PDA

View Full Version : 38 domains on DNLocal Lucky Dip Auction

burnsinternet
11th May 2007, 08:20 AM
If you haven't looked at the Lucky Dip Auction on DNLocal, there are 38 domains (including 10 Arabic and 10 Japanese) at auction.

Bidding starts at $10 and many domains have no reserve! :o

If you haven't looked, you are really missing out on a bargain! Click through all the different languages to see all your choices.

http://www.dnlocal.com/eliteauctions

mdw
11th May 2007, 03:33 PM
Even Icelandic! great job guys, this looks like a good place to hang out and find some deals

burnsinternet
11th May 2007, 03:51 PM
I would have put up some Swedish if I thought anyone would bid.

mdw
11th May 2007, 03:56 PM
probably not, but you never know if you don't put it out there to see.

I think that's the only Icelandic domain I've ever seen for sale - $10 might take it!

Rubber Duck
11th May 2007, 04:26 PM
Anyone wishing to add Names or obtain a buyer identity should contact Mulligan ASAP. Auction is free but you need to register. To make it easy for Mulligan, it would be best if you could PM him at DNlocal.com.

jacksonm
11th May 2007, 05:48 PM
I would have put up some Swedish if I thought anyone would bid.

I am potentially interested in swedish .coms. They need to be fairly high-calibre, though, as the market is small.

burnsinternet
11th May 2007, 06:22 PM
Dot com? Why not .se? (By the way, there's no place like 127.0.0.1)

jacksonm
11th May 2007, 06:30 PM
Dot com? Why not .se? (By the way, there's no place like 127.0.0.1)

:-)

Not all swedish speakers live in Sweden. In fact, many of the richest ones live in Finland.

domainstosell
11th May 2007, 06:31 PM
I have a couple .se's that are doing fairly well...

burnsinternet
11th May 2007, 06:31 PM
The Swedish market may be small, but the CTR and RPC are incredible. PM sent.

rofsjan
11th May 2007, 07:43 PM
Dot com? Why not .se?

In my opinion is .se as good as .com or maybe even better (for IDNs in Swedish language). Success.

jacksonm
11th May 2007, 07:46 PM
In my opinion is .se as good as .com or maybe even better (for IDNs in Swiss). Success.

Swiss is not a language. In Switzerland, they either speak bastardized french, bastardized german, or a strange mixture thereof :-)

Rubber Duck
11th May 2007, 07:54 PM
Swiss is not a language. In Switzerland, they either speak bastardized french, bastardized german, or a strange mixture thereof :-)

Careful, the French always said I spoke Vaudois. I was resident near Lausanne for a year. A place close to my heart. Actually it was the French that changed things Vaudois is like a medevial french. There is no Soixante-dix or Quartrevingt in Vaudois.

If only it were that simple. I need to refer to technical paper to do my University Project. Unfortunately, the damned thing was written in Romansh. Before you all go out their ploughing into Romansh domains, just check how many first language speakers there actually are!

rofsjan
11th May 2007, 07:54 PM
Swiss is not a language.

Corrected. Thank you. :-)

dada
11th May 2007, 11:15 PM
Not clear about bidding on DNlocal

I made several bids - and yet they went nowhere.
Black hole?

Rubber Duck
11th May 2007, 11:16 PM
Not clear about bidding on DNlocal

I made several bids - and yet they went nowhere.
Black hole?

Possibly best addressed on Feedback section at DNLocal, but please explain your problem. Have you registered as a buyer and logged into the interface?

burnsinternet
12th May 2007, 12:04 AM
I had the same issue. Open the item and see if the bid amount is the same. I must have bid at the same time as someone else sometimes, so bid again on one you like best and see if it takes.

