PDA

View Full Version : What makes a domain name forum successful?

SciFi
10th April 2007, 08:03 PM
What makes a domain name forum successful?
There are probably 10 to 20 DN forums, some very successful, and some are not.

What's the recipe?;)

domainguru
10th April 2007, 08:41 PM
What makes a domain name forum successful?
There are probably 10 to 20 DN forums, some very successful, and some are not.

What's the recipe?;)

Absence of timewasters like you? Still got the ";" affliction I see ....

SciFi
10th April 2007, 08:49 PM
Why all that negativity?
How about some thoughtful answers.
For everybody's benefit.
;)

filmlion
10th April 2007, 09:18 PM
being first in the niche;
good marketing;
viral tools like "tell your friend";
initial works (inviting all friends and all their friends to help with promotions);
targeted some very particular aspects of the field;
good budget advertising;
luck. :)

Giant
10th April 2007, 09:50 PM
Absence of phishing domain sellers!

SciFi
10th April 2007, 10:11 PM
Well,
dnlocal.com has all the right ingredients: good script, great layout, etc.. - and yet it's dead in the water. What's wrong?;)

alpha
10th April 2007, 10:14 PM
such a ;) prick ;)

Rubber Duck
11th April 2007, 12:01 AM
Well,
dnlocal.com has all the right ingredients: good script, great layout, etc.. - and yet it's dead in the water. What's wrong?;)

Actually, no DNLocal does not have it all. As you will all learn site development is a journey not a destination. At DNL we have had a bloody rocky path, and we have still a way to go to get critical momentum.

Hard work and the right strategic decisions will yield results in the end. Some huge challenges have been faced, and we have been very successful at a technical level.

Anyway in the near future you can look forward to more exciting developments, so keep checking us out. And of course if you have something useful to post, we are are always interested in quality content.

blastfromthepast
11th April 2007, 01:51 AM
What's the recipe?;)

A good domain name.

Wot
11th April 2007, 02:22 AM
Quality contributors who rarely, if ever, have a disagreement with their peers :rolleyes:

blastfromthepast
11th April 2007, 02:27 AM
Quality contributors who rarely, if ever, have a disagreement with their peers :rolleyes:

What is the point of posting then? In the spark for argumentive discussion, something new comes up.

Even in societies like Japan that value harmonious yes-men, the true heart comes out in highly combative, nasty, free for all forums, like 2chan where people say it like it is.

Wot
11th April 2007, 02:30 AM
What is the point of posting then? In the spark fo argumentive discussion, something new comes up.

Even in societies like Japan that value harmonious yes-men, the true heart comes out in highly combative, nasty, free for all forums, like 2chan where people say it like it is.

Cast the right bait upon the water and the fish will bite :)

blastfromthepast
11th April 2007, 02:36 AM
Are you a man or a mouse?

Olney
11th April 2007, 02:39 AM
2 channel also ruined the thought of posting on sites & owning forums in Japan. You do realize that the guy who owns 2 channel would be locked up instantly for all the lawsuits against him here. Not a good example of a "good forum". If it wasn't for 2 channel, forums would be more regularly used by Japanese.

What is the point of posting then? In the spark fo argumentive discussion, something new comes up.

blastfromthepast
11th April 2007, 02:43 AM
2 channel also ruined the thought of posting on sites & owning forums in Japan. You do realize that the guy who owns 2 channel would be locked up instantly for all the lawsuits against him here. Not a good example of a "good forum". If it wasn't for 2 channel, forums would be more regularly used by Japanese.

From what I hear, he gets off pretty well by claiming not to have the technical ability to trace posters.

Olney
11th April 2007, 03:34 AM
I've been a bit busy to look at the news for the last month but last I heard he was still on the run because of the lawsuits. Companies, celebrities, & everyone is is trying to sue him. He vanished, he's going to have multiple lawsuits, hows he getting over?
That site's costing companies a lot of money... They are suing to shut it down because it's bad for company's reps. It might not be so obvious on how it's costing companies money but I can firmly say it is...

From what I hear, he gets off pretty well by claiming not to have the technical ability to trace posters.

There is no magic formula for a successful domain forum. It's a very small niche.
Success is measured differently by everyone.

SciFi
11th April 2007, 04:18 AM
And here it is,
we love free idnforums and Olney, it's benign dictator.
And most of us love to hate dnforum.
;)

Olney
11th April 2007, 04:37 AM
We all not all in accord, & I'm not trying to rule anything guy.
Members here are members on DNF too, no one member & especially not me make up what the general membership thinks.

And here it is,
we love free idnforums and Olney, it's benign dictator.
And most of us love to hate dnforum.
;)

Wot
11th April 2007, 07:19 AM
Are you a man or a mouse?

Now how did you know I am a cheese fanatic :eek:

jacksonm
11th April 2007, 08:18 AM
Having a database that hangs all the freakin time obviously doesn't seem to hamper success :rolleyes:

Subjectively, I think idnforums.com is just a much better name than dnlocal.com.

Olney
11th April 2007, 08:29 AM
If this becomes a comparison thread it will be closed..

alpha
11th April 2007, 08:33 AM
If this becomes a comparison thread it will be closed..

it should be closed anyway. This thread is just a scifi trolling effort

Olney
11th April 2007, 08:35 AM
Point taken, I was hoping members would take the discussion to how to create a successful online community but this one will be closed...