PDA

View Full Version : gTLD vs. ccTLD Values

bwhhisc
24th April 2007, 01:58 PM
Given the following

.biz is a gTLD (as is .com, .net, etc)

and .ws, .tv are ccTLD that also reg IDN

What are your opinions of the long range values for each market once the .com and .net market takes off?

Rubber Duck
24th April 2007, 02:27 PM
It is all down to mindshare and traffic.

Dot DE has demonstrated that it is not an unbreakable rule that dot Com will dominate everywhere, although there are few other good examples. If you go into Eastern Europe, however, loyalty to the ccTLD is very strong.

If I though dot Biz was going to be big in the Far East, then I would have got some, but then who I am to say the Snows are wrong.

As with anything else success tends to breed success. It is difficult to see how extension that have been branded failures are going to substantially turn things around in a foreign culture which they were never created to serve.

I don't think in general minor ccTLDs acting as proxy gTLDs have much future. It there is to be an exception that proves the rule, it will be dot TV.

Given the following

What are your opinions of the long range values for each market once the .com and .net market takes off?

touchring
24th April 2007, 02:33 PM
Given the following

In north east asia, face matters - that is branding matters. People wear branded, buy branded cars.

cctld and exotic gltd will mostly be a development/ppc play.

Giant
24th April 2007, 03:10 PM
I think IDN.hk is more useful than IDN.biz.

I do not own any Dot Biz including Ascii.

Rubber Duck
24th April 2007, 03:29 PM
I think IDN.hk is more useful than IDN.biz.

I do not own any Dot Biz including Ascii.

I own neither but would be inclined to agree with that statement on the proviso that it only applies to Chinese Names.

Giant
24th April 2007, 03:33 PM
I own neither but would be inclined to agree with that statement on the proviso that it only applies to Chinese Names.

Yes, that's what I mean, for Chinese only.

Olney
24th April 2007, 03:47 PM
It's a waiting game, natives don't know more than us.
There's no telling exactly what will be the most popular.
I'm getting asked by Japanese "which extension will be more popular", or can I help them sell their domain in the future a few times a week.

Rubber Duck
24th April 2007, 03:53 PM
It's a waiting game, natives don't know more than us.
There's no telling exactly what will be the most popular.
I'm getting asked by Japanese "which extension will be more popular", or can I help them sell their domain in the future a few times a week.

If and when the natives do get it, we will all be rich.

The reason that they unsure about extensions is primarily because most of them see this in terms of registering and selling to Wealthy Westerners.

Once they look at more as a cheap way of providing a retirement fund then we will all be in business.

rhys
24th April 2007, 03:56 PM
.biz has very little representation as a proportion of extensions in japan but there are some. Plus as the extension supports Japanese IDN now, it is possible that if IDN overall picks up in Japan then .biz will become more relevant to Japanese people because it is less likely to be picked over and some good domains may be available.

Still you're never going to see much type-in activity on .biz. It is mostly a play for the SEO value of the domain. That's my opinion.

If and when the natives do get it, we will all be rich.

The reason that they unsure about extensions is primarily because most of them see this in terms of registering and selling to Wealthy Westerners.

Once they look at more as a cheap way of providing a retirement fund then we will all be in business.

I think you are talking about some other natives, the Chinese perhaps? I don't know a single Japanese native trying to sell anyone anything on this board with anything approaching the regularity and frequency of our dedicated Chinese IDNers. And if the Japanese were trying to sell domains, they most likely would prefer to sell it in Japan because they would expect to get higher prices than from cheap westerners. This RD is a sentiment I know you share.

touchring
24th April 2007, 04:12 PM
It is mostly a play for the SEO value of the domain. That's my opinion..

Hopefully the SEO will work out, or i'll dump my regs next year.

Rubber Duck
24th April 2007, 04:15 PM
Hopefully the SEO will work out, or i'll dump my regs next year.

If you are expecting ranking long-term on top keywords you are going to have to dig deep and invest in fully fledge sites, but there may be a short-term killing to be made on these excellent terms if you get lucky.

touchring
24th April 2007, 04:25 PM
If you are expecting ranking long-term on top keywords you are going to have to dig deep and invest in fully fledge sites, but there may be a short-term killing to be made on these excellent terms if you get lucky.

I started registering 9 hrs after landrush. :)

Rubber Duck
24th April 2007, 04:28 PM
I started registering 9 hrs after landrush. :)

Landrush seems to be a bit of an elaborate term for what has actually happened.

