PDA

View Full Version : ₤.com

Clotho
26th February 2006, 09:50 AM
I have the domain ₤.com. I believe it is the symbol for Lira in Italy. Can anyone verify this for me? I am also curious to know if an Italian user can easily type this symbol in. (as easily as $ is typed in, in North America) Since the advent of the euro, the Lira as a currency isn't in use anymore. Is this symbol still used in Italy in any way? Is it used in any other parts of the world for anything?

What sort of application do you think a domain like this might have?

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

thegenius1
26th February 2006, 09:56 AM
I have the domain ₤.com. I believe it is the symbol for Lira in Italy. Can anyone verify this for me? I am also curious to know if an Italian user can easily type this symbol in. (as easily as $ is typed in, in North America) Since the advent of the euro, the Lira as a currency isn't in use anymore. Is this symbol still used in Italy in any way? Is it used in any other parts of the world for anything?

What sort of application do you think a domain like this might have?

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Im almost 100% sure it is the symbol for Euro... I think its a awsome name, like owning $.com .... these are going to have huge click thru rates imo

Rubber Duck
26th February 2006, 10:12 AM
Im almost 100% sure it is the symbol for Euro... I think its a awsome name, like owning $.com .... these are going to have huge click thru rates imo

No this neither the Pound (£) sign nor the Euro (€) Sign, although it had me going for a while on the £.

Clotho
26th February 2006, 10:44 AM
No this neither the Pound (£) sign nor the Euro (€) Sign, although it had me going for a while on the £.

This is why I am pretty certain it is the symbol for Lira. If anyone would know that it isn't the symbol for the Pound it would be Dave. :) I also seem to recall finding references for it being used for some other currencies as well.

Edwin
26th February 2006, 12:25 PM
Even if it did mean lira, I'm a bit confused about what the point of the domain would be, given that Italy uses the Euro now...

touchring
26th February 2006, 12:26 PM

Good point, will uk switch to use euro in the future?

Clotho
26th February 2006, 01:05 PM
Even if it did mean lira, I'm a bit confused about what the point of the domain would be, given that Italy uses the Euro now...

I have confirmed that this is the symbol for Lira. When I first registered this symbol it was 2001 and the Euro didn't exist yet. Furthermore, this is the symbol used to represent the currency of both Turkey and Malta in the present day. Can anyone confirm that a person in Turkey can enter this character straight from the keyboard?

Rubber Duck
26th February 2006, 01:09 PM
I have confirmed that this is the symbol for Lira. When I first registered this symbol it was 2001 and the Euro didn't exist yet. Furthermore, this is the symbol used to represent the currency of both Turkey and Malta in the present day. Can anyone confirm that a person in Turkey can enter this character straight from the keyboard?

Malta will also be forced to join the Euro, so it is down to Turkey and even they must join if they are to achieve their ambition of joining the EU.

The one thing that concerns me about these currency symbols is that Google will not search on them.

Clotho
26th February 2006, 01:18 PM
I noticed that Google won't search on them as well. It does seem possible though that they may be a character that can be typed in directly. That is more than can be said for the majority of these Novelty domains. I am certain that I have seen keyboards with the £ symbol (Pound not Lira) on them.

yanni
27th February 2006, 06:39 PM
₤ lira sign (formerly used in Italy, San Marino and Vatican City, and currently sometimes in Malta, also handwritten for GBP)

according to wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currency_symbols

ilcesco
1st April 2006, 11:46 AM
Lira is no more used in Italy& san marino, since the introduction of the Euro currency in the early 2002.

We use Euro (€) now.

Cheers from italy :p

jose
1st April 2006, 05:03 PM
I have :

€pay.com
€news.com
€realestate.com
€creditcard.com
among others.

300 Million Europeans use € and have the € symbol on the keyboard.
And the number will grow in the Future.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro