PDA

View Full Version : more from the japanese blogosphere

rhys
19th June 2007, 11:34 PM
http://igara.exblog.jp/6309936

The other day, with the report from the mass media, we have experienced a sudden increase related to inquiries about Japanese domain names.

Japanese domain names are as the name suggests, domain names written in Japanese. For example in our company's case, domains like:
http://www.ホームページ制作.com/
can be registered.

Currently, despite being in test phase, with support for the standard by the new browser IE7, has increased attention on it (japanese domain names).

use link to see the whole article (June 14 2007)

blastfromthepast
19th June 2007, 11:40 PM
I thought the test phase was over?

IDNCowboy
19th June 2007, 11:44 PM
That guy sure has a nice domain name. I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned anything earlier.

rhys
20th June 2007, 03:22 AM
I thought the test phase was over?

That is what I thought as well. Can someone confirm?

Olney
20th June 2007, 04:12 AM
Just think they said they are getting inquiries...

Imagine a smart buyer phrasing the pitch like..

"I know IDNs are still in the testing phase but I'd like to see if you are interested in selling."

It would seem pretty silly for the Japanese registries (JPRS) to start pushing & expanding contracts & compatibility for a test.

rhys
20th June 2007, 04:31 AM
but are IDNs still technically in test phase?

Drewbert
20th June 2007, 06:57 AM
I can't recall anyone officially announcing an end to the test phase.

Someone ask ICANN!

Clotho
20th June 2007, 09:07 AM
The test phase ended when the domains in the test bed were converted from RACE encoding to Punycode. This is also the same time that regular renewal fees kicked in.

http://www.icann.org/minutes/prelim-report-18feb04.htm

Scroll down to Item 3.

"Whereas, ICANN has authorized PIR (.org Registry) and VeriSign (.com and .net Registries) to proceed with Internationalized Domain Name (IDN) implementations in accordance with the published IDN Guidelines.

Whereas, both registries have pre-existing IDN registrations associated with the VeriSign IDN testbed launched in 2000."

I believe this is the point where the testbed was ended. They didn't come out and say 'The testbed is over' they just made the domains in it fully legitimate.

markits
20th June 2007, 05:09 PM
Awesome domains
名古屋市.com
名古屋市.net

Drewbert
20th June 2007, 06:31 PM
>They didn't come out and say 'The testbed is over' they just made the domains in it
>fully legitimate.

Cool.

IDNCowboy
20th June 2007, 06:35 PM
well we are still waiting on dname
I am now hearing "NS Records" again

Clotho
20th June 2007, 09:23 PM
well we are still waiting on dname
I am now hearing "NS Records" again

DName isn't the only solution that meets our needs. (Indeed, the needs of all Internet users.)

As long as Verisign has control of the corresponding transliteration for .com and .net in each script we will be fine.

From: http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-idn-wg/docJeP0dvZpl0.doc

4.1.7b. Agreement that applications for IDN gTLDs may face challenges/objections, for instance based on claims of intellectual property rights (IPR).

4.1.7c. Agreement that priority rights for new domain names do not derive from existing domain name strings as such, but may, for instance, derive from established IPR.

This would indicate that Verisign will have adequate tools to be able to defend their claim on conflicting transliterations of .com and .net.

Verisign has already indicated their desire to map existing .com/.net names to their transliteration with their DName proposal. As long as they have control of these transliterations, Verisign can do this internally if needed.

I am more concerned about the change in management at Verisign at this point. http://www.verisign.com/press_releases/pr/page_042136.html
I hope that the new CEO understands with clarity, the imperative need for continuity in the .com/.net namespace and its transliterations.

jacksonm
20th June 2007, 09:28 PM
Transliterations, aka aliases, have to be implemented in the root, e.g. on an equal level to .com, not underneath .com. Verisign only controls the space underneath .com.

Clotho
20th June 2007, 09:35 PM
Transliterations, aka aliases, have to be implemented in the root, e.g. on an equal level to .com, not underneath .com. Verisign only controls the space underneath .com.

They also possess the Intellectual Property that is ‘.com and .net’. If the ownership of future transliterations will be based upon IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) who do you think is going to own/control them?

jacksonm
20th June 2007, 10:04 PM
They also possess the Intellectual Property that is ‘.com and .net’. If the ownership of future transliterations will be based upon IPR (Intellectual Property Rights) who do you think is going to own/control them?

The point was only that Verisign can not start deploying transliterations on their own, neither could a ccTLD. It is technically impossible. For this, they need entries in the root, which they do not control. Therefore, ICANN is the one who needs to enter and maintain each and every one of these transliterations.

Clotho
21st June 2007, 12:03 AM
Ok, Yes I agree. This only means it will take longer as transliterations for each script will have to be deliberated upon. Still, all roads lead to Rome. Even if the road that ICANN takes isn’t the most direct