PDA

View Full Version : February 2006 New Rules For Sale Threads Please Read

Olney
27th February 2006, 09:48 AM
I have to admit I saw this on DNF & it made sense to me.
From Now on there will be 3 kinds of Domain offers.

Please only list Domains for Sale with a Price here.
If you'd like people to make offers put it in the appraisal forum & state offers are accepted.

Threads that have

I got SITE.com in Japanese post offers will be moved to the appraisal forum.

If you want people to bid on your Domain please put it in the IDN Auction Forum.

If you don't have any idea of what it's worth or what you want for it please put it up for appraisal.

Olney
2nd April 2006, 12:44 PM
Noticed that what I wrote could be interpreted wrong.
Sale threads must have at least minimum
You can ask for offers but please put a base to it
Asking for minimum mid X,XXX for example.

bramiozo
2nd April 2006, 02:09 PM
Noticed that what I wrote could be interpreted wrong.
Sale threads must have at least minimum
You can ask for offers but please put a base to it
Asking for minimum mid X,XXX for example.

How about an absolute minimum to protect the level of pricing ?

sarcle
2nd April 2006, 02:19 PM
How about an absolute minimum to protect the level of pricing ?

Are we talking about price fixing?

Most state statutes provide that fixing the price (http://law.freeadvice.com/resources/gov_material/ftc_guide_to_antitrust-laws_illegal_business_practices.htm) of a product or service in agreement with another individual or business is illegal. The general rule provides that a vendor may not in combination with another vendor agree to set a certain price thereby creating a fixed price (http://law.freeadvice.com/resources/gov_material/ftc_guide_to_antitrust-laws-faqs.htm) within a certain market.

For example, where competitors agree to sell their goods or services at a specified price, minimum price or maximum price and they receive profits from such an agreement, they are in violation of price fixing.

http://business-law.freeadvice.com/trade_regulation/price_fixing.htm

blastfromthepast
2nd April 2006, 02:30 PM
Are we talking about price fixing?

Under U.S. law, price fixing is only illegal if it is intentional and comes about via communication and specific agreement between firms. It is not illegal for a firm to copy the price movements of a de facto market leader (called price leadership). This has frequently been seen to be the case in the markets for breakfast cereals and cigarettes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

sarcle
2nd April 2006, 02:31 PM
Except that this is international. In many countries price fixing is legal. I suspect it happends in Japan a lot.

It only matters in what state you conduct business from not to where.

Under U.S. law, price fixing is only illegal if it is intentional and comes about via communication and specific agreement between firms. It is not illegal for a firm to copy the price movements of a de facto market leader (called price leadership). This has frequently been seen to be the case in the markets for breakfast cereals and cigarettes.

I'm sorry but that example is "price leadership". Agreeing to set a minimum price to sell your product is price fixing.

bramiozo
2nd April 2006, 02:46 PM
The point is, the absurdly low prices being asked by people who have just stepped in the game are not doing anything besides destroying any credibility we had gained over the past months, we are not selling lego.

Instead of relying on the courtesy of others, which seems more of wishfull thinking when I look at the current sales, I would suggest to enforce (to some extent) a level of conduct that is appropriate for a market that is still in it's infancy.
At least that is met by introducing rules in general but I don't believe pricing should be omitted from the regulations.

There are dozen's of idn-owners on the practically empty market place screaming to sell there names for rockbottom prices as if they were desperate in releasing them...
it just seems appropriate to step up and say; sell less for more or get moving.

Olney
2nd April 2006, 03:01 PM
Truthfully guys
The longer I stay in Japan speaking Japanese the worse my English becomes (Yes I'm 100% American) it just happens.
Can someone sum this up?
Is putting a minimum about for offers bad?
Is that price fixing?

sarcle
2nd April 2006, 03:07 PM
The point is, the absurdly low prices being asked by people who have just stepped in the game are not doing anything besides destroying any credibility we had gained over the past months, we are not selling lego.

Instead of relying on the courtesy of others, which seems more of wishfull thinking when I look at the current sales, I would suggest to enforce (to some extent) a level of conduct that is appropriate for a market that is still in it's infancy.
At least that is met by introducing rules in general but I don't believe pricing should be omitted from the regulations.

There are dozen's of idn-owners on the practically empty market place screaming to sell there names for rockbottom prices as if they were desperate in releasing them...
it just seems appropriate to step up and say; sell less for more or get moving.

Your right Bram. I agree.

But this market is only following the law of supply and demand. Without regular end user purchases the demand is low therefore causing lower prices.

