PDA

View Full Version : Google Analytics & punycode domains

jacksonm
3rd May 2007, 08:07 PM
Anybody using analytics with punycode domains? I set up a profile for a punycode domain and I can not get analytics to visit my site to verify the code. I do have it working fine with an ascii domain.

Any tricks required?

tee1
3rd May 2007, 08:16 PM
working as in, if traffic occurs yes. Getting large amounts of traffic to analyze, well um NO. I am working on that.

If it works on your ascii sites not sure why its not working with punycode domains???

jacksonm
so does it let you add a new website profile?domain using punycode?
does give you the js code for tracking?

tee1

jacksonm
3rd May 2007, 08:20 PM
working as in, if traffic occurs yes. Getting large amounts of traffic to analyze, well um NO. I am working on that.

If it works on your ascii sites not sure why its not working with punycode domains???

jacksonm
so does it let you add a new website profile?domain using punycode?
does give you the js code for tracking?

tee1

Yeah, I added the profile with a punycode domain and entered the js code in my index.html file on the webserver. I tailed the webserver logfile, and then clicked the "check status" button in analytics, and I never get the verification visit. I can visit the site from my browser, from dynadot snapshot, etc. The website is working, but analytics verification never goes there for some reason.

tee1
3rd May 2007, 08:25 PM
I am not sure what was going on. Maybe someone else has idea of whats up.
sorry I can't provide any help.
tee1

rhys
3rd May 2007, 08:45 PM
I don't know what the problem is unfortunately. I have about 30 IDN sites set up on analytics. They are working fine. And Tee - I don't have the low traffic problem, at least on most of them. :)

jacksonm
3rd May 2007, 08:56 PM
I don't know what the problem is unfortunately. I have about 30 IDN sites set up on analytics. They are working fine. And Tee - I don't have the low traffic problem, at least on most of them. :)

It suddenly started working, after trying it all day long. Freaky. I had switched the domain from namedrive to my own server today, so the DNS data was probably cached at google for long time. I guess namedrive sets a superlong TTL on the dns records - pretty dirty trick, if it's really true. I might dig down and verify it later.

jose
3rd May 2007, 10:38 PM
I like statscounter.com. Unlike Google's it gives the direct referer urls where people are coming from. ;) Yes, fully IDN compatible.

P.S: There a hack to make GA do that, but don't know if it is still working.

Olney
4th May 2007, 05:08 AM
Actually you can see the full referal in Analytics.

When setting up Analytics on a new domain it just needs time after the validation to store the traffic data. It's just like putting Adsense on a fresh site that isn't indexed. It might take up to a few days, you don't need to do anything special.