PDA

View Full Version : What is your best domain name?

brianluedke
28th April 2007, 06:45 PM
What is your best domain name? Best IDN?

Mine might be LaSemaine.com, which means "The Week" in French. Perfect for a news site.

My best IDN, of course, is Sénégal.com.

thegenius1
28th April 2007, 07:09 PM
I just want to get another ad location as im sure this will be another highly viewed thread :p Will add some domains later

touchring
28th April 2007, 07:11 PM
I don't know what's my best domain, but i got 2 country name IDNs.

الإمارات.com
emirates.com
GDP (official exchange rate):
$164 billion (2006 est. from CIA World Factbook)

and

대한민국.com
KoreaRepublic.com
$897.4 billion (2006 est. from CIA World Factbook)

brianluedke
1st May 2007, 01:20 AM
I'm sorry if I'm a perfectionist, but those aren't indisputably country names the same way sénégal.com is. Yes, obviously Dubai has more money than Senegal, but it doesn't really have a solid one word name, since it's known as the United Arab Emirates. Very impressive nonetheless.

And of course KoreaRepublic falls far behind the signs for simply, "Korea".

Even if they're not technically on the same plane as sénégal.com, I won't deny that they may be worth as much.

Brian

I don't know what's my best domain, but i got 2 country name IDNs.

الإمارات.com
emirates.com
$164 billion (2006 est. from CIA World Factbook)

and

대한민국.com
KoreaRepublic.com
$897.4 billion (2006 est. from CIA World Factbook)

thegenius1
1st May 2007, 01:28 AM
I'm sorry if I'm a perfectionist, but those aren't indisputably country names the same way sénégal.com is. Yes, obviously Dubai has more money than Senegal, but it doesn't really have a solid one word name, since it's known as the United Arab Emirates. Very impressive nonetheless.

Even if they're not technically on the same plane as sénégal.com, I won't deny that they may be worth as much.

Brian

You sure plug your name well LMAO

Fka200
1st May 2007, 01:56 AM
Woops. Wrong thread!

touchring
1st May 2007, 08:12 AM
I'm a perfectionist as well, i go for countries where the money is.

The English translation isn't a good guage for Asian IDNs. Both are primary terms in native languages.

U.A.E. is an English term, they call it just "Emirates" in Arabic.

As for Korea, KoreanRepublic is the primary term when it comes to refering to the country. A quick on KR OVT.

2007년 3월검색 조회 결과
370769 대한민국 줄기 세포
113878 대한민국 <---- KoreaRepublic

2007년 3월검색 조회 결과
조회수 검색어
848359 한국 산업 인력 공단
101837 한국 <--- Korea

A snippet from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea

The Republic of Korea, commonly known as South Korea or the Korea Republic (Korean: 대한민국, IPA: [tɛː.han.min.guk̚], listen (help·info)), is an East Asian country on the southern half of the Korean Peninsula. To the north, it is bordered by North Korea (Democratic People's Republic of Korea), with which it was united until 1945. To the west, across the Yellow Sea, lies China and to the southeast, across the Korea Strait, lies Japan. Approximately one-half of South Korea's population lives in or near the capital Seoul, the second most populous metropolitan area in the world.

The South Korean economy has advanced rapidly since the 1950s and is now the 11th largest (nominal value) economy in the world. South Korea is also one of the world's most technologically advanced and digitally-connected countries; it has the third most broadband Internet users among the OECD countries[2] and is a global leader in electronics, digital displays, shipbuilding, semiconductor devices, and mobile phones.

Brian

jacksonm
1st May 2007, 10:12 AM
Is it just me, or is this thread really missing a few hundred of the previous replies?

bwhhisc
1st May 2007, 10:14 AM
Is it just me, or is this thread really missing a few hundred of the previous replies? .

Pretty sure this is a duplicate thread.

idn
1st May 2007, 10:35 AM

Mine might be LaSemaine.com, which means "The Week" in French. Perfect for a news site.

Yaoundé.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaound%C3%A9

brianluedke
2nd May 2007, 02:11 AM
Yaoundé.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaound%C3%A9

I am NOT proud to admit that I was the previous registrant of that domain name, along with Lomé.com, Bénin.com, Côtedivoire.com, and Algérie.com.

