PDA

View Full Version : questions about arabic domains

jacksonm
18th April 2007, 08:03 PM
hi,
Is this character لأ ok in a domain name or not? Is that an accent or what? Is it ok to use it in a domain name?

Also, what about combination words in arabic? What is the commonly accepted way, using the ascii - character as a seperator, or what?

Thanks

thefabfive
18th April 2007, 08:12 PM
ل + أ = لأ

It's fine to use in a domain assuming that is the correct way of spelling it.

I'd probably stay away from using a - in Arabic domains.

jacksonm
18th April 2007, 08:15 PM
ل + أ = لأ

Thanks.

So you are saying that multi-word domain names are not possible?

Rubber Duck
18th April 2007, 08:16 PM
hi,
Is this character لأ ok in a domain name or not? Is that an accent or what? Is it ok to use it in a domain name?

Also, what about combination words in arabic? What is the commonly accepted way, using the ascii - character as a seperator, or what?

Thanks

The ribbonshaped symbol is two letters merged. The little character at the top is Hamza (glotal stop), which is actually a letter of the alphabet, but when written out full is just like a hyphen.

There are different opinions. This form is a more classical form but is often used in certain circumstances. Some insists that companies will want these classical forms for their addresses, others disagree. Arabs are a bit like the French in as much as it only takes two to have four opinions so there are no easy answers until it actually happens.

My advice is that if it shows up in search in large numbers it is good. If it doesn't then it is risky but not necessarily bad. Try searching between speech marks to see if that affects the results, as Google sometimes returns equivalents as results. If you search in speech marks it will only return exact matches.

ل + أ = لأ

I have stayed away from hypens. Some combinations don't merge and therefore seem acceptable without the hyphen. From conversations I have had recently though it would seem that hyphens may prove acceptable.

thefabfive
18th April 2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks.

No, it's possible. However, sometimes the last character of the first word and first character of the second word will join together altering the combination. In this case I would probably avoid the domain. Other times the characters will not interact in this way, in which case if the domain is sufficiently enticing I would go for it. Always check search results and Ovt though.

jacksonm
18th April 2007, 08:30 PM
No, it's possible. However, sometimes the last character of the first word and first character of the second word will join together altering the combination. In this case I would probably avoid the domain. Other times the characters will not interact in this way, in which case if the domain is sufficiently enticing I would go for it. Always check search results and Ovt though.

OK, thanks. What about the case where the two word combo is extremely enticing, and putting them together alters the combination? Is "-" acceptable/desirable or not?

thefabfive
18th April 2007, 08:32 PM
I'd have to defer to Fka or g on the use of the hyphen. I would make sure that character is available on the Arabic keyboard though.

jacksonm
18th April 2007, 09:00 PM

Also, what is a good US OVT for arabics? I found one with 407 US OVT...

tee1
18th April 2007, 09:06 PM
I'd have to defer to Fka or g on the use of the hyphen. I would make sure that character is available on the Arabic keyboard though.
I would second that, both are great resources. Also g posted several hints a year or so ago check those out.

As far as ovt, 407 is good imo, ovt on arabic/persian terms seems to have dropped within the last year. Also, check recent sales and the uvOVT on those those. I personally would pick up a generic arabic term with 407 usOVT.

tee1

Rubber Duck
18th April 2007, 09:26 PM
I must admit I don't even bother with Overture for Arabic. I tend to go on Google results if they are backed-up with enough of the right images.

I would second that, both are great resources. Also g posted several hints a year or so ago check those out.

As far as ovt, 407 is good imo, ovt on arabic/persian terms seems to have dropped within the last year. Also, check recent sales and the uvOVT on those those. I personally would pick up a generic arabic term with 407 usOVT.

tee1

tee1
18th April 2007, 09:47 PM
I must admit I don't even bother with Overture for Arabic. I tend to go on Google results if they are backed-up with enough of the right images.
good point and check google.com/trends as well.

tee1

alpha
18th April 2007, 10:04 PM

some of my biggest payers are combo terms. Adult does particularly well no surprise.

