PDA

View Full Version : Arabic Help/Thoughts Please

domainstosell
9th May 2007, 07:47 PM
Hey, I was looking at some terms, and I found some extremely high OVT arabic names available... They seem valid, but am I missing something? I realize the thoughts behind the combo terms in Arabic, but if this is the only way you can type it in, does it matter? Any help is appreciated!

بناتصور.com (xn--mgbbh2at3hra.com)
"Girls Pictures" (بنات صور)
6,654 OVT
Google Trends (http://google.com/trends?q=بنات+صور&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all)

العاببنات.com (xn--mgbaadan4hydwa.com)
"Girls Games" (العاب بنات)
14,407 OVT
Google Trends (http://google.com/trends?q=العاب+بنات&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all)

دردشةعراقية.com (xn--mgbdbvalcw0cwf2d.com)
"Iraqi Chat" (دردشة عراقية)
6,879 OVT
Google Trends (http://google.com/trends?q=دردشة+عراقية&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all)

اغانىعربية.com (xn--mgbade2b8bf1h1an.com)
"Arab Songs" (اغانى عربية)
7,480 OVT
Google Trends (http://google.com/trends?q=اغانى+عربية&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all)

ala101
9th May 2007, 10:17 PM
Hello!
دردشةعراقية.com is good. It means : Iraqi Chat

اغانىعربية.com is good too ( typo ) it means Arabic Songs and its better than the Dictionary word in this case.

others r not good because they concatenate 2 words which is not ok.

Fka200
9th May 2007, 11:06 PM
Hello!

اغانىعربية.com is good too ( typo ) it means Arabic Songs and its better than the Dictionary word in this case.

It's a connected and misspelled. I think it's hideous. Ala, why would this be OK?

bwhhisc
10th May 2007, 12:09 AM
اغانىعربية.com is good too ( typo ) it means Arabic Songs and its better than the Dictionary word in this case. .

Why is this a typo? It get 926,000 google, plus there are quite a few websites with this exact spelling.

Fka200
10th May 2007, 12:21 AM
Why is this a typo? It get 926,000 google, plus there are quite a few websites with this exact spelling.

The last letter should be this: ي

Some people don't care, but I don't really like it on some word. I am a bit of a hypocrite since I have purchased some of these domains ;) There are still some major words left, but I just don't like 'em.

Hence: "Hideous." Lol.

bwhhisc
10th May 2007, 12:35 AM
The last letter should be this: ي
Some people don't care, but I don't really like it on some word. I am a bit of a hypocrite since I have purchased some of these domains ;) There are still some major words left, but I just don't like 'em.
Hence: "Hideous." Lol.

I get no google trends adding that letter (I know the text is reverse from English).
Can you spell the word out, my Arabic spelling has not improved much in the last year :o

Fka200
10th May 2007, 03:42 AM
I get no google trends adding that letter (I know the text is reverse from English).
Can you spell the word out, my Arabic spelling has not improved much in the last year :o

http://google.com/trends?q=%D8%A7%D8%BA%D8%A7%D9%86%D9%8A%2C+%D8%A7%D8%BA%D8%A7%D9%86%D9%89

ala101
10th May 2007, 03:57 AM
I thought that it is good since it is using ى so this doesn't make it connected (اغانىعربية )
While if we type it using the correct letter ي it will be connected ( أغانيعربية )
That's why i think it's better than the dictionary word in this case.

bwhhisc
10th May 2007, 11:59 AM
923,000 "google" اغاني عربية

895,000 "google" as typo "اغانى عربية

seems really high google for a typo, google trends for the two words show that in
Sudan and Libya the "typo" is a good bit more popular if google trends are accurate.

http://google.com/trends?q=%D8%A7%D8%BA%D8%A7%D9%86%D9%8A+%D8%B9%D8%B1%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%A9%2C%D8%A7%D8%BA%D8%A7%D9%86%D9%89+%D8%B9%D8%B1%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%A9&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all

domainstosell
10th May 2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks guys,

I have another question, though. I know we always talk about two-word Arabic terms being connected, but I am seeing something strange depending on where I view the terms. For example:

The term "العاب بنات" (Girls Games). When I look at it here on the forum, put together like you do for a domain name, I still see it as two distinct words, "العاببنات". It doesn't change the look of the words to me. It looks the same as if I took the English words "Girls Games" and put them together to make "GirlsGames."

But when I put "العاب بنات" together in Google Translate, for example, it changes the look of the letters. So are these really connecting and changing letters universally, or is it a font issue, depending on where you are viewing the words, that has been the problem this whole time?

