PDA

View Full Version : Too many IDN domainers ?

Pete
4th May 2007, 03:44 AM
I'd like to know what people think about this.

It seems to me that about 95% of all generic idn domains have been bought (or will soon be) by domainers, with little intent or capacity to develop a significant part of them. Unlike the intial run of ascii domains, the common citizen is currently not aware that they can be registered and developped.

When people upgrade their browsers and start to massively check out those IDNs, 95% of the time they will land on parking pages; this can be the case with ascii, but never to such an extent.

I'm wondering what this will do to the initial public assumption about IDNs. It's not a problem per se, but won't people start to think that it's no use browsing to a genenic word or city name IDN because for the next few years all you ever get is a parked page?

I don't think it dimishes IDN value, but I'm wondering how people see this.

sunsei21
4th May 2007, 03:53 AM
it was said about ascii names i personally get tired of running ito parked pages but i r eally know whats going on most might not even notice of what is going on :)

thegenius1
4th May 2007, 03:58 AM
it was said about ascii names i personally get tired of running ito parked pages but i r eally know whats going on most might not even notice of what is going on :)

Exactly most surfers will not even know what type of pages they have hit. Also the way that parking pages are advancing they will be more and more difficult for even Domainers to tell them from developed sites so i've been told :rolleyes: but you get my point.

Pete
4th May 2007, 04:01 AM
With ascii domains, in my experience, you get parked pages on about 10-20% of obvious name that you directly type in the Url. With Idn, in the next couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised that you'll get 90% while people speculate and wait to get large offers of purchase.

Even though a few will get developped and well publicised, seeing so many prime words go unused will give a certain impression.

Fka200
4th May 2007, 04:08 AM
With ascii domains, in my experience, you get parked pages on about 10-20% of obvious name that you directly type in the Url. With Idn, in the next couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised that you'll get 90% while people speculate and wait to get large offers of purchase.

Even though a few will get developped and well publicised, seeing so many prime words go unused will give a certain impression.

i agree that a lot of the IDNs are just parked pages. Sadly, a lot of them will just be parked pages for all of eternity. ::rant::

sunsei21
4th May 2007, 04:08 AM
Exactly most surfers will not even know what type of pages they have hit. Also the way that parking pages are advancing they will be more and more difficult for even Domainers to tell them from developed sites so i've been told :rolleyes: but you get my point.

ya i thinking the same thing the death of ugly parked pages the birth of well designed pages but i have heard the ugly ones convert better lol the useres are in a hurry to get off the ugly page ;)

thegenius1
4th May 2007, 04:09 AM

Well i think that would most likely depend on the language and even down to the extension. Take for instance JP's , it has been estimated and posted on the forum that Japanese Company's own about 30-40%.

clipper
4th May 2007, 04:20 AM
You raise a lot of my own concerns here, but it's part of the risk.

If I'm looking for a mortgage, though, I'm far more likely to go to mortgage.com than I am to, say, 按揭.com, assuming that they show up as 1 & 2 on my search.

It's part of making the internet local.

Companies are still buying ASCIIs that have been parked for years, so we can only hope that IDNs will have the same fortune.

Regarding development, things will get interesting, IMO. Could developing a prime IDN poorly affect the entire market? Good, god, I hope not, but it's another reason for diversification.

It seems to me that about 95% of all generic idn domains have been bought (or will soon be) by domainers, with little intent or capacity to develop a significant part of them. Unlike the intial run of ascii domains, the common citizen is currently not aware that they can be registered and developped.

When people upgrade their browsers and start to massively check out those IDNs, 95% of the time they will land on parking pages; this can be the case with ascii, but never to such an extent.

I'm wondering what this will do to the initial public assumption about IDNs. It's not a problem per se, but won't people start to think that it's no use browsing to a genenic word or city name IDN because for the next few years all you ever get is a parked page?

I don't think it dimishes IDN value, but I'm wondering how people see this.

EDIT: I apologize to the owner of 按揭.com if (s)he is among us (I think so), but it was just used as an example. Oh, and, if you're interested in the .biz... because it's sooooooo much better than .com, shoot me a PM.

Pete
4th May 2007, 04:23 AM
Well i think that would most likely depend on the language and even down to the extension. Take for instance JP's , it has been estimated and posted on the forum that Japanese Company's own about 30-40%.

You are saying that 30-40% of .jp have been bought by companies (not speculators) with real intent to develop in the short term?

