PDA

View Full Version : eNom sucks

rhys
19th May 2007, 05:48 PM
Why does anyone here bother to use eNom? How the hell do they get away with $30 reg fees for .net. What kind of idiot registers their IDNs with them?

From now on if anyone is selling IDNs held at eNOM on an auction, I will insist as a precondition that it be transfered at time of sale to my registrar of choice. Anyone else with me on that? F&*^ers!

touchring
19th May 2007, 06:14 PM
Hey, i think i know who's that idiot. :p

Yes, i got "fined" $30 bucks once - only knew when they sent the email over - autorenewal!

No offense. :)

jacksonm
19th May 2007, 06:36 PM
Why does anyone here bother to use eNom? How the hell do they get away with $30 reg fees for .net. What kind of idiot registers their IDNs with them?

From now on if anyone is selling IDNs held at eNOM on an auction, I will insist as a precondition that it be transfered at time of sale to my registrar of choice. Anyone else
with me on that? F&*^ers!

They only cost $30 for end-users, not for "domainers". They do not target end-users as customers.

The reasons why people use them is:

1. the prices for resellers are about $6-8
2. they are one of the very few registrars which have an API

I have bought several domains where the seller had it reged at enom, and I always just ask them for the auth-code and unlock the domain after I've paid them. This works out ok anyhow when the domain is close to expiration, enough time to transfer to e.g. domainsite and then you have to renew it for a year.

I don't see how a seller could care less whether they push it to your enom account or give you the auth-code and unlock the domain (unless the domain is already expired, in which case you should just pay them $6-7 to renew it before initiating the pull).

rhys
19th May 2007, 06:51 PM
Also their transfer interface is deliberately ambiguous. And they lock new transfers in for 60 days. Anyone have a clue how to use it?

L@@K
19th May 2007, 08:07 PM
Hi all,

For info, Dynadot just added an API (beta). :)

You can only search, but soon reg & delete !!!

jacksonm
19th May 2007, 08:22 PM
Hi all,

For info, Dynadot just added an API (beta). :)

You can only search, but soon reg & delete !!!

Got a link?

L@@K
19th May 2007, 08:52 PM
Hoops!
Sorry, jacksonm :)

here the 'useful' link (http://www.dynadot.com/domain/api.html)

Regards

mdw
19th May 2007, 11:11 PM
Whoa that is good news, thanks L@@k

I've been transferring my domains away from here as they approach renewal time. But I may just keep a bunch in there to play with their upcoming API.

I agree that was enom's secret - nobody had an API like theirs. When you have the only game in town, you can get away with offering pathetic value and chumps will line up all day long to use your services. Hurry up and code this thing Dynadot!

Which makes me wonder, why others haven't done it earlier? There must not be much demand. Why not?

rhys
20th May 2007, 02:58 AM
What is the API good for?

Also anyone have a clue how to transfer something out of there?

burnsinternet
20th May 2007, 05:12 AM
I'm not a reseller and I, personally, do not buy domains for sale or auction registered at Enom.

bwhhisc
20th May 2007, 11:11 AM
Also anyone have a clue how to transfer something out of there?

Click on the Domain Name
Click on "General Settings"
Click on "Authorization Info / EPP Key"
(enom will e-mail you transfer authorization code)
Next, "Disable" Registrar lock
Save Settings
Cross Fingers

Give other registrar transfer code.
Accept transfer if asked by email.

Note for ENOM- Best to go back a day later and make sure domains are still in "unlocked" position.
Sometimes a small percentage end up back in locked position in which case transfer cannot proceed.

If you are transferring to Domainsite, be careful because often is changes the upper case
transfer letters to lower case. You may have to go back and check that and re-enter manually
in which case it will stick.

Also, Domainsite will send you an email to approve the ENOM transfers, and if you don't follow
and click link the transfer will not initiate.

Drewbert
20th May 2007, 05:13 PM
>Click on "Authorization Info / EPP Key"
>(enom will e-mail you transfer authorization code)

Also note that sometimes this doesn't "stick" and you have to do it again.

touchring
20th May 2007, 05:19 PM
Click on the Domain Name
Click on "General Settings"
Click on "Authorization Info / EPP Key"
(enom will e-mail you transfer authorization code)
Next, "Disable" Registrar lock
Save Settings
Cross Fingers

Give other registrar transfer code.
Accept transfer if asked by email.

Note for ENOM- Best to go back a day later and make sure domains are still in "unlocked" position.
Sometimes a small percentage end up back in locked position in which case transfer cannot proceed.

If you are transferring to Domainsite, be careful because often is changes the upper case
transfer letters to lower case. You may have to go back and check that and re-enter manually
in which case it will stick.

Also, Domainsite will send you an email to approve the ENOM transfers, and if you don't follow
and click link the transfer will not initiate.

LOL, they really make it difficult if you need to transfer hundreds of names. I just did this earlier this year - going thru hundreds of auth emails!!

mulligan
20th May 2007, 05:44 PM
I submitted a support ticket saying the 'send EPP code by email' wasn't working for me and could they process it manually ... surprisingly they sent me an email with all EPPs in one go