How do we raise demand? Getting traffic to our domains for one. Maybe a very public article on how Microsoft is currently limiting/restricting ecommerce around the world by not releasing a browser that supports native tongue. Discussing the revenue lost globally by website owners from people not being able to directly go to their favorite websites. Would be one suggestion.

Currently, we just have to look at it as getting a good deal until then. Once the traffic/revenue goes up, the prices of these domains will have to follow.

rhys
2nd April 2006, 03:24 PM
Your right Bram. I agree.

But this market is only following the law of supply and demand. Without regular end user purchases the demand is low therefore causing lower prices.

How do we raise demand? Getting traffic to our domains for one. Maybe a very public article on how Microsoft is currently limiting/restricting ecommerce around the world by not releasing a browser that supports native tongue. Discussing the revenue lost globally by website owners from people not being able to directly go to their favorite websites. Would be one suggestion.

Currently, we just have to look at it as getting a good deal until then. Once the traffic/revenue goes up, the prices of these domains will have to follow.

I agree that this must be left up to law of supply and demand. There is stuff, I will still sell along the way and hopefully we will see more money coming into the market.

Traffic would help but obviously won't happen for a while. That is why I recommended trying to get articles put into the Business 2.0, Wired, NYTimes, and WSJournal, etc about the upcoming IDN revolution (slamming MSFT is one way but i don't think it really helps get investors interested) but I felt very low enthusiasm on the forum for doing something pragmatic like this. Oh well, I guess I'll work on it by myself.

sarcle
2nd April 2006, 03:30 PM
Traffic would help but obviously won't happen for a while. That is why I recommended trying to get articles put into the Business 2.0, Wired, NYTimes, and WSJournal, etc about the upcoming IDN revolution (slamming MSFT is one way but i don't think it really helps get investors interested) but I felt very low enthusiasm on the forum for doing something pragmatic like this. Oh well, I guess I'll work on it by myself.

Yes, another is revenue providers. Getting these parking sites up to date. Finding out where they are and how long it will be. Staying on top of them. Getting Japanese, Chinese, Russian affilate programs written in english so that english speaking idn owners can sign up for their services is another.

There are lots of things we can and should be doing to speed this process up.

bramiozo
2nd April 2006, 03:37 PM
I was planning to keep my names on ice anyhow but it's frustrating I can't sell anything for a reasonable price because people are celling city-names (population +- 1 mill) for less then $200, what, is their currency so messed up they can live from that for a whole month ? Well, I CAN'T .

They jumped on the bandwagon for a cheap thrill, it's waiting for the moment they catch another ride.

Olney
2nd April 2006, 03:40 PM
I hate to break this up but this wasn't exactly supposed to be a discussion thread....:)
It's a forum Rules sticky guys...

bramiozo
2nd April 2006, 03:40 PM
A lot of idn'ers have sites related to IDN, a start would be to use relevant idn's to promote these sites.

edit: sorry, didn't see your post :)

dnnames
12th March 2007, 10:52 AM
Yes its quite disappointing and sad to see people simply dumping their names for $10 or even under registration fee. I have registered hundreds of names at the start of april and it is hard to renew them all now that the renewal day has come. I was thinking of selling 10% of them, but not at the poor prices that is today. I guess some people think it is worth it to make a quick $3 per name. :D

seamo
12th March 2007, 11:02 AM
Yes its quite disappointing and sad to see people simply dumping their names for $10 or even under registration fee. I have registered hundreds of names at the start of april and it is hard to renew them all now that the renewal day has come. I was thinking of selling 10% of them, but not at the poor prices that is today. I guess some people think it is worth it to make a quick $3 per name. :D
Don't be too sad.

Simple laws of supply and demand at work.

The bright side is when the ranks of IDN'ers are swollen 10x what they are today the domains you are picking up for $10 will be worth $100, $1,000 or even more.

Buyers market at the moment - but it won't last forever :)

alpha
12th March 2007, 12:10 PM
...but it won't last forever :)

bah!

long live the buyers market, especially transacted in dollars

dnnames
13th March 2007, 11:15 AM
Don't be too sad.

Simple laws of supply and demand at work.

The bright side is when the ranks of IDN'ers are swollen 10x what they are today the domains you are picking up for $10 will be worth $100, $1,000 or even more.

Buyers market at the moment - but it won't last forever :)
Baa thing is I have to become one of those $10 a name people soon, because i cannot renew them all! :(

Rubber Duck
13th March 2007, 12:37 PM
Baa thing is I have to become one of those $10 a name people soon, because i cannot renew them all! :(

At the end of a marathon, you either accept that you are exhausted and pull up, or you dig deep and go for glory.

Don't look at me. I am not going to tell you what to do!