PDA

View Full Version : Any people who speak chinese on these forums?

tgtbtu2
21st May 2007, 05:19 PM
Please, try to help each other; i can't belive there is nobody speaking chinese here-so what is the reason to not help with translation?
I repost:
果蔬汁.com
瓶装水.com
软饮料.cn
Registered over the weekend. There seems to be so many good keywords left but I am not sure if my translation is correct. I'll stick to spanish/portuguese however (I already started to develop a few sites, insurance related as I have many insurance keywords, in ascii and idn) but I'd like to hedge a bit, getting some cn or jp names. I am not so convinced about the future of .coms in china or japan but I'll get some of those as well to be covered-and they are cheap too. I think I am done with new reg and will concentrate on legal/admin/dev issues at this point; I will occasionally pick one or two here and there for sure but I think I am all set in general.
So, two things, if anybody can help:
-soft drink or soft drinks?
- I just registered it last weekend and I keep getting hits from jprs.co.jp. Why jp? Is this not chinese?
Thanks in advance for help with the names above.

thefabfive
21st May 2007, 05:26 PM
-

markits
21st May 2007, 05:27 PM
Thefab is right.

tgtbtu2
21st May 2007, 05:36 PM
Thanks a lot.

Asiaplay
21st May 2007, 06:57 PM
Hi tgtbtu2,

A couple of comments, that I hope are useful...

Firstly Fab is correct - there are no plurals in Chinese (plurals are done by adding the number to the front e.g. 1 "measure word" fruit juice or 1 "bottle" fruit juice, 2 "bottle" fruit juice, 3 "bottle" fruit juice or 1 "can" coke etc. etc.)

果蔬汁.com Fruit vegetable juice (should be in different order really as 蔬果汁.com - namely vegetable fruit juice to be more correct, but is basically understandable as English style Chinese - note that it uses traditional characters for HK & Taiwan use only)

瓶装水.com Bottled water (is correct - uses traditional characters for HK & Taiwan use only - so I am glad that you registered this one as a .com and not a .cn - well done !!!)

软饮料.cn Soft soft drinks (soft drink(s) should be 软料.cn - this is soft soft drinks where 2nd character literally means soft as in reverse of hard - uses traditional characters for HK & Taiwan only - really is a little strange for a .cn to use non-simplified characters, as is the mix of characters being a little strange)

The 2nd one is useful (30% success if you want 100% correct names - 50/50 if you are ok with errors) - the other two only semi useful as in a sense the spelling is incorrect and you are looking for a spelling error for them to become useful / be used by someone.

However I suggest that it really is time for you to get a Chinese partner - wink...:eek:

Hope comments are useful...

Cheers, Asiaplay

PS: please do not take comments on Chinese partner negatively... as virtually everyone in the forums is making the same mistakes with thinking Chinese or any other Asian language can be translated using an online translation software... it really can't yet... not yet!!!
(and so far google translation is the best substitute for not using a real life translator I have seen... but still not good enough :) )

tgtbtu2
21st May 2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the comments.
What about this:
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:%E8%BD%AF%E9%A5%AE%E6%96%99

blastfromthepast
22nd May 2007, 12:32 AM
Please, try to help each other; i can't belive there is nobody speaking chinese here-so what is the reason to not help with translation?

Because translations costs $$ and nobody wants to do it for free. Helping others can also be detrimental to your own interest. Why do you think so few domains in the appraisal section get appraised? Don't be naïve.

tgtbtu2
22nd May 2007, 12:44 AM
I am far from being naive. But I would always help somebody in a place I belong to. That's may be a lesson you still need to get-be generous and you'll get back tenfold in kind. You can't have it all-and if some of you live in the world of their egos-and I know exactly who does-it's their problem and I don't care how they live.
As you recall, I was already banned from this forums for two weeks just for saying "thank God I am not @#$%^". So, I am not being naive as to who I am dealing with. But if somebody asks for something, always give. Trust me, it works wonders.

thefabfive
22nd May 2007, 12:48 AM
-

blastfromthepast
22nd May 2007, 12:50 AM
There are a few reasons to help: To boost your own ego. To promote yourself. Establish credibility.

However, all of that goes out the window if your help can be used in a competitive way against you.

This IDN party is not a charity concert. People are competing for the same names.

You can't have it all? Sure you can. If you get in early in the game, you can certainly have it all. And some do. The rest can eat cake!

tgtbtu2
22nd May 2007, 12:51 AM
What racism, buddy? I can be pretty rude too; don't tempt me.

