PDA

View Full Version : Search in Chinese

15th April 2007, 07:27 AM
What is the most common word used for the word 'search' in chinese?

I saw the thread suggesting it is selling Search.tv ( 搜.tv ) but i also have this: 搜索.tv
What is the diffrence from these two?

TIA,
Michael.

IDNer
15th April 2007, 07:47 AM

I saw the thread suggesting it is selling Search.tv ( 搜.tv ) but i also have this: 搜索.tv

TIA,
Michael.

搜索 & 搜 both same meaning - SEARCH
(搜尋 means SEARCH too)
You may check which is the most common by "SEARCH engine"

[What is the diffrence from these two?] -
搜 is one word
搜索 is two words

I believe that people always write & say "搜索 (or 搜尋)",
"搜" sounds not a complete phrase...

15th April 2007, 08:00 AM
Thanks IDNer.

PhoenixSuns
15th April 2007, 09:10 AM
Taka a look at these two most famous vertical serach engines in China.
www.tvsou.com it is the most popular serach engine for tv. It is called "搜“”视“
www.soufun.com it is the most popular srach engine for real estate. It is called "搜“”房“

"Sou" means "Search"exactly in Chinese. Great Great potential for Video or TV search.
The most famous chinese tv search engine is www.tvSOU.com.
also, there are huge amount of serach engines in chinese has the "sou" in their domain, even Yahoo launches his chinese search engine,which is called "yiSou.com", yi means Number one, sou means Search. Another very famous serach engine is ZhongSou.com, Zhong means China, Sou of course means Search.

"SOU" is extremely popular for search engines in China. By approximate estimate, not less than 50 all sorts of search engines has the "SOU" in their domain.

Google Results for " SOU" 49,900,000
Google Results for "搜“ 140,000,000

FYI, I list some search engines websites in Chinese with "sou" in their domain names

www.sou.cc (even .cc domain was developed)
www.sou.la (.la also developed)
www.yiSOU.com
www.zhongSOU.com
www.shangSOU.com
www.tvSOU.com
www.qiSOU.com
www.SOUgou.com
www.SOUk.cn
www.SOUfun.com
www.SOUyo.com
www.sou.com.cn
www.sou.cn
www.quanSOU.com
www.kuaiSOU.com
www.SOUwang.com
www.SOUv.net
www.iSOU.com
www.aiSOU.com
www.51SOU.com
www.eSOU.com
www.zhongguoSOU.com
www.SOUlou.com
www.daSOU.com
www.cangSOU.com
www.ruiSOU.com
www.SouDV.com
www.SouV.net

Look above domains, They only have "Sou" or "搜“ in their domain, Many Vertical Search engines in China use the ”Sou" then"搜”
Not any one have the "SouSuo"or ”搜索“ in them.

So, in my opinion, it is much much more polular in domain "sou" than "sousuo", or 搜 than 搜索。

I am from Mainland China, I am definitely sure.

http://www.soufun.com/image/homepage/soufun_logo.gif

http://www.tvsou.com/images/logo.gif

TIA,
Michael.

Let me expalin this way:

Sou=搜=Search
SouSuo=搜索=Serach

Sou is very popular in domains in China; SouSuo is very rare and weird if in domains.

clipper
15th April 2007, 10:10 AM
Great explanation, Phoenix.

touchring
15th April 2007, 01:23 PM
[What is the diffrence from these two?] -
搜 is one word
搜索 is two words

Should be:

搜 is one character.
搜索 is one word.

Chinese words usually come in pairs. Characters are not necessary (and usually not) words.

A quick check on Google trends will reveal - http://www.google.com/trends?q=%E6%90%9C%E7%B4%A2%2C+%E6%90%9C

markits
15th April 2007, 01:38 PM
Phoenix is right, for web address purpose, 搜 (sou) is more popular than 搜索 (sousuo).

In term of searching Keywords, 搜索 is more popular and Touch and google are right.

15th April 2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments.

PhoenixSuns
15th April 2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks all for your clarification and input. This is really a great community for IDN.

Giant
15th April 2007, 08:17 PM
搜 and 搜索 are exactly the same in meaning, but they are different grammatically.

1. 搜 is used as a verb or a verb form noun (gerund in English) most of the time.
2. 搜索 is used as a noun most of the time.

When we use Google to search, we tend to type in a noun to search. That explains the result of Google Trends:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=%E6%90%9C%E7%B4%A2%2C+%E6%90%9C

When the word "search" is used by itself, 搜索 is preferred. But when combined with another word to make a new term, 搜 is often used especially when indicating an action.

For Example: 搜房 (searching-houses)

For combined terms, if the emphasis is on the word "search" then "search" is often a noun and therefore 搜索 is used.

For example: 房屋搜索 (houses-search)

Following the rules for making combined terms, we often use a double-character word 房屋 instead of a single-character word 房 to match with 搜索 to make a new term. And we use a single-character word 房 to match with 搜 in the case 搜房. A Chinese combined term is either 2-character or 4-character and rarely 3-character or more than 4 characters.

touchring
15th April 2007, 08:56 PM
I think the issue is whether you want future PPC, or you want "brandability".

PhoenixSuns
15th April 2007, 09:09 PM

Yeah, you give us the point.

Very clear explanation.

So, Sou.TV or "搜".TV is very much make sense to brand as "Search TV", that is why I like them very much and reged them. :)
Search here should be a verb.

Thanks for your enligntening information.

搜 and 搜索 are exactly the same in meaning, but they are different grammatically.

1. 搜 is used as a verb or a verb form noun (gerund in English) most of the time.
2. 搜索 is used as a noun most of the time.

When we use Google to search, we tend to type in a noun to search. That explains the result of Google Trends:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=%E6%90%9C%E7%B4%A2%2C+%E6%90%9C

When the word "search" is used by itself, 搜索 is preferred. But when combined with another word to make a new term, 搜 is often used especially when indicating an action.

For Example: 搜房 (searching-houses)

For combined terms, if the emphasis is on the word "search" then "search" is often a noun and therefore 搜索 is used.

For example: 房屋搜索 (houses-search)

Following the rules for making combined terms, we often use a double-character word 房屋 instead of a single-character word 房 to match with 搜索 to make a new term. And we use a single-character word 房 to match with 搜 in the case 搜房. A Chinese combined term is either 2-character or 4-character and rarely 3-character or more than 4 characters.

http://www.wangluo.tv/soutv.gif

23rd April 2007, 01:05 PM

Both are fine :)

Phoenix , paypal sent.