PDA

View Full Version : Any sign of Japanese auto-update for IE7?

Clotho
4th June 2007, 07:20 AM
I have been going back and looking at previous comments made about the timing of the AU for Japan. On the IE7 blog I have made note of comments like 6 months and Spring. 6 months would have been May 02/07. Spring ends June 20 Summer starts June 21.

Have any of our Japan residents seen any indication of the AU for IE7 there? Has anyone heard anything else with regards to this?

How about other countries? Which ones have not seen the AU yet?

hanidn
4th June 2007, 07:40 AM
not yet in korea

gee, m.$. takes so long for the final shot. :)

Clotho
4th June 2007, 07:59 AM
I found a reference that apparently states that IE7 AU for China Japan and Korea has been moved to Q3.

www.microsoft.com/japan/technet/updatemanagement/windowsupdate/ie7announcement.mspx

Unfortunately my Japanese isn't nearly good enough to read this and the Google translation is of no help. Would any of our Japanese speakers be willing to translate this for us? Or at least verify if this is correct?

bwhhisc
4th June 2007, 12:02 PM
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2007/05/16/follow-up-to-internet-explorer-may-2007-security-update.aspx

there is a comment here to same, with response by Japanese that looks like Q3.

QUOTE: IETeam does NOT like CJK (China, Japan, Korea)-DBCS (Double Byte Chanacter Set) language.

I'm from Japan ; ENDQUOTE

Prodigy
4th June 2007, 12:20 PM
Great news... only another 1-3 more months for the planned release of Japanese, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Korean and Hebrew.

Rubber Duck
4th June 2007, 01:37 PM
Characteristically new comments to the post are disabled.

Microsoft resent being criticized for lying to people.

I don't think IE7 will ever work properly in XP. I think it was an expediency to try to fend off Firefox. Ironically, updating to IE7 is the one thing that not only convinces people of the merit in moving to Firefox but actually forces them to take that course of Action. Way to go Bill! Not you Bill, the other tosser!

markits
4th June 2007, 02:53 PM
IE7 works fine for me with my xp system.

Drewbert
4th June 2007, 09:29 PM
Way to go Bill! Not you Bill, the other tosser!

Both Bill's are tossers?

Rubber Duck
4th June 2007, 09:37 PM
Both Bill's are tossers?

Colloquialism. Yes, makes no grammatical sense!

alpha
3rd July 2007, 12:35 PM
I found a reference that apparently states that IE7 AU for China Japan and Korea has been moved to Q3.

www.microsoft.com/japan/technet/updatemanagement/windowsupdate/ie7announcement.mspx

Unfortunately my Japanese isn't nearly good enough to read this and the Google translation is of no help. Would any of our Japanese speakers be willing to translate this for us? Or at least verify if this is correct?

i just stumbled upon this page, and it reminded this of this thread.

2007 年第 3 四半期 (2007 年 7 月 - 9 月)

this i read as Q3 July-September

so, any time now then :p

Rubber Duck
3rd July 2007, 02:13 PM

Yes, but as this has been moved almost half a dozen times already, statistically at least a further move is equally as likely, if not more so. It is all down to one's credibility rating at the end of the day and M$ don't have one! This is probably their last chance to save the company from terminal decline, but don't expect that to influence them.

rhys
3rd July 2007, 03:41 PM
Yep it's moved to 3rd quarter according to the article - July, Aug, or Sep.

Drewbert
3rd July 2007, 11:44 PM
I've seen a bump in my Chinese traffic but that's due to plug-in's starting to work correctly, rather than IE7 AU, I think.

bwhhisc
4th July 2007, 12:02 AM
I've seen a bump in my Chinese traffic but that's due to plug-in's starting to work correctly, rather than IE7 AU, I think.

I am also getting quite a bit more Chinese traffic, also a few clicks ranging from .02 to .15.
Seeing some Chinese language ads served up by namedrive as well.

tee1
28th September 2007, 02:48 PM
update anyone,

thats the way I read it and I think September is about over. Did it get released and I missed it :) or are we still waiting.

tee1

Prodigy
28th September 2007, 02:58 PM
日本語、韓国語、簡体字中国語、繁体字中国語、ヘブライ語 2008 年以降 (詳細な予定日は後日公開)

Japanese, Korean, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Hebrew: 2008 (Details to be released at a specified date)

tee1
28th September 2007, 03:02 PM
日本語、韓国語、簡体字中国語、繁体字中国語、ヘブライ語 2008 年以降 (詳細な予定日は後日公開)

Japanese, Korean, Chinese (simplified and traditional), Hebrew: 2008 (Details to be released at a specified date)

thanks Chinastar,
I was fairly confident that is wasn't released yet, but I did have my hopes up for a little more in the way of a release date, "at a specified date" come on MS that could be anytime from now, next week or next year. I guess we should be use to that by now.

oh well.
tee1

Rubber Duck
28th September 2007, 03:30 PM
Just about shows that any commitment from MS is worthless.