There are a few reasons to help:

1. To boost your own ego.
2. To promote yourself.
3. Establish credibility.

However, all of that goes out the window if your help can be used in a competitive way against you.

This IDN party is not a charity concert. People are competing for the same names.

You can't have it all? Sure you can. If you get in early in the game, you can certainly have it all. And some do. The rest can eat cake!

All those above are wrong reasons. If memebrs are not going to help each other-within reason-then this is not a place to be. It will simply have no credibility and all that our "senior members" (and junior ones too)would be saying, would be just perceived as marketing, self-promotion and, sometimes even misleading crap.
Do you want to be in a place like that?

blastfromthepast
22nd May 2007, 01:02 AM

Welcome to the internet.

Asiaplay
22nd May 2007, 07:39 AM
Hi Guys,

I feel I have to comment on this - as one person being called naive in essence is calling anyone who supplies more than a dumb answer as also being naive!!!

I understand the point - but not all people in these forums are in the IDN trading business (nor want to be)... which I know is hard for some of you to understand.

In my own case my interest is in specific IDNs for my own personal project use - namely my business is running online shop(s) and an IDN is purely to support this.
I am in marketing - you are in trading (damn sounds like a good match to me!)

Saying this... I will not be openly telling everyone what I am looking for so it can be bought up and sold to me at a premium.
However I am also happy to offer advice / experience and comments on domains to who-ever is polite and friendly (and thinks that my comments are worth anything... and have no problem if you think they are crap either - smile).

So, yes - this could be considered naive, however to me it is business focus... and basically I am in the marketing and not the IDN field and the type of guy you guys need to attract more if you ever want to IDNs to become famous.
You are at last getting a new breed of people in the forum - who's key business is marketing and not trading (I would call this a turning of the corner if I was you and work together a little more).

However I am beginning to see that people in here can be not too helpful (and over-competitive somehow - in the fact that my question on SEO has been so nicely overlooked by all the SEO gurus who are here - no one has even been nice enough to comment via PM to me yet!!!)
However tgtbtu2 has already purchased these - what harm is it to tell him if what he has is correct and opinions if he asks.

Also I am happy to do this to anyone of you when you ask (I am not appraising the value - just commenting on the correctness of translation... to be honest you guys are the experts on the former). I am also not a total expert and you have to take this into account (however I am 1000 times more of an expert than most of you with Chinese & have fluent speaking friends of Korean who I can ask comments from etc. etc. - so perhaps someone being naive has actually gained some benefit).

However - I do agree with tgtbtu2 - why not share when you can sometimes.
If you see it as a commercial issue - be nice and PM sometimes rather than opening answer in the forums.

Just an idea - but you guys working together might actually help IDNs as a whole.

Just some comments... cheers, Asiaplay...

<--- naive guy crawls back under his rock...

markits
22nd May 2007, 07:51 AM
What is the mess here?

touchring
22nd May 2007, 07:52 AM
Hi Guys,

I feel I have to comment on this.

I think you will find out that IDNs are the most secretive aspect of domaining and even web development.

Before Olney started this forum, there was virtually nothing spoken about it - try searching IDN on namepros and dnforum, you'll be surprised how secretive people are on idns from 2003-2005. Only Olney was generous enough to share the info.

The reality is that the only way to research about idns is to check through the entire history of idnf, go through the posts, gather bits and pieces of information people leak out and form an entire picture.

Olney
22nd May 2007, 07:55 AM
Also sometimes not everyone gets a chance to look at all posts.
With AsiaPlay I actually can't remember seeing any of his SEO related posts (might have glanced but can't remember all of them now)

But sometimes PMing specific questions after a while to people you feel familiar with works well.

There's a few members who are here from other various forums, & sometimes here is not the main forum for their business, especially those in SEO, development etc...

touchring
22nd May 2007, 07:57 AM
However - I do agree with tgtbtu2 - why not share when you can sometimes.
If you see it as a commercial issue - be nice and PM sometimes rather than opening answer in the forums.

Careful on that, you should check what tgtbtu2 said that caused the commotion.

Asiaplay
22nd May 2007, 08:20 AM
Hi Again,

I agree Olney has been very helpful to us all - and I for one appreciate answers he has given me to PMs I have given him (and also for creating this forum and running it in an exceptionally professional manor).

Thanks Olney... really mean this.

