fought developers and local government to protect their assets.

"Mr Choi's land was actually Caiwuwei village collective rural land when he was one of the villagers. After 1992, the land became state-owned,"

Does this land look like a rural land??

A Chinese national flag is raised atop a house, standing in the centre of a ten-metre-deep pit dug by the real estate developter, in southwest China's Chongqing Municipality, on March 21, a day before the deadline for the owner to move out sentenced by local court. The house' owner refused to go due to compensation disagreement with the developer. [newsphoto][/QUOTE]

Giant
16th April 2007, 07:34 AM
Caiwuwei is next to the tallest building of Shenzhen "LandKing Building", the prime real estate area in SZ.

I lived in the 32-stories building located between this Nail House and the tallest building in 2002.

http://www.idncollector.com/caiwuwei.jpg

touchring
16th April 2007, 07:48 AM
After 1992, the land became state-owned -> what does this mean? I know a lot of land in china is state own. Private ownship is a rarity.

Giant
16th April 2007, 02:17 PM
After 1992, the land became state-owned -> what does this mean? I know a lot of land in china is state own. Private ownship is a rarity.
Shenzhen was basically a tiny town of farmlands. When it was developed into a city by Deng Xiaoping in the 80s, developers bought the right to use the land from the villagers and most of the villagers had become Yuan millionairs.

The property in a village is managed by a Board of Directors of that village and every villager shares a piece of the fortune of the village. Villagers were entitled to share the property but they did not inherit the property from any "legal ownership" because all lands were state-owned. It's hard (and flexible at the same time) to define ownership of property in China because the concept of ownership is changing every month as China is gradually becoming a capitalist country. The same piece of land was state-owned in 1992 could be a legal privately-owned land by today's laws.