That must have been about 2002 when I had no money and had given up on IDNs ever working.

At least after that momumental stupidity, I had the chance to register Sénégal.com, which I believe is worth all of them together. The previous registrant of that domain also had the stupid sickness!

thegenius1
2nd May 2007, 02:19 AM
That must have been about 2002 when I had no money and had given up on IDNs ever working.

Thank you for finally admitting your grudge against IDNer's

Also have you ever heard the saying " Dont Take finacial advice from BROKE people "

markits
2nd May 2007, 02:20 AM
I am NOT proud to admit that I was the previous registrant of that domain name, along with Lomé.com, Bénin.com, Côtedivoire.com, and Algérie.com.

At least after that momumental stupidity, I had the chance to register Sénégal.com, which I believe is worth all of them together. The previous registrant of that domain also had the stupid sickness!

I simply do not see why Sénégal.com is so good. Does it make any revenue for you? I have a French idn domain that gets 500 daily type-in, making $60 monthly from parking.

touchring
2nd May 2007, 04:09 AM
I simply do not see why Sénégal.com is so good. Does it make any revenue for you? I have a French idn domain that gets 500 daily type-in, making $60 monthly from parking.

PPC doesn't work well for country names. PPC works best for IDNs which has a major ASCII equivalent site.

I think a country name is worth lottery only if there is money in it - there are about 200 country names, i think only the top 30 is really worth big money.

Mozambique was sold for $82500 just a few months back i think?

Mozambique
Definition Field Listing
$6.431 billion (2006 est.)

Senegal
Definition Field Listing
$8.562 billion (2006 est.)

Latin IDNs are valued at about 1/10 of ASCII equivalents, so i think it might be safe to value Sénégal.com at between $9k to $18k.

markits
2nd May 2007, 06:40 AM
Latin IDNs are valued at about 1/10 of ASCII equivalents, so i think it might be safe to value Sénégal.com at between $9k to $18k.

I agree with you on the evaluation.

I regard it as a failure in idning if one's top domain only worth this much.

idn
2nd May 2007, 10:44 AM
Latin IDNs are valued at about 1/10 of ASCII equivalents

I definitely disagree with this statement...in what scenario? I can give you examples of where I agree with, but in other cases I think this valuation is terribly wrong.

Explorer
2nd May 2007, 12:03 PM
There will come a time when a Latin IDN will be worth more than its ASCII typo.

touchring
2nd May 2007, 01:11 PM

Yes, there will come a time, but for now, Latin IDN is worth less.

Explorer
2nd May 2007, 01:33 PM

And that's why it makes sense to be buying them now.

IamJT
2nd May 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm a newby. Small catalog in the bank. never sold a thing. Holding on to a few that I hope materialize someday. I'm banking on the worldcup in 2010 helping these values rise.

SouthAfrica
Arabic: جنوبافريقيا .com (xn--mgbabp1a9gi1asyb.com)
Turkish: güneyafrika.com (xn--gneyafrika-9db.com)
Russian: ЮжнаяАфрика.com (xn--80aaavmmr0a9a3go.com)
Portuguese: Àfricadosul.net (xn--fricadosul-r4a.net)
Japanese: 南アフリカ共和国.com (xn--ccks9jmdq59rgnc7vc4xh.com). This one is actully the full formal name of the Republic of South Africa in Japanese.

When I grabbed these a few years ago i was too late on the key big-money languages. Argh!

rhys
2nd May 2007, 01:54 PM
I'm a newby. Small catalog in the bank. never sold a thing. Holding on to a few that I hope materialize someday. I'm banking on the worldcup in 2010 helping these values rise.

SouthAfrica
Arabic: جنوبافريقيا .com (xn--mgbabp1a9gi1asyb.com)
Turkish: güneyafrika.com (xn--gneyafrika-9db.com)
Russian: ЮжнаяАфрика.com (xn--80aaavmmr0a9a3go.com)
Portuguese: Àfricadosul.net (xn--fricadosul-r4a.net)
Japanese: 南アフリカ共和国.com (xn--ccks9jmdq59rgnc7vc4xh.com). This one is actully the full formal name of the Republic of South Africa in Japanese.

When I grabbed these a few years ago i was too late on the key big-money languages. Argh!