Please note that I am not offended at all - frank exchange is good sometimes.

I however also think that sometimes people working together can help the overall IDN community and to date I have found people in here very helpful, friendly, humorous, resourceful and a great help!

This forum is great and we all owe Olney a big thanks for helping to make IDNs understood better by the world at large.

Cheers & just comments all (no worries) - thanks again, Asiaplay.

tgtbtu2
22nd May 2007, 10:21 AM
Careful on that, you should check what tgtbtu2 said that caused the commotion.
You mean, what I said about @#$%^&? I just said, "thanks God I am not @#$%^&"". I think, you are raising a good point. People should know who said and done what in order to judge correctly. Now had I said "Thank God, I am not British" I doubt, I'd be banned. It occurs to me that you are being hypocritical here.
But have no worry; I now say either good or nothing of @#$%^& on this forum.
You started this commotion again; some oversensitive folks even called me racist for typing "@#$%^&". You people are very sick, really.

I understand the point - but not all people in these forums are in the IDN trading business (nor want to be)... which I know is hard for some of you to understand.

It's not hard to understand; Very few people here are in "idn trading business"-I am certainly not one of them. I personally never sold/traded domains and don't intend to (at least for now). may be it's because I have the money to renew for another 50 years so I am not overstretched - and I have a substantial number of domains.
Overall, it's a good place to learn... Kind of like life-all sort of characters but mostly well-meaning. And of others, I say nothing.

touchring
22nd May 2007, 01:38 PM
It has nothing to do with Anglos - by the way, they are the minority on this forum.

Language and people are two different thing.

The people here are generally quite international, they live or used to work in different countries, so people here are very sensitive to this kind of talking. Even a hint is not acceptable.

alpha
22nd May 2007, 01:49 PM
...However I am beginning to see that people in here can be not too helpful (and over-competitive somehow ...

Forums exist and evolve to serve a number of purposes.

Some forums are simply a repository of free information, that anyone can wander in and take take take.

that is not what you will find here.

what you will find here is a close knit community, where the tricks of the trade and really useful advice are often shared by PM or offline via IM.

this is not some clandescent club, it's called good old "networking". The old fashioned way, where you bring stuff to the party, you build up trust and people share with you.

it's not a too uncommon concept.

but like so many that have tried with their first post being "who can tell me when IDN's drop?" or "who knows what zone files are available" you will be met with a frosty silence.

but show up, put in the effort, share what you can from your expereinces - and contribute, and in time you will be rewarded.

i can't put it any simpler than that.

you could always show willing by signing up as a "Premium" membership.

or you could just read from post #1 through to god knows how many and piece together the huge jigsaw puzzle of info

tgtbtu2
22nd May 2007, 02:12 PM
It has nothing to do with Anglos - by the way, they are the minority on this forum.

Language and people are two different thing.

The people here are generally quite international, they live or used to work in different countries, so people here are very sensitive to this kind of talking. Even a hint is not acceptable.

You can be sensitive all you want. But get this: I don't like to be called names for nothing. So, here is a warning- t g t b t u 2 is my official business name; I was granted by the State of New York the authority to do business as "t g t b t u 2 " as "assumed name" (this is a form of legal entity in US). So, next time somebody call me something (like "t g t b t u 2 is ....") , make sure it's not defamatory-or, if you live in US, you may be legally liable and don't think you can hide behind a nic.
If some have doubts as to what is defamatory and what is not in US, try to google it. If you never been through litigation (I have), I can assure you, it may be very costly.

Moderators, take note- this is a public notice and I will take a screenshot of this .
I call upon all to be civic and not assume that some are more equal than others.

alpha
22nd May 2007, 02:17 PM
... if you live in US

so

if i don't live in the US

and I think you're a racist pratt

is that ok?

tgtbtu2
22nd May 2007, 02:21 PM
so

if i don't live in the US

and I think you're a racist pratt

is that ok?
Yes, it's OK. I don't care what you think. I am only interested in your money, especially if you live in US.

Asiaplay
22nd May 2007, 03:21 PM
Alphamale,

Agree with your comments and this is a very good forum...

(I guess I was just shocked, when someone got shot down for asking the meaning of some IDNs, but I understand a little more now ... and really feel this is all history that we should now put behind ourselves... so lets all move onwards and upwards).