Rubber Duck
12th May 2007, 12:08 AM
Are you sure you are not confronting Proxy Bidding? If you go one increment, but somebody else has a Proxy Vote that exceeds you bid then the amount increasese to what you bid but the they remain the highest bidder because effectively they bid before you did. All you have done is reveal the level to which they have already committed.

burnsinternet
12th May 2007, 12:19 AM
I think I tried that. I bid once, then went back to place a higher maximum bid, so I know exactly what the original bid was - it was mine. Instead of staying the same or going $5 higher, it made my maximum bid the actual bid so I outbid myself from $10 to $50 or so.

By the way, thank you Mulligan for changing the main page. Very cool to see all that action. Any way to protect the innocent from snipers?

Rubber Duck
12th May 2007, 12:25 AM
Well Dada has not registered as Buyer so he cannot have logged into bid.

Please read the instructions.

I have just bid $20 on Mulligan's Digital Television, a bid of $15 dollars has been registered, so the Proxy seems to be working.

Not sure what happened on the $50 bid but that must be the only name that is above that level and that has already gone to $115, so I guess no harm done.

I can only assume that a proxy bid was placed between you checking and bidding that pushed you to $50.

mulligan
12th May 2007, 12:35 AM
I think I tried that. I bid once, then went back to place a higher maximum bid, so I know exactly what the original bid was - it was mine. Instead of staying the same or going $5 higher, it made my maximum bid the actual bid so I outbid myself from $10 to $50 or so.

By the way, thank you Mulligan for changing the main page. Very cool to see all that action. Any way to protect the innocent from snipers?
I see the auction you are talking about and it seems to me the reason you jumped from $15 to $50 was another bidder had previously placed a higher bid than your 2nd bid of $50 so it registered that and would have showed you as still being outbid. (You can check the history of bids by clicking on the ( View History ) link beside the number of bids and that will explain it better than I can)

No ... no protection from snipers, we have the capability to do so by extending auctions if they get a bid in the last 5 minutes or last minute or even the last second but it is not something we want to do as it negates the point of bargain hunting.

Rubber Duck
12th May 2007, 12:38 AM
Any way to protect the innocent from snipers?

No, we don't want an accountancy excercise. The real Adrehaline is in a sudden death auction!

Steve perhaps we should put up one of those disclaimers like they do on the big White Knuckle rides?

clipper
12th May 2007, 07:52 AM
Seems to work fine for me. I would suggest, however, a link to the auction terms on every page of the auction. It should be in the footer include.

bwhhisc
12th May 2007, 10:39 AM
double post

bwhhisc
12th May 2007, 10:41 AM
No, we don't want an accountancy excercise. The real Adrehaline is in a sudden death auction! Steve perhaps we should put up one of those disclaimers like they do on the big White Knuckle rides?

That is what has made EBAY so addictive to many...the final moments and fast paced sniping.

Rubber Duck
12th May 2007, 11:24 AM
That is what has made EBAY so addictive to many...the final moments and fast paced sniping.

That is correct.

A lot of Auctions have killed the excitement of the chase, by extending to attempt to squeeze every last drop out of the buyers. The problem is that is doubtful whether on the whole the seller gets such a good deal. Yes, there are bargains but there is also serious competition. Removing the possibility of stealing removes much of the excitement and in probably makes it less likely that the seller gets a good price rather than more so. The psychology doesn't work, but you cannot expect a load of faceless suits to understand that.

What should make our format even more addictive is the fact that we are staging it as an event similar to conference Live Auctions, rather than as a drip drip affair that runs 24-7. The key to a good auction is getting the focus of your buyers at a place and moment in time. As the momentum builds we are sure we can achieve that. In the short-term, we have just have to get people interested, and there is only one way of doing that, and that is to roll out a few bargains. Incidentally, I have been tipped off that one of my Translations greatly understates the value of the domain by one of the bidders, but we will just have to see whether you lot can figure out which one!

burnsinternet
12th May 2007, 11:43 AM
No, we don't want an accountancy excercise. The real Adrehaline is in a sudden death auction!

Steve perhaps we should put up one of those disclaimers like they do on the big White Knuckle rides?

I was kidding, guys. Snipers are a fact of life in these auctions.