PDA

View Full Version : Back to The Future !!

thegenius1
25th February 2006, 08:30 AM
Just wanted to start a thread to try and Gauge what time frame we are " Mining " "Hunting" or just Regestering names in.... Meaning if we where to look back at the Opportunity Landscape of ascii back in the late 80's early 90's mid 90's .... What time frame would you guess or figuire we are Operating " IN " ?

Rubber Duck
25th February 2006, 08:41 AM
Just wanted to start a thread to try and Gauge what time frame we are " Mining " "Hunting" or just Regestering names in.... Meaning if we where to look back at the Opportunity Landscape of ascii back in the late 80's early 90's mid 90's .... What time frame would you guess or figuire we are Operating " IN " ?

I don't think we are talking about taking the ASCII development curve and sliding it along to predict IDN. I think the first 5 years of IDN probably only equates to a single year in ASCII. However, when the explosion comes a single year in IDN development may equate to 5 years in ASCII. People now understand the way the internet works, there is an awful lot more infrastructure out there now than there was back then, apart the obvious, the Browser. Once people see this working, it will be a complete revelation, that will be followed by a revolution. The only real constraint is going to be the availability of web developers in Asia. If everyone wants their site redesigned at the same time it going to get very busy indeed. Anyone, that writes Chinese and can design websites or do SEO is going to be charging hundreds of dollars an hour!

thegenius1
25th February 2006, 09:07 AM
I don't think we are talking about taking the ASCII development curve and sliding it along to predict IDN. I think the first 5 years of IDN probably only equates to a single year in ASCII. However, when the explosion comes a single year in IDN development may equate to 5 years in ASCII. People now understand the way the internet works, there is an awful lot more infrastructure out there now than there was back then, apart the obvious, the Browser. Once people see this working, it will be a complete revelation, that will be followed by a revolution. The only real constraint is going to be the availability of web developers in Asia. If everyone wants their site redesigned at the same time it going to get very busy indeed. Anyone, that writes Chinese and can design websites or do SEO is going to be charging hundreds of dollars an hour!

I understand what you mean as far as development but i was meaning more along the lines of just " Generic " word oppurtunity, If anybody has any knowlegde of what the landscape lookd like in 95 how does it compare to the words we can Regd Today in IDN

Drewbert
25th February 2006, 09:13 AM
It's certainly not 1995 right now.

More like 2001-2002.

blastfromthepast
25th February 2006, 09:51 AM
When even three symbol domain names like http://♀♂♀.com/ are getting type-ins and PPC revenue, you know the future is bright!

Rubber Duck
25th February 2006, 09:52 AM
I understand what you mean as far as development but i was meaning more along the lines of just " Generic " word oppurtunity, If anybody has any knowlegde of what the landscape lookd like in 95 how does it compare to the words we can Regd Today in IDN

I think we are well past 1995 but not as far on as 1999. Probably about 1997 or thereabouts, but by next year it could be 2002 or even later.

When even three symbol domain names like http://♀♂♀.com/ are getting type-ins and PPC revenue, you know the future is bright!

I would suggest it means that there are a lot of punters out there who just haven't understood the true significance of IDN!!!

kenne
25th February 2006, 12:43 PM
How long did it take for IDN .de market ? That should give us a cue.

Rubber Duck
25th February 2006, 12:47 PM
IDN was readily accepted in Germany. The Germans don't wear dot com blinkers!

IDN is not however essential to the German Internet as it is with Chinese. Chinese IDN domains logically should be worth at least 10x what the German equivalents are!

Giant
25th February 2006, 02:56 PM

I agree completely with Dave.

sarcle
25th February 2006, 03:01 PM
If everyone wants their site redesigned at the same time it going to get very busy indeed. Anyone, that writes Chinese and can design websites or do SEO is going to be charging hundreds of dollars an hour!

It's this very thought that spurred me to register these a couple days ago.

idndeveloper.com
idndevelopment.com
idndesign.com

Giant
25th February 2006, 03:02 PM
I think we are well paste 1995 but not as far on as 1999. Probably about 1997 or thereabouts, but by next year it could be 2002 or even later.

I started working with domain names in 1995. I believe IDN now is comparable to ASCII in June 1996 - June 1997, in terms of the availability of domain names. And more precisely, this comparison is between Chinese.com and ASCII.com.

Giant
25th February 2006, 03:05 PM
It's this very thought that spurred me to register these a couple days ago.

idndeveloper.com
idndevelopment.com
idndesign.com

Very nice and meaningful domains! Better than mine:

IDNcollector.com
IDNsponsor.com

thegenius1
26th February 2006, 09:09 AM
I think we are well past 1995 but not as far on as 1999. Probably about 1997 or thereabouts, but by next year it could be 2002 or even later.

I remeber when i first ended up on a Domain forum sometime last year, My first day Some guy was saying how filthy Rich he would be if he knew what he knows now 5 years ago, I beleive he went as far as saying he would be somewhere in Forbes Mag....So now lets Fathom what we can do with 8-10 years and Multi-Languages So with that being said and just pure common sense, If whe are operating in a 96-99 time frame this Is Beyond Awesome, I feel we couldnt be more blessed if we missd the boat the 1st time :) , Twice in a Life Time opportunitys dont come around that often.... I end with a Bill Gates Quote ......

"Domains have and will continue to go up in value faster than any other commodity ever known to man." (07/05 Bill Gates, Microsoft) :o

Rubber Duck
26th February 2006, 09:37 AM
I remeber when i first ended up on a Domain forum sometime last year, My first day Some guy was saying how filthy Rich he would be if he knew what he knows now 5 years ago, I beleive he went as far as saying he would be somewhere in Forbes Mag.... So with that being said and just pure common sense, If whe are operating in a 96-99 time frame this Is Beyond Awesome, I feel we couldnt be more blessed if we missd the boat the 1st time :) , Twice in a Life Time opportunitys dont come around that often.... I end with a Bill Gates Quote ......
"Domains have and will continue to go up in value faster than any other commodity ever known to man." (07/05 Bill Gates, Microsoft) :o

In my view Domains will continue to go up in value. You can get a loan against a house, a shop or even a car, but if you take the most exclusive online real estate in the world along to your Bank Manager you will get just get a blank look!

The price of Real Estate went extremely rapidly in the 20th Century. This was in part due to increases in living standards and demand, but the biggest single factor was Banks recognising that they could lend on a highly leveraged basis against these assets with incurring substantial risk. If banks ever start offering loans against intellectual property rights in the same manner, which I think will come, then the prices in the Domain Market have a lot further to run yet!