I also agree it is important to contribute where we all can and this is why I am now taking the time and try to answer any questions in full, where-ever I think I may be able to assist others in some way.
I hope my posts have been useful to someone - if not then please let me know, as I am not wanting to just rave on (although I am starting to in this particular post - smile).

I also appreciate your comments here and agree people in the forum can be very helpful - and are also very knowledgeable in the IDN & SEO areas (and I am sure many more which I am yet to discover).

Personally I find that a very well run forum like this, is very refreshing... and it is unique in the calibre of IDN people who are in here.

I will check out the premium membership (thanks for the hint) - somehow I missed that there even was more than one level of membership (so thanks for pointing this out for me... I am off to hunt info on that now - cheers... :) )

Tgtbtu2,

Let's move on from here - I think the point has now been made by all in this post... and really we are all ultimately here to gain experience and gain friends where we can (as obviously we share a common interest in even showing up here).

My earlier post was in support of what I saw was a fair question for someone to ask (namely the meaning of some IDN names) - so please understand that I thought that your question was a legitimate one to ask.

I really did try do my best to answer your questions in the three posts you raised on the meaning of your new Chinese IDNs (and I did follow-up, when you rightly questioned my first answer on one of them).
I am also very glad you did, as it enabled me to look more closely at that particular term / word, which was new to me and a couple of other Chinese native speakers who I also passed it by on your behalf as well... so all is good, as I also learned something new myself - great!).

I hope my comments were some use to you (and that you have found the answers you were looking for in regards to the meaning of the Chinese IDNs you registered)?
Please do let me know if you think I was unclear or if you think I can still help more with explanation on the meanings of your new IDNs in some way - ok?)

Thanks all and cheers once again, Andrew

tgtbtu2
22nd May 2007, 03:48 PM
My earlier post was in support of what I saw was a fair question for someone to ask (namely the meaning of some IDN names) - so please understand that I thought that your question was a legitimate one to ask.

It was a legitimate quistion to ask- you are the only one who decides what is fair and what is not-listen to your gut and always do a right thing! And don't listen to anybody.
I am very gratefull that you helped me; I feel obliged to you and hope to pay you back in kind someday.

Asiaplay
22nd May 2007, 04:12 PM
tgtbtu2,

Thanks for your reply... I am glad that I did manage to answer your question.

I also hope those IDNs work well for you, cheers, Asiaplay.

mulligan
22nd May 2007, 05:00 PM
What racism, buddy? I can be pretty rude too; don't tempt me.
All those above are wrong reasons. If memebrs are not going to help each other-within reason-then this is not a place to be. It will simply have no credibility and all that our "senior members" (and junior ones too)would be saying, would be just perceived as marketing, self-promotion and, sometimes even misleading crap.
You are free to leave at any time you wish .. nobody will beg you to stay

You can be sensitive all you want. But get this: I don't like to be called names for nothing. So, here is a warning- t g t b t u 2 is my official business name; I was granted by the State of New York the authority to do business as "t g t b t u 2 " as "assumed name" (this is a form of legal entity in US). So, next time somebody call me something (like "t g t b t u 2 is ....") , make sure it's not defamatory-or, if you live in US, you may be legally liable and don't think you can hide behind a nic.
If some have doubts as to what is defamatory and what is not in US, try to google it. If you never been through litigation (I have), I can assure you, it may be very costly.

Moderators, take note- this is a public notice and I will take a screenshot of this .
I call upon all to be civic and not assume that some are more equal than others.
I doubt you will get any help or information on this or any forum with your attitude.
To be honest I wouldn't even sell a domain to you. You will find most of the long term members here are more than willing to help people out or offer advice but you ... well I wouldn't expect too much help ...

In fact, rather than possibly have to deal with you and your 'lawyers' in the future I would delete your account here if I was the forum owner

tgtbtu2
22nd May 2007, 05:27 PM

I doubt you will get any help or information on this or any forum with your attitude.
To be honest I wouldn't even sell a domain to you. You will find most of the long term members here are more than willing to help people out or offer advice but you ... well I wouldn't expect too much help ...

In fact, rather than possibly have to deal with you and your 'lawyers' in the future I would delete your account here if I was the forum owner

Chill out, Citizen... I never asked you (and I will never ask you) to sell anything to me. I don't buy on aftermarket.

Chill out, Citizen... I never asked you (and I will never ask you) to sell anything to me. I don't buy on aftermarket. I started to register idns in 2002- I have more than I need.

blastfromthepast
22nd May 2007, 07:56 PM
Well, well.