Anyone tell me why we still buy their bloatware?

touchring
28th September 2007, 04:07 PM
Just about shows that any commitment from MS is worthless.

Anyone tell me why we still buy their bloatware?

I've already given up on their auto update. They probably want people to think that it is necessary to upgrade to Vista to get IE7.

blastfromthepast
28th September 2007, 04:37 PM
I've already given up on their auto update. They probably want people to think that it is necessary to upgrade to Vista to get IE7.

More racism from Miscrosoft? A critical autoupdate for Europe. None for Asia.

touchring
28th September 2007, 04:47 PM
More racism from Miscrosoft? A critical autoupdate for Europe. None for Asia.

No, not racism, but laziness, lazy because firefox poses no threat yet in asia.

blastfromthepast
28th September 2007, 04:54 PM
But IE6 is a security threat. This is a racist information war against Asia by Western imperialist companies!

Rubber Duck
28th September 2007, 05:39 PM
You Talked.

We Listened.

Then We Lied To You.

blastfromthepast
29th September 2007, 07:30 AM
You Talked.

We Listened.

Then We Lied To You.

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/3747/enzy3.jpg

Rubber Duck
29th September 2007, 08:38 AM
Well one day soon Microsoft will learn as GM and Ford did, that if you are don't address the markets with products it needs then you get completely screwed!

touchring
29th September 2007, 08:52 AM
Well one day soon Microsoft will learn as GM and Ford did, that if you are don't address the markets with products it needs then you get completely screwed!

The game has changed from the Japanese days of 90s, you don't get screwed, you just get bought over.

http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2007/09/28/3com/index.html

3Com: I think I'm turning Chinese

Is there any symbolism to be mined in the transformation of 3Com from Silicon Valley flag bearer to just another piece of private equity meat carved up with the help of an up-and-coming Chinese firm? Not really. For all intents and purposes, 3Com already is a Chinese company. Of the 6,200 employees on the payroll in July, reports the Journal, 5,000 were in Asia "and nearly all of them in China."

Rubber Duck
29th September 2007, 08:59 AM
Well, here is a measure of Microsoft's problem. Basically, people just don't like dysfunctional bloatware!

http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/09/28/vista-rants/

I linked this from the BBC News page incidentally.

rhys
2nd October 2007, 12:34 AM
Ok, sorry guys, more bad news on IE7 auto-update for Japan. Postponed again to some indeterminate time in 2008. I'll see what else I can find out.

http://kannkokugo38.blog104.fc2.com/blog-entry-1347.html

http://www.microsoft.com/japan/technet/updatemanagement/windowsupdate/ie7announcement.mspx

Drewbert
2nd October 2007, 01:00 AM
and Chinese and Korean and Hebrew.

I wonder what the delay is for Hebrew? RTL issues?

burnsinternet
2nd October 2007, 02:43 AM
We could never count on MS for help, anyway. IDN has been available all this century. Widespread browser support is still not available. The press seems to be told that IDN does not exist.

Just another day in paradise....

Seriously, this will make the victory sweeter. What we go through to find and keep these domains should make this group more cohesive some day. There will be a point when we will know who we can trust and who should be price-gouged. Is price-fixing illegal in domainer land?

bwhhisc
2nd October 2007, 02:52 AM
Traffic for Japanese keeps trickling up. Maybe if IDNs start appearing in advertising people will figure out that if
you put idn.com into the "google search" or "web search" box on their IE6 in yahoo, google or whatever they can
get those IDN sites to list on page one and then click on them from there. On a positive note, Russian IDN traffic
is really picking noticably every month as well. Anyone else seeing the same?

burnsinternet
2nd October 2007, 03:10 AM
My Russian traffic has always been the bulk of my PPC earnings. I must admit that my Russian IDN revenue for September 2007 is about 150% of August 2007 Russian IDN revenue and 175% of Russian IDN revenue in May 2007.

I didn't notice that until you mentioned Russian. I was too jazzed about my Japanese numbers!

Rubber Duck
2nd October 2007, 05:07 AM
Russian remains strong. That must be Firefox spreading East beyond the statistics boundary.

I had one top Japanese Generic fly this month. Interesting thing a lot of the Geographic combos for the same term also joined the party. By geographic, we are talking cities and prefectures without the formal endings.

Drewbert
2nd October 2007, 05:11 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/29/windows_update_flap/

Windows XP repair disk kills automatic updates

Rubber Duck
2nd October 2007, 05:19 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/29/windows_update_flap/

Windows XP repair disk kills automatic updates

Seems as though that has been dealt with. They have forced updates where the Updates blocked future updates.

This might in part explain delays with AU.

burnsinternet
2nd October 2007, 05:32 AM
Never post your hopes on MS behavior. They will break your heart every time.