PDA

View Full Version : Did I just register a trademark? スキマスイッチ.com

alexp
26th April 2007, 05:35 AM
This スキマスイッチ is japanese for "opening switch". Based on my search of Amazon.jp, the domain appears to be the name of a Japanese band. Is anyone able to confirm this?

Opening switch is also an electronics term. Anyone have an opinion on how this domain name stands with trademarks?

rhys
26th April 2007, 05:42 AM
This スキマスイッチ is japanese for "opening switch". Based on my search of Amazon.jp, the domain appears to be the name of a Japanese band. Is anyone able to confirm this?

Opening switch is also an electronics term. Anyone have an opinion on how this domain name stands with trademarks?

http://dir.yahoo.co.jp/talent/13/g05-0017.html

jacksonm
26th April 2007, 06:58 AM

I am certainly not a lawyer, but here is my understanding of the situation:

1. Trademarks are generally business domain specific. For example, you can have "Acme Cranes", "Acme Tires", "Acme Bathtub Cleaner", where Acme is the registered trademark of many different companies in each of their respective business domains.

2. If you use the name to put up an electronics page, then there is very likely no problem.

3. If you park the name, and the parking provider starts showing ads for the japanese band then you could get in trouble.

All in all, the name isn't that great as an electronics term and very likely the only searches are concerning this band, so I'd recommend to just drop it and get a refund.

alexp
26th April 2007, 07:06 AM
Thanks for your replies and advice. I would rather not risk it, so I have dropped it and received a refund.

Hopefully better luck next time!

Olney
26th April 2007, 07:38 AM
Usually if you just do an image search & you only see the same musicians (like the Japanese guy with the afro), it's a dead giveaway on what term is stronger.

Groups, TV shows etc. don't always last forever