Hi JT, i don't know if I should point this out but if you regged these a couple of years ago, there was still a lot of prime generics available in .jp/.com/.net in Japanese and most languages. Many of us came on the scene in last half of 05 and first half of 06

IamJT
2nd May 2007, 01:59 PM
there was still a lot of prime generics available in .jp/.com/.net in Japanese and most languages.

Thanx. That doesn't really help me but i guess you just wanted to rub it in. Maybe BlastFromthePast will let me borrow his time machine and I can go back to the beginning and pick up some more domains. :p

brianluedke
2nd May 2007, 02:00 PM
Thank you for using this word, "typo"! Indeed, as far as francophone Senegal and the rest of Francophonie are concerned, Senegal.com is nothing more than a typo compared with Sénégal.com.

When IDN.fr comes out, it will help French-speakers around the world to realize that these correct-spellings exist!

And of course, there are still many people who still have I.E.6, although I don't remember the exact percentage.

1. Context. Sénégal.com reflects the name of this country in the official French, an international language which boasts francophone countries on five continents.

Secondly, it fits perfectly into my Senegalese and African collection, which includes LeSenegal.com, LeSénégal.com (which means "Senegal" in French. Really, francophone names should include definite articles.), Sénégalais.com, Senegalais.com (Senegalese), LAfrique.com (Africa), AfriqueDeLouest.com (West Africa), and LAfricain.com (The African).

This means that the name of my site can be Sénégal.com, but the banners will say Sénégalais.com or LeSénégal.com, so people won't get confused between ASCII or IDN.

Thirdly, I intend to massively develop the site in the coming years.

Fourthly, Senegal is a major African success story, a successful democracy, and the #1 tourist destination in West Africa.

There is major money to be had in Senegal, just look at the many real estate, dating, or tourism Web sites devoted to Senegal.

2. If it's so good, why won't you say what it is?

Brian

mulligan
2nd May 2007, 02:24 PM
Look Brian, while this may come as a shock to you, nobody gives a shit about your 2 bit domain. People are sick of seeing you spout BS about it. The hard facts are that it is a mediocre domain at best and you going around this forum mouthing off about it and presenting 'facts' and mentioning it every second word is not going to change that.

You were buying the latin typos of countries as far back as 2002 and while it is regrettable you didn't have the sense or foresight to pick these country names up in their gramatically correct form as IDNs that's what happened and now you are left with this.
Get over it and move on ... sheesh

touchring
2nd May 2007, 02:39 PM
And that's why it makes sense to be buying them now.

Yes, that's correct.

alpha
2nd May 2007, 02:57 PM
I've never been to Sénégal, Brian can you tell us more about it -

NOT

brianluedke
2nd May 2007, 03:13 PM
For someone who "doesn't give a s**t," you certainly have a lot to say about Sénégal.com.

116,000,000 results at google.SN can't be wrong... "Sénégal" is king.

Vive Le Sénégal !!!

Look Brian, while this may come as a shock to you, nobody gives a shit about your 2 bit domain. People are sick of seeing you spout BS about it. The hard facts are that it is a mediocre domain at best and you going around this forum mouthing off about it and presenting 'facts' and mentioning it every second word is not going to change that.

You were buying the latin typos of countries as far back as 2002 and while it is regrettable you didn't have the sense or foresight to pick these country names up in their gramatically correct form as IDNs that's what happened and now you are left with this.
Get over it and move on ... sheesh

rhys
2nd May 2007, 03:30 PM
OK enough. Can we hear someone else's best domain?

Explorer
2nd May 2007, 04:09 PM

algérie.com

couldn't resist :-)

touchring
2nd May 2007, 04:22 PM
algérie.com

OMG, you snapped his name!

idn
2nd May 2007, 04:45 PM

Maybe yours. You cannot make a blanket statement about all Latin idns because there are many differences between countries. In some countries the ascii version is searched and used a lot more than its idn counterpart, but in other countries the idn version is searched and used 10-20 more than its ascii counterpart. Your 1/10 valuation has zero logic.

alpha
2nd May 2007, 05:11 PM
OMG, you snapped his name!

