PDA

View Full Version : China Online Ad Boom Begins

Prodigy
10th April 2007, 12:59 PM
Tencent Inc, the largest instant message service provider in China, will focus more on online advertising to diversify its portfolio and compete with Sina.com and Baidu.com in the country's rapidly growing Internet ads market, company officials said yesterday.

http://www.chinadaily.cn/bizchina/2007-04/10/content_847331.htm

Rubber Duck
10th April 2007, 01:20 PM
Upgrade it branding?

What does that mean?

How do you upgrade QQ.com?

zenmarketing
10th April 2007, 03:01 PM
Tencent has the reputation of being for "kids" or teenagers who do nothing but chat and play games.

I guess by "upgrading their branding", they mean that they want to change their image to appeal to a broader demographic, and gain the respect of advertisers.

Rubber Duck
10th April 2007, 03:13 PM
Tencent has the reputation of being for "kids" or teenagers who do nothing but chat and play games.

I guess by "upgrading their branding", they mean that they want to change their image to appeal to a broader demographic, and gain the respect of advertisers.

Yes, but does this involve changing the name? Are they looking at switching to IDN Address?

blastfromthepast
10th April 2007, 03:50 PM
Why would they want to do that? That means they wouldn't be as cool anymore with kids who are the primary consumers of the chat and games product.

touchring
10th April 2007, 04:48 PM
Their corporate name is really weird, tencent. Not tencents?

zenmarketing
10th April 2007, 05:19 PM
Touchring, it's because their actual brand is 腾讯 for which the pinyin is "teng xun" -- I guess they decided "Tencent" sort of sounded like that.

Bizarrely, 腾讯.com is showing as available in whois, however it is showing as not available during registration attempts. (Using Moniker)

Looks like they own 腾讯.net however:
http://whois.domaintools.com/xn--r70as2s.net

So, there might be some IDN plans in the future for this company.

Drewbert
10th April 2007, 06:42 PM
Bizarrely, 腾讯.com is showing as available in whois, however it is showing as not available during registration attempts. (Using Moniker)

Even more bizarrely, it's because it's blocked by their registration of the trad variant.

Talk about back arsewards.