FKA is a great guy, he has helped me out no end with Arabic - highly recommended.
and so is g also - great guys and helpful the both of them

On the overture, think of it as more of a bonus. If everything else says yes, and it has a strong ovt xxx-xxxx then you're definately on to something

also don't shy away from .net - there are many great .nets in Arabic unregged - and they do very well - again my top earners are dominated by .nets

because typein is not happening, the revenue makers are coming from search - so .nets are as good as coms. So a good .net is better than a crappier .com

if you want, you can browse my .com arabics (all translated & verified by FKA) and grab some .nets. just pm me for a list

Fka200
18th April 2007, 11:10 PM
It won't get traffic [Just my opinion, I think.]. I have a domain like that in .com and I think it's gotten two visitors. لإ

Added some more:

Adult is great, after long nights of searching I have left some regs free when I was searching for Arabics back in November.

The hyphen sucks. Sorry, but it does. I'd assume it would be OK if developed, but I have been to busy to see if it makes a difference with development or not.

You can always PM me if you have any questions. I get a lot of things verified before I give advice as well. I'm in somewhat of a financial screw up, so am considering trimming my portfolio down if I can't solve some problems [but I fear I may just pay Dave the cash to be included in the auction next month instead... choices choices choices] so am considering selling out 30-40 of my names.

jacksonm
19th April 2007, 07:05 AM
It won't get traffic [Just my opinion, I think.]. I have a domain like that in .com and I think it's gotten two visitors. لإ

I am not talking about a single character domain, just wondering if that was an accented character or not. RD explained it quite well, so no further question there.

Added some more:

Adult is great, after long nights of searching I have left some regs free when I was searching for Arabics back in November.

The hyphen sucks. Sorry, but it does. I'd assume it would be OK if developed, but I have been to busy to see if it makes a difference with development or not.

Does the hyphen suck in arabics the same way it sucks in ascii, or does it suck worse because of something to do with the arabic script, rtl, etc? I can see where e.g. "onlinepoker.com" is more valuable than "online-poker.com", but even the latter would be worth thousands... And if writing "onlinepoker" changes into "onlitiopoker", for example, when typing the two words together, then the hyphen becomes absolutely necessary IMO. I'm not searching for poker domains, I'll leave that to bossman, just using that as an example in english.

You can always PM me if you have any questions. I get a lot of things verified before I give advice as well. I'm in somewhat of a financial screw up, so am considering trimming my portfolio down if I can't solve some problems [but I fear I may just pay Dave the cash to be included in the auction next month instead... choices choices choices] so am considering selling out 30-40 of my names.

OK, thanks for the offer.

Rubber Duck
19th April 2007, 08:26 AM
Good News, well, at least what I say may help!

Due to the getting a organised a bit late this month, Jose is still tinkering with the Auction Platform, and also having something of a Chicken and Egg situation with buyers and sellers, we have decided to lower the bar considerably for Sellers.

For this month only, we are going to charge just 2% of Reserve Price to enter your name into the Elite Auction, that price applies whether or not the domain sells. This should massively reduce the upfront cost for Sellers wishing to enter the Auction.

As previous announced but not perhaps widely understood, we have also introduced and Introductory Period for Buyers. This means that during this period, buyers will pay the $100 refundable deposit, but it will be refunded at the end of the Introductory period, but the qualification of he buyer will stand indefinitely. That effectively means free entry. When we have a proven business model, we will be charging a non-refundable entry fee which will be at least $100.

I personally have entered 4 quality names at the mimimum reserve, and will probably look at entering more later, if there is sufficient buyer interest.

Added some more:

alpha
19th April 2007, 08:49 AM
..we have decided to lower the bar considerably for Sellers...

This is probably not the right place to have this debate (i.e in this thread and maybe even on this forum - but I feel compelled to reply)

you know my feelings on this.. and by lowering the bar, you are dilluting what could have been an Elite auction, to what is probably going to turn into a "Normal" auction. Like we see in forums every day of the year.