Oh that is way better than Sénégal

touchring
2nd May 2007, 05:17 PM
Maybe yours. You cannot make a blanket statement about all Latin idns because there are many differences between countries. In some countries the ascii version is searched and used a lot more than its idn counterpart, but in other countries the idn version is searched and used 10-20 more than its ascii counterpart. Your 1/10 valuation has zero logic.

1/10 is only example, in fact i estimate about 1/10 to 1/5 for Sénégal.

brianluedke
2nd May 2007, 05:42 PM
So you're the one who also got bénin.com and côtedivoire.com?

Do you really consider that to be your best domain?

algérie.com

I disagree. Arabic is the official language of Algeria, wheras French is the official language of Sénégal.

Algeria is in the middle of a very gradual, but nevertheless real, phasing-out of French in favor of Arabic.

Also, Sénégal is very distinctive, with its very own languages, style of Islam, tourist attractions, and culture. If you've ever seen the potential of Sénégal first hand, you know what I'm talking about.

Algeria is just another part of the Maghreb, apart from the Kabylie community.

Oh that is way better than Sénégal

sarcle
2nd May 2007, 06:30 PM

I have to admit you are the GOD of this forum. Everyone should be looking up to you. We are so unworthy of being in the presence of such a brilliant mind. Please tell us more of your wisdoms and help guide us to riches. If only we had you when this forum started we might have been able to have saved our money and had the guidance we needed so badly. Thank you for allowing us now to be graced with such noble and kind thoughts of intellegent investments. For once were where lost but thanks to you. We have finally been found.

Rubber Duck
2nd May 2007, 06:44 PM
I've never been to Sénégal, Brian can you tell us more about it -

NOT

Good place to lose all your F*cking luggage. Plane broke down. I was transferred on forward flight to Guinea, all three pieces of my luggage were sent to Ghana. Didn't turn up for a month.

Wot
3rd May 2007, 12:03 AM

北京.biz :)

burnsinternet
3rd May 2007, 04:32 AM
I've been wondering all along how one defines 'best' domain name. Revenue? Traffic stats? Warm fuzzies? Personal preference/favorite? News coverage? I would have a difficult time picking my 'best' or even favorite domain.

markits
3rd May 2007, 04:41 AM
I've been wondering all along how one defines 'best' domain name. Revenue? Traffic stats? Warm fuzzies? Personal preference/favorite? News coverage? I would have a difficult time picking my 'best' or even favorite domain.
Using the thread starter's criterion: personal fantasy.

touchring
3rd May 2007, 04:53 AM

Revenue names - value will be based on future annual price earnings, 10-30 times for generics.

Collectables (L, Geographic) - value based on supply and demand. E.g. ASCII LL.com today is valued at mid $xx,xxx to low $xxx,xxx, even nonsense LL.com like XW.com.

rhys
3rd May 2007, 04:56 AM
Here I will repeat mine from the other thread....

Boy that is a tough question. I have good IDNs that bring in lots of revenue. I have some "great" IDNs that I'm challenged as to what to do with immediately. So best is definitely a personal judgement call.

Personally I like 熟女.jp which has over 1 million ovt on yahoo.jp. It's short, memorable, and translates loosely in Japanese as "milf" (don't bother looking for the .com/.net/.tv/.biz all gone).

But if I look over the portfolio there are several more I really favor.

burnsinternet
3rd May 2007, 05:02 AM
Using the thread starter's criterion: personal fantasy.

That did seem to be the case. I was just checking. I have a large group of geographics (cities, countries, regions) that, I believe, blow those away. But mine are in lesser known regions than Africa. Places like the Americas, Europe, and Asia. Probably not quite as valuable as African, but, as a whole portfolio, probably more valuable because of the quantity.

Of course, these are not my favorites. They are just in the same vein as his geographics.

markits
3rd May 2007, 05:22 AM
Here I will repeat mine from the other thread....

Boy that is a tough question. I have good IDNs that bring in lots of revenue. I have some "great" IDNs that I'm challenged as to what to do with immediately. So best is definitely a personal judgement call.

Personally I like 熟女.jp which has over 1 million ovt on yahoo.jp. It's short, memorable, and translates loosely in Japanese as "milf" (don't bother looking for the .com/.net/.tv/.biz all gone).

But if I look over the portfolio there are several more I really favor.

So you don't like your programming.jp? JK.