For each of the four terms I listed, I'm looking at them right now on the forum, and I can see the two separate, distinct words in the domain. They don't run together or change the composition of letters for me...

What's with that?

ala101
10th May 2007, 02:49 PM
Hello domainstosell!
When you write in english, letters are all seperated .
girls + games = girlsgames All letters have the same writing style.

But when writing in Arabic connect-able letters get connected. So
ألعاب + بنات = ألعاببنات The 2 words got connected because the last letter in ألعاب is connect-able , also its shape has changed from ب to بـ .
it was ألعاب and when connected it became ألعابـ ـ

This is why we think it is not ok to merge words that are connect-able .

domainstosell
10th May 2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks ala, I think I understand. The thing I'm having trouble getting, though, is that I don't actually see the change in the letters...

When I put ألعاب + بنات, I don't physically see a shape change in the letters ب and ب, they just look like they are sitting next to each other, unconnected and unchanged...

Am I missing something? Thanks for the patience in helping me with this, I've been confused about this aspect of Arabic domains for a while now.

Fka200
10th May 2007, 03:42 PM
Thanks ala, I think I understand. The thing I'm having trouble getting, though, is that I don't actually see the change in the letters...

When I put ألعاب + بنات, I don't physically see a shape change in the letters ب and ب, they just look like they are sitting next to each other, unconnected and unchanged...

Am I missing something? Thanks for the patience in helping me with this, I've been confused about this aspect of Arabic domains for a while now.

They do in fact connect.

ألعاب + بنات

ألعاببنات

bwhhisc
10th May 2007, 03:51 PM
Are 2 words that are connected together (but cut off part of one of the letters as they are joined) still "readable" to an Arabic person.

Or put simply, if you showed the average person the two words together would they recognize what the 2 words are?

Fka200
10th May 2007, 04:00 PM
Are 2 words that are connected together (but cut off part of one of the letters as they are joined) still "readable" to an Arabic person.

Or put simply, if you showed the average person the two words together would they recognize what the 2 words are?

I'm pretty sure some words would be recognizable.

The only problem is for resale/PPC they would be garbage; this is just my opinion. I'm sure there are some adult terms that would get traffic anyways, but anything else seems like it would be a dud (when you get bored on some nights, you reg anything--I have reg'd two words connected knowing 100% it was garbage).

domainstosell
10th May 2007, 04:00 PM
I'm sorry, i'm not trying to be obtuse, but that larger font just illustrates even more to me that, on my system, they are sitting side-by-side, unconnected and unchanged.

I'm not trying to argue at all... Nobody else sees this?

I'm using a Mac with Safari, I'll try Firefox, and when I get home I'll try IE7, and see if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks...

Fka200
10th May 2007, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry, i'm not trying to be obtuse, but that larger font just illustrates even more to me that, on my system, they are sitting side-by-side, unconnected and unchanged.

I'm not trying to argue at all... Nobody else sees this?

I'm using a Mac with Safari, I'll try Firefox, and when I get home I'll try IE7, and see if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks...

Awww, now you hafta take a screen shot for us. I really want to see how it looks in Safari.

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/3467/filezlr4.jpg

domainstosell
10th May 2007, 04:24 PM
Here's how they look in Safari; I checked in Firefox, and now I see where the misunderstanding was... They are connected in Firefox.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j25/IHadYourMom/Picture1.png

Wierd, huh? Does this mean anything as far as the domains are concerned?

bwhhisc
10th May 2007, 04:30 PM
I'm pretty sure some words would be recognizable.
The only problem is for resale/PPC they would be garbage; this is just my opinion. I'm sure there are some adult terms that would get traffic anyways, but anything else seems like it would be a dud (when you get bored on some nights, you reg anything--I have reg'd two words connected knowing 100% it was garbage).

So that leaves the alternative to register with the dash (-), or is there another option for 2 words that don't mesh?

The -dash- combos should do good with search engines, but are what about with Arabic domainers?

thefabfive
10th May 2007, 04:30 PM
Looks like none of your letters are connecting together. Something screwy with the Arabic font in Safari.

I'd probably use Firefox or IE7 as that is what an Arabic speaking user is likely to see.

Do you think that will be the only "solution" to putting together 2 word terms that don't stick. I am sure they will do fine that way with search engines, but are what about with Arabic domainers. I have a few French with the - and they get good consistant traffic.
Many French terms are normally written with the - in everyday correspondence. I don't think this is true of Arabic.

However, I do agree that Arabic domainers will find a "solution" or an inconvenient necessity and that technique will stick (pardon the pun).