I will be real clear in my positioning of this: you need to differentiate and you need to position it as "Elite".

That means huge names at huge prices with big buyers and sellers.

If you cannot get all of those elements then you can't have an Elite Auction. Simply supplementing one or all of those elements with something lesser is not the answer. If the market isn't ready, it's not ready.

- that is not the same as above average names with every tom-dick-and harry selling their wares.

A car boot sale is not the model you should be adopting.

It will fail miserably if you do not heed this.

But i know your position on this, and you know mine - but I wanted to go on record saying it.

You get once chance to do it right first time and to make an impact, don't f*ck it up just because the market isn't ready.

Rubber Duck
19th April 2007, 09:27 AM
We are not intending to change the principles of the Auction, all we are doing is offer a discount in commissions for the first auction. That is normal business practice. We realise if there is no market for top end domains, there is no market for the rest either.

The main principles of this Auction are solid translations, which is absolutely sacrosant, and that of buyer qualification, which is being fudged a little, but we consider that this will have no long-term detriment. OK, it will effectively end up cost nothing to join, if you join immediately, but the sanction of being excluded still remains, so we will have control over the quality of the buyers. Expect entry fees to the Auction to go up in line with demand. Also be aware that only a limited number will be accepted under this Introductory Period. As soon as we consider we have an adequate pool of buyers on board, the offer will close. I think Mulligan and I between us know exactly who we mean by serious buyers.

Like all organisations we need to listen avidly to our customers. We are not, however, going to be greatly swayed by those that are not participating but feel that have a right to influence things.

alpha
19th April 2007, 09:37 AM
I think Mulligan and I between us know exactly who we mean by serious buyers

actually I would hoped you don't know.

new buyers, new blood, an extended customer base is what you need. This is not about trying to convince the small number of historically larger buyers that are already here.

Rubber Duck
19th April 2007, 09:58 AM
actually I would hoped you don't know.

new buyers, new blood, an extended customer base is what you need. This is not about trying to convince the small number of historically larger buyers that are already here.

No of course we don't know who might come into the market, but we know they will only turn up if there is something interesting happening.

There is no market for IDN outside this Forum. Moniker and Sedo have both screwed up big time on IDN, and it has taken me ten minutes to reply to this post because everytime I tried to access the bloody database my whole system locks up, so trying to organise a realtime auction on here would be a complete and utter waste of time. The existing market place offers none of feature that the new buyers you are hypotheising about would seek, such as good domains, as sensible prices with a high quality of translations and a lack of "noise" as it is often described. What we have here has severed us reasonably well to date but in its current form it going precisely nowhere.

If high calibre new entrant buyers are out there, they will only come in if the conditions are right. They will expect to see a well organised and well regulated market place. Such a market can only be formed from existing players.

It would seem that most here don't currently share our vision. Many seem to think that I and others should commit to long-term slavery to serve what is mockingly called a community. I am not sure why, people have not support our efforts to establish and Elite Forum. It could be just be because they haven't the vision, it could be because they genuinely cannot afford the fees, it could be they are simply insanely jealous of what others are attempting to do. Almost none of them appear to be looking the greater good and looking to see how they can be supportive or particpate in the initiative of others. Most of on here could have participated in the DNL project if they had shown some reall interest and commitment.

The bottom line is if there is no organised market for the next six months or so, and consequently no momentum for IDN, who is going to lose out the most? Is it going to be me? I think not. Yes, it will cost me but I will get by. Those constantly whinge and moan and do nothing are likely to be impacted the most. It is not just about buying and selling either, the whole infrastructure than IDN requires is being held up due to the apparent lack of any serious interest. We need to change that perspective and we need to change it now. Or do I just join the rest of the " F*ck you Jack" economy?

alpha
19th April 2007, 10:10 AM
Rd this comes back to the same old thing time and time again.

I and others here think we are in for the long haul. 2-3 yrs.

I don't expect much to happen before then.

others i.e you - believe it will all be happening in the next few months. Maybe you really believe that, or maybe you need it to happen in the next few months. I don't know.