I have a large group of geographics (cities, countries, regions) that, I believe, blow those away. But mine are in lesser known regions than Africa. Places like the Americas, Europe, and Asia. Probably not quite as valuable as African, but, as a whole portfolio, probably more valuable because of the quantity.

Of course, these are not my favorites. They are just in the same vein as his geographics.

I have quite a few city/region/country domains too. eg, a small city, 堺市.com, 堺.com, in native language form, has 40 times GDP of Sénégal.

burnsinternet
3rd May 2007, 05:27 AM
Wow! When I read this thread, I assumed that Sénégal must have really developed since I last checked. I didn't want to be rude or anything. It is not the largest or wealthiest country on the planet. Maybe things have taken off since 2005?

Population
- 2005 estimate 11,658,000 (72nd)
- Density 59 /km² (137th)
GDP (PPP) 2005 estimate
- Total $20.504 billion (109th)
- Per capita $1,759 (149th)

rhys
3rd May 2007, 05:30 AM

boots.jp (japanese) and programming.jp (japanese) I admit I also covet. I'm impressed you remember markits.

burnsinternet
3rd May 2007, 05:33 AM
Those should definitely go on the auction block, guys. :p

touchring
3rd May 2007, 05:47 AM

I have quite a few city/region/country domains too. eg, a small city, 堺市.com, 堺.com, in native language form, has 40 times GDP of Sénégal.

GDP income is one thing, but insane personal wealth is another, you won't believe how wealthy the gulf arabs are - and oil hasn't gone up to $300 a barrel yet. Even at 60 bucks, each citizen of the UAE is worth $3 million.

With car population exploding in china and india, i can't see how oil will not be $300 a barrel in 10-15 years.

http://www.lemonlawvehicle.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/traffic-jam.jpg

Moscow ----> This looks like a massive car park!

Fka200
3rd May 2007, 06:08 AM
And I complain about L.A. traffic... jeez

touchring
3rd May 2007, 06:25 AM
And I complain about L.A. traffic... jeez

Increasing CBD/Freeway entry charges is a method, i heard it costs 20 pounds to enter the London square mile?

blastfromthepast
3rd May 2007, 06:35 AM
Thanx. That doesn't really help me but i guess you just wanted to rub it in. Maybe BlastFromthePast will let me borrow his time machine and I can go back to the beginning and pick up some more domains. :p

The old time machine won't take me back to 1993 when I did a whois on sex.com, Boston.com, and a few others, decided all the good names were taken, and went back to horsing around instead of sending away for a few good names.

Today though, you can still experience the IDN thrill in the after market, much like the person who bought business.com for $150,000 (and later resold for $7.5 million).

Edit.

touchring
3rd May 2007, 06:56 AM
Today though, you can still experience the IDN thrill in the after market, much like the person who bought business.com for $150,000 (and later resold for $7.5 million).

EDIT: CUT DOWN ON THE PAGE WIDENING IMAGES !!! ANNOYING.

Oops, they appeared "small" when i looked at them on Google image.

markits
3rd May 2007, 07:03 AM
Oops, they appeared "small" when i looked at them on Google image.
Just post a url pointing to the google image.
Cheers

alpha
3rd May 2007, 07:15 AM
Increasing CBD/Freeway entry charges is a method, i heard it costs 20 pounds to enter the London square mile?

yes, its the rich tax.

all it has done is take the small cars of the road.

all you see driving around london now is the so called "chelsea tractor", aka Porsche Cheyennes, Range Rover vogues, Bentleys etc..

it was sold to london as an "environmental tax", ironically these pump out more Co2 than the little cars - its a great revenue making making idea, and its great to get all those silly little cars of the road and make those people ride bikes :p

just yet another uk tax.

I read the other day that our London major has budget approval to put a satellite up so that everyone can be issued with black boxes in their cars, so they can be charged by the mile.

madness, utter madness.

burnsinternet
3rd May 2007, 10:39 AM
GDP income is one thing, but insane personal wealth is another, you won't believe how wealthy the gulf arabs are - and oil hasn't gone up to $300 a barrel yet. Even at 60 bucks, each citizen of the UAE is worth $3 million.