If so, I wonder how they were quicker to buy the names than in other languages/extension. I think it will be interesting to watch the dynamics between markets in regards to IDN domain developement as well as speculation.

If I'm looking for a mortgage, though, I'm far more likely to go to mortgage.com than I am to, say, 按揭.com, assuming that they show up as 1 & 2 on my search.

I was under the impression that parked domains, even well done ones, rarely show up at the top of search engines (Google at least) for long. The SE actively take them. Maybe this will change?

clipper
4th May 2007, 04:50 AM
I was under the impression that parked domains, even well done ones, rarely show up at the top of search engines (Google at least) for long. The SE actively take them. Maybe this will change?

Yes, you're right, though there are members here that have attained #1 ranking in G with developed domains (some here are pretty damn good, or are willing to hire the right people, which should alleviate some of your concern).

I'm talking about end users, here, since that's the brass ring. I'm sure that ABN Ambro was not the first to register mortgage.com. Hell, they haven't even WIPO'ed abnambromortgage.com.:eek:

In all honesty, though, I have two IDNs developed that are so horrifying I won't share.

I hope others can represent us better.:p

Olney
4th May 2007, 04:54 AM
With dot jp I think non-Japanese only own about less than 10%

Out of around the 130,000 registrations most are owned by Japanese individuals, & companies. They registered what was related to their company & most kept them since 2001. It was promoted here in Japan & the acceptance by companies went well but IE couldn't use them but most companies know browser compatibility is just a time issue.

People on the site (domain investors) own a lot of domains but there's a huge majority of people who reside in the country or speak the language of the market they invest in.

It's the same with ASCII domains there are top generics but then there will always be good alternatives... My Japanese coworkers went straight for domains I didn't even think of...

rhys
4th May 2007, 05:06 AM
I don't think it will be an issue for Japanese domains for all the reasons expressed here. Lots of end users corporate and otherwise own .jp domains. Look at the .biz whois even and you will see that Japanese individuals have rushed out and competed with the rest of us to reg domains on opening day.

touchring
4th May 2007, 05:51 AM
Yes, one can't help comparing idn.com situation with the failed .info, .biz, and .eu, which is 95% parking pages, but there is some differences:

1. The amount of cybersquatting of idn.com is still much less than .info, .biz, .eu, if you consider there are many languages and fewer idns registered.

2. .EU are mostly corned by large squatters (phantom registrars) that do little or no development. OTOH, idns are spread thinly among small squatters like us that do minisites. :p

3. The relative ease of SEO for IDNs make minisite development profitable, particularly so for Japanese IDNs.

thegenius1
4th May 2007, 06:34 AM
Yes, one can't help comparing idn.com situation with the failed .info, .biz, and .eu, which is 95% parking pages, but there is some differences:

1. The amount of cybersquatting of idn.com is still much less than .info, .biz, .eu, if you consider there are many languages and fewer idns registered.

2. .EU are mostly corned by large squatters (phantom registrars) that do little or no development. OTOH, idns are spread thinly among small squatters like us that do minisites. :p

3. The relative ease of SEO for IDNs make minisite development profitable, particularly so for Japanese IDNs.

WhyTF do people feel they need to tell everything

bwhhisc
4th May 2007, 10:48 AM
It seems to me that about 95% of all generic idn domains have been bought (or will soon be) by domainers, with little intent or capacity to develop a significant part of them. .

With about 50,000,000 ascii domains registered in "just" the English language, IDN registration hasn't even scratched the surface in reality.

Add to that multiple languages, and a way larger non-English speaking base of users (80% of the world does not use English as first language). There are still tens of millions of IDNs that will be registered in coming years.

As pointed out dozens of times on this forum, there is very little type-in with idn; it just never developed with non native language English only urls, but needless to say everyone here is hoping that changes with idns :). Most of the traffic comes from being on page 1 or 2 of the search engines and getting your site clicked on. Developed IDNs can get good and profitable traffic as shown by many of the members sites they have shared here.

Pete
4th May 2007, 05:04 PM
Plenty of fish then.

I guess there is 10 times more gold available, but there is also ten times more potential buyers in new market pools.
Part of the gamble is to see whether future buyers in those emerging markets are as willing to pay xx xxx$+ in large numbers the way english-ascii did (mostly americans I guess).
Undevelopped good ascii generics will probably lose some value in the short term, given the upcoming onslaught of translated terms.

Developpement is key!