You talk about vision? you must be referring to rose-tinted glasses.

Rubber Duck
19th April 2007, 10:45 AM
Rd this comes back to the same old thing time and time again.

I and others here think we are in for the long haul. 2-3 yrs.

I don't expect much to happen before then.

others i.e you - believe it will all be happening in the next few months. Maybe you really believe that, or maybe you need it to happen in the next few months. I don't know.

You talk about vision? you must be referring to rose-tinted glasses.

Well, I think your time frame is completely wrong. Type-In traffic will start to emerge as soon as there is adequate browser support and content. We know that in China a least both will be here before the end of the year.

An aftermarket will emerge eventually. Even Sedo will eventually haul their arse out of bed and make some half-hearted effort to misrepresent the Asian IDN market.

What most of you seem to be doing, however, is looking star-struck at the Traffics fraternity, of whom I am getting increasingly frequent reports that might be dabbling in the market.

What we do know is that Frank Schilling for one likes to visit Snapnames. What you need to ask is why is that the case? And we do know that he is at least interested.

In my book, this is because it a well organised outlet, where he believes he is getting good deal for quality domains that are struck at the market value. He obviously and rightly feels that he is not being worked over in a market place that is full of phantom buyers and fake domains.

Of course, he is not the only big fish out there, and should not be our sole focus.
If, however, you want to attract people like this into your World, which I believe most people do, you need to convince these serious players that you are part of transparent market in valuable investments. If you can do this, they will come and they will buy.

Or you can take the Alphamale option, and stand around like wall-flowers for the next three years!

What I am telling you now is that we are going to give you great one off opportunities to join the party. Take it or leave it. See if I bloody care!

alpha
19th April 2007, 11:08 AM
Little Red Hen Chart

http://www.malesfamily.com/screenshots/redhen.jpg

Rubber Duck
19th April 2007, 11:24 AM
Little Red Hen Chart

http://www.malesfamily.com/screenshots/redhen.jpg

Well as an individual opinion it is of course valid, but possibly no more so than any other other opinion on here.

It constrasts starkly with the aspiration of many new comers to turn a positive cashflow within a fortnight. Clearly this view point is also very distorted, unless there are special circumstances.

The truth in reality could lie anywhere in the middle. My personal view is that now is the time to start trying to push things forward and attracting a larger pool of buyers by bring sales back into the public arena. Without increasing the size of the buyer pool, some of your more dire predictions do in fact become possible.

It is apparent, however, that this forum is attracting more Visitors and getting more sign ons than ever before. Unfortunately, most are not really the kind of big time investors that the market could really use.

The bottom line is generally speaking, not much is happening because almost nobody is prepared to get of their arse and actually do anything. Not something, anything at all! Lots of big ideas. Industry Associations, World Government, all sorts of well meaning BS, but the bottom line is recently that jointly the "Community" we here so much about, has achieved the square root of bugger all.

This is a unique opportunity to break out of the mallaise, but to do all we have here are publicly discouraging statements predicting failure.

If you are so bloody certain things will fail, why do you feel the need to try to kick them to death?

alpha
19th April 2007, 11:32 AM
If you are so bloody certain things will fail, why do you feel the need to try to kick them death?

Yes its just my forecast & intepretation.

Sometimes things have to get worse before they will get better - that's what I see coming, and thats what I am preparing for.

I am in this because I believe it will also turn good at some point. When that is, is anyones guess - but I reckon on 2-3 yrs, I also take a little comfort in that the 2-3 yrs time frame is a common prediction here.

Rubber Duck
19th April 2007, 11:39 AM
I would be interested on getting perspective on Native Language speakers from local markets on this.

How many of you that intimate knowledge of local markets actually agree with Alphamale?

I don't, but then there is probably no good reason to assume that I know better than he does, and it is no good going Frank's or Rick's blog to find the answers either. We need to hear from those close to the ground particular mainland China, which seems to leading the field by some distance now.