Maybe one of these will sell, then:

زيت.com
النفطية.com
ديزل.com
ойл.com

Of course, oil, petroleum, and diesel may not be as valuable as Sénégal, but I do enjoy having these. Fun!

alpha
3rd May 2007, 11:21 AM
ok, i've looked and i just cannot decide.

some of my favourites i got at reg fee, and don't have particularly high stats, but none the less would make it to my fav list.

some of my biggest earners, i don't particlarly like and wouldn't have on a favourite list.

and most of my big ticket names earn jack at the moment.

so how to decide?

touchring
3rd May 2007, 12:30 PM
ok, i've looked and i just cannot decide.

some of my favourites i got at reg fee, and don't have particularly high stats, but none the less would make it to my fav list.

some of my biggest earners, i don't particlarly like and wouldn't have on a favourite list.

and most of my big ticket names earn jack at the moment.

so how to decide?

This is indeed intriguing, it intrigues me to see nonsense LLL.com going for 5 digits today - there are 19683 LLLs and i can't see 19683 end users willing to offer 5 digit for their LLL. I never forsee that anyway. And i doubt most LLL.com earn any serious PPC.

But never mind, the fact is there is this perceived market segmentation element to domains, and people just bid up the price using similar name transactions.

If just one idn country name is sold for mid-$xxx,xxx, you'll find the valuation for the other 190 country names soar through the roof. And will this happen? I'm sure it will happen some point in time.

alpha
3rd May 2007, 12:33 PM
This is indeed intriguing, it intrigues me to see nonsense LLL.com going for 5 digits today - there are 19683 LLLs and i can't see 19683 end users willing to offer 5 digit for their LLL. I never forsee that.

But never mind, the fact is there is a speculative element to domains, and people just bid up the price based on rarity alone.

LLL's do have value, as acronyms for company names... but as for the value of NNN's...

the crazy thing is, that where the NNN's have most value is in China, i.e 163 .com

and why do they love their NNN domains? because it means so much more to them than a random string of English characters.

.. hey I have an idea, if only they could have domain names in their own language.. but wait that would mean NNN's are worth less than IDN's...

nah, never happen. :rolleyes:

Rubber Duck
3rd May 2007, 12:36 PM
This is indeed intriguing, it intrigues me to see nonsense LLL.com going for 5 digits today - there are 19683 LLLs and i can't see 19683 end users willing to offer 5 digit for their LLL. I never forsee that.

But never mind, the fact is there is a speculative element to domains, and people just bid up the price based on rarity alone.

If just one idn country name is sold for mid-$xxx,xxx, you'll find the valuation for the other 190 country names soar through the roof.

I think there is going to be huge on going demand for three letter Acronyms and that they well supported by end user demand in the five figure range.

Where the thing starts to become a complete nonsense is when people start trying to extend this to Number/Letter Combos or 4 and five letter acronyms where there is very little demand indeed and the availability rises exponentially.

touchring
3rd May 2007, 12:38 PM
LLL's do have value, as acronyms for company names... but as for the value of NNN's...

the crazy thing is, that where the NNN's have most value is in China, i.e 163 .com

and why do they love their NNN domains? because it means so much more to them than a random string of English characters.

.. hey I have an idea, if only they could have domain names in their own language.. but wait that would mean NNN's are worth less than IDN's...

Yes, but 163 is considered an auspicious number, so there's superstition involved. 168 is the best.

alpha
3rd May 2007, 12:39 PM
Yes, but 163 is considered an auspicious number, so there's superstition involved. 168 is the best.

ok ok, but you get my point. hell we even have Chinese members joining here with just a string of numbers as a member name

Rubber Duck
3rd May 2007, 12:39 PM

Yes, and the Number Domain crew think that they are on the brink of an explosion, when infact they face exactly the opposite.

I am not saying that some numerical combinations won't always be big in China, of course they will, but most will lose popular appeal.

Won't they be even more auspicious in Chinese Characters?

touchring
3rd May 2007, 12:42 PM
ok ok, but you get my point. hell we even have Chinese members joining here with just a string of numbers as a member name

Yes, there's a fascination with numbers, especially lottery numbers. If you visit a fengshui master, and he says 666 is your lucky number, you make sure you have that everywhere, your domain, your email address, your car number, and even your house number.

brianluedke
3rd May 2007, 03:26 PM
Big talk, but back it up. Can you beat these?

