PDA

View Full Version : Domains per IP?

jacksonm
7th May 2007, 12:08 PM
Does anyone have evidence of how many domains can be hosted on a single IP before google starts to penalize the rankings, if such a thing occurs at all?

thegenius1
7th May 2007, 12:15 PM
I don't know the exact number , but i think it would a pretty wise move to have more then 1 if you have alot of domains.

touchring
7th May 2007, 12:36 PM
3 domains per IP? No?

jacksonm
7th May 2007, 12:36 PM
I don't know the exact number , but i think it would a pretty wise move to have more then 1 if you have alot of domains.

Relativity... Can I put 135 domains on a single IP without having rankings penalized?

I can get extra IPs for 2 bucks each per month, I just need to get an idea of how many I need.

thegenius1
7th May 2007, 12:45 PM
Relativity... Can I put 135 domains on a single IP without having rankings penalized?

I can get extra IPs for 2 bucks each per month, I just need to get an idea of how many I need.

What hosting company is this ? , i just got another account this week @ 10 bucks a month. That could have been 5.

jacksonm
7th May 2007, 01:04 PM
What hosting company is this ? , i just got another account this week @ 10 bucks a month. That could have been 5.

It's my own private hosting company :-) I pay a fixed price per month to have an entire server there. I buy extra IP addresses and bandwidth from the data center if needed, however 15GB traffic per month is quite a lot when serving up mini-sites.

I have 2 DNS servers, 1 in .fi and one at the data center in .nl. My hosting server is located in .nl on a very high speed international backbone.

My hosting server is a linux machine, and I run lighttpd, php, and postgres. I setup wildcard DNS for all domains. I also have email for all domains, as well as mailing lists if needed.

The data center doesn't impose any restrictions on what I do with my server, as long as it's not illegal; I could run a thousand domains from a single IP and they wouldn't even know or care - they don't have access inside my machine.

thegenius1
7th May 2007, 01:18 PM
Anybody have any idea of any hosting company's that just charge you a small fee like this for additional ip's ?

jacksonm
7th May 2007, 01:27 PM
If you (or anybody else) wants to host mini-sites with me, I'm sure we could work out something reasonable.

I refuse to host any forums, wikis, or bulletin boards, however; they are too resource intensive and require constant tuning to keep the machine running smoothly.

thegenius1
7th May 2007, 01:44 PM
If you (or anybody else) wants to host mini-sites with me, I'm sure we could work out something reasonable.

I refuse to host any forums, wikis, or bulletin boards, however; they are too resource intensive and require constant tuning to keep the machine running smoothly.

Okay cool , thanks for the offer i will definitely be thinking about it this week.

mdw
7th May 2007, 04:14 PM
Google doesn't care how many are mapped to a single IP, it only notices when sites on domains hosted on the same IP address have links to each other. That link may be a bit less valuable than links to another IP address. A collection of sites that are on the same server and have links to each other is something their algorithm looks for I think.

But I do it en masse anyway, and have gotten sites with good PR in spite of it so perhaps it's not very important to them? That would make sense because many commercial hosts have thousands of domains per IP all belonging to individual customers.

touchring
7th May 2007, 04:25 PM
Google doesn't care how many are mapped to a single IP, it only notices when sites on domains hosted on the same IP address have links to each other. That link may be a bit less valuable than links to another IP address. A collection of sites that are on the same server and have links to each other is something their algorithm looks for I think.

But I do it en masse anyway, and have gotten sites with good PR in spite of it so perhaps it's not very important to them? That would make sense because many commercial hosts have thousands of domains per IP all belonging to individual customers.

I read somewhere google checks whois when deciding pr value?

jacksonm
7th May 2007, 04:59 PM
I read somewhere google checks whois when deciding pr value?

I think this is a myth started and propogated by registrars who wanted to sell 10 year registrations at a time. I have a domain that I've registered and always renewed a year at a time, and it has been in number one spot almost since it's creation 3 years ago. For the first year, it hovered between 1st and 7th place, but it's been locked in 1st for a long time now. To make matters even more complicated, there are quite a few more heavily developed and professional sites than mine regarding the same topic which rank lower. My site is less than 10 pages...

One of the things I attribute the ranking to is the use of validated strict html and validated css. Search engines use parsers, and they have a harder time parsing non-compliant code.

ekal
7th May 2007, 06:33 PM
Simple answers ....

1) This started here: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/2006-pubcon-in-vegas-thursday-site-reviews/

IP doesn't matter.

Google wants to know if you run spam sites. Even if they're on different servers or different IPs, they'll still probably be able to associate you with them, if you have them.

2) How long you register for may make a .02% or .01% difference in your ranking, but not much more. Best just to register important sites long-term for safety.

jacksonm
7th May 2007, 07:05 PM
Simple answers ....

1) This started here: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/2006-pubcon-in-vegas-thursday-site-reviews/

IP doesn't matter.

Google wants to know if you run spam sites. Even if they're on different servers or different IPs, they'll still probably be able to associate you with them, if you have them.

2) How long you register for may make a .02% or .01% difference in your ranking, but not much more. Best just to register important sites long-term for safety.

Thanks for the link. I wonder about Yahoo, now...

ekal
7th May 2007, 09:01 PM
No problem.

BTW: those IPs may not be so cheap for much longer:

http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/05/ip-addresses-going-going-gone/

jacksonm
8th May 2007, 05:12 AM
No problem.

BTW: those IPs may not be so cheap for much longer:

http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/05/ip-addresses-going-going-gone/

IPv6 is the answer. The chinese already use it quite heavily, moreso than any other nation. Japan probably comes second.

The change could easily be driven by goverment policy. For example, the US gov makes a policy that all their workstations are IPv6 only. Contractors will immediately switch, subcontractors will switch, etc. The domino effect in action.

Sort of similar to how the US gov created the PC hardware and software industry by mandating that every gov employee have a computer at their desktop, therefore also fueling the massive growth of the internet.

Asiaplay
17th May 2007, 06:11 AM
Hi All.

Interesting topic...

From the experience of the people I know who run multiple master IPs... the rule that works is 1 domain per master IP (anything more and you are asking to be downgraded).
This is assuming you are running sites on the same "topic" (e.g. both are hotel sites) with links to each other.

However if the sites are not related in content matter or links then there is really no set limit - as we all know ISPs all run multiple domains on their servers and if this mattered the SE would be empty (but I am sure that is not the reason you have many master IPs - lol).

Another very important thing to note is that even if you are using different master IPs you need to ensure the "content" of those sites is noticeably different.
People estimate between 12% and 30% different in the source code for a page.
For example change site title, description and perhaps some parts of the page layouts (position of things on the page, sizes of photos and text etc.), for the sites on the different master IPs.
This is as the uniqueness of a site, or even a page on a site determines where it ends up. Yes and this means a lot of work if you are serious in having master IPs and not have them work against you.
If you can not create uniqueness then robot.txt out the pages which are an exact replica of each other except for the domain name.

Guess it all gets down to what can a SE do, before it starts penalising sites that are only slightly different... when most likely those are owned by different people.

Hope these comments are useful... cheers, Asiaplay

PS: thanks for Matt's post as well... interesting reading...