Basically you have been beaten to the punch by a handful of people on the forum.

markits
24th April 2007, 05:10 PM
Well most top Chinese KW.biz are grabbed by HiChina inc, a HongKong based company. It seems they now own thousands of Chinese bizs.
This is a phenomenon!

PS: See this Japanese website, it is actually branded as "早漏.biz" http://sr.bkyd.biz .

Rubber Duck
24th April 2007, 05:33 PM
Well most top Chinese KW.biz are grabbed by HiChina inc, a HongKong based company. It seems they now own thousands of Chinese bizs.
This is a phenomenon!

PS: See this Japanese website, it is actually branded as "早漏.biz" http://sr.bkyd.biz .

Hope so, because whatever dot Biz are fetching the dot com will trump by 100x :)

markits
24th April 2007, 05:40 PM
Hope so, because whatever dot Biz are fetching the dot com will trump by 100x :)

Exactly.

These regging thousands of idn.biz are actually idn believers. They start late and can't afford to buy top coms. The current dot biz craze is certainly making top com holders feel better and more confident.

thegenius1
24th April 2007, 05:42 PM
Exactly.

These regging thousands of idn.biz are actually idn believers. They start late and can't afford to buy top coms. The current dot biz craze is certainly making top com holders feel better and more confident.

Also the JP'ers and the CN'ers :)

touchring
24th April 2007, 05:43 PM
Landrush seems to be a bit of an elaborate term for what has actually happened.

Basically you have been beaten to the punch by a handful of people on the forum.

i won't say i've been beaten, as i didn't think of getting any .biz earlier on. i just want to experiment with seo, if it works, why not?

Drewbert
24th April 2007, 06:04 PM
I never thought of it until yesterday, but there is a potential upside for biz/info and other gTLD's for CJK, if the registry operator can come up with a good character translation for them when DNAME (or whatever) gets approved.

biz is short for business
info is short for information

With CJK, you have the luxury of being able to make use of the full length term, in only one or two characters.

I never thought of it until yesterday, but there is a potential upside for biz/info and other gTLD's for CJK, if the registry operator can come up with a good character translation for them when DNAME (or whatever) gets approved.

With CJK, you have the luxury of being able to make use of the full length term, in only one or two characters.

Rubber Duck
24th April 2007, 06:14 PM
Yes, I agree that two rather naff representations can be greatly improved upon.

It still won't make it dot com.

Dot Mobi could also do with a facelift!

touchring
24th April 2007, 06:23 PM

It is one or two characters, but the type-in is as long as the english word.

gongsi1 (7 types)
company (7 types)

thegenius1
24th April 2007, 06:28 PM
I think you always knew this :)

markits
24th April 2007, 06:31 PM
It is one or two characters, but the type-in is as long as the english word.

gongsi1 (7 types)
company (7 types)
To type in 公司, gs2, three keyboard strikes.

touchring
24th April 2007, 06:36 PM
To type in 公司, gs2, three keyboard strikes.

my quanpin can't do that, what are you using?

markits
24th April 2007, 06:43 PM
Chinese vista and NJstar. Both systems only need to type gs2.

Rubber Duck
24th April 2007, 07:35 PM
Chinese vista and NJstar. Both systems only need to type gs2.

Yes, then you get to select with the Mouse I guess, but this should make inputting Chinese Characters much more attractive and increase the demand for IDN!

touchring
24th April 2007, 08:49 PM
Yes, then you get to select with the Mouse I guess, but this should make inputting Chinese Characters much more attractive and increase the demand for IDN!

It is more like shorthand, using the initials of the pinyin, i think?

gongsi -> gs2.

What then is gs1? 工商?

Rubber Duck
24th April 2007, 09:23 PM
It is more like shorthand, using the initials of the pinyin, i think?

gongsi -> gs2.

What then is gs1? 工商?

Yes, but if you could shorten everything to that extent without introducing ambiguities how can you then turn around and say that pinyin is very ambigioius?

I know that if you input into Google.cn you end up with a drop down menu to select from. Try it yourself.

touchring
24th April 2007, 09:24 PM
Yes, but if you could shorten everything to that extent without introducing ambiguities how can you then turn around and say that pinyin is very ambigioius?

I know that if you input into Google.cn you end up with a drop down menu to select from. Try it yourself.

tt one is irritating, i don't know why they have it for chinese and not any other language.

Rubber Duck
24th April 2007, 09:28 PM
tt one is irritating, i don't know why they have it for chinese and not any other language.

Probably because Chinese is the only major language in the World with no phonetic alphabet.

Drewbert
24th April 2007, 11:12 PM
I think you always knew this :)

If I'd always known this, I would have grabbed more than 3 names in the landrush this morning! :)