L'Europe (leurope.com, French for Europe)

L'Europa (leuropa.com, Italian for Europe)

That did seem to be the case. I was just checking. I have a large group of geographics (cities, countries, regions) that, I believe, blow those away. But mine are in lesser known regions than Africa. Places like the Americas, Europe, and Asia. Probably not quite as valuable as African, but, as a whole portfolio, probably more valuable because of the quantity.

domainguru
3rd May 2007, 03:53 PM

When are you going to understand that continents are not particularly valuable. Nobody searches for them. And yours are not even grammatically correct because of the apostrophe.

Have you never thought why you personally own lots of these "missing apostrophe" names. It's called "market forces", mate. Nobody else wants them !!

You are forever boasting about your name collection, what you don't seem to want to understand is that the names you own have relatively little value. This is obviously too much of a shock for you to take. Move on.

Rubber Duck
3rd May 2007, 03:59 PM

If these are really so hot, why don't you go and pester the guys at Traffics or Sedo. For ASCII domains they are much more established market places. Or have you end up here because you just got chased off with a flee in your ear?

brianluedke
3rd May 2007, 04:11 PM
I only understand that you do not understand French business. Many French businesses use the so called "missing apostrophe" names.

Do you think it bothers me that you are confused? It has meant less competition for me!

Apostrophes are not even allowed in domain names, so you are talking about phantome competition.

lexpansion.com
lexpress.fr
lentreprise.com
lequipe.fr
lavion.com
leconomiste.com

to name just a few.

When are you going to understand that continents are not particularly valuable. Nobody searches for them. And yours are not even grammatically correct because of the apostrophe.

Have you never thought why you personally own lots of these "missing apostrophe" names. It's called "market forces", mate. Nobody else wants them !!

You are forever boasting about your name collection, what you don't seem to want to understand is that the names you own have relatively little value. This is obviously too much of a shock for you to take. Move on.

burnsinternet
3rd May 2007, 04:11 PM
Nothing to beat, dude. There are enough geographics for everyone. Value is more subjective than objective right now with IDNs. It is more personal preference than anything else at this point unless you have some cool stats on those Europe domains. If they are good and you make $$ on them, good for you.

We all win or lose in the end by what the market demands. Sometimes the killer names that I just KNOW will make me rich will fizzle, while a silly reg from one late night of fruitless searching turns out to be a top earner. At least, that is my experience.

I do believe that the African domains are nice, but a long shot, compared to city/state/prefecture/country domains of wealthy countries. I may be wrong, but if I am, let us know with stats or just admit that it is your opinion. I freely admit that mine are not earning what I think they should, but I believe that they will do well some day soon with proper development. They also generally have killer Overture or Yandex or bids. But it really does come down to opinion for now and personal preference.

domainguru
3rd May 2007, 04:15 PM
I only understand that you do not understand French business. Many French businesses use the so called "missing apostrophe" names.

Do you think it bothers me that you are confused? It has meant less competition for me!

Apostrophes are not even allowed in domain names, so you are talking about phantome competition.

lexpansion.com
lexpress.fr
lentreprise.com
lequipe.fr
lavion.com
leconomiste.com

to name just a few.

wow - apostrophes aren't allowed in domains. You learn something new every day. When's your next domain name masterclass? I must remember not to attend.

You have no competition because people don't want your domains. Still not getting the idea? What was your biggest sale to date?

Rubber Duck
3rd May 2007, 04:16 PM
Well that should point you in the direction of Sedo. They even have a French Site, that is close to their roots. If anyone can turns these domains into cash they can. The fact that you seem to be so far from home, only suggests to everyone here that you are lost.

lexpansion.com
lexpress.fr
lentreprise.com
lequipe.fr
lavion.com
leconomiste.com

to name just a few.

thegenius1
3rd May 2007, 11:41 PM
Brain value wise your names suck ass ! And as for emotional attachment they got you whooped !

Bad Combo

thefabfive
3rd May 2007, 11:54 PM
Wait a second, are we talking IDN or ASCII?

Son, I'd put away your little ASCIIs before some of our more experienced members decide to take you to school.

idn
3rd May 2007, 11:55 PM
On a side note, do you realize you look a lot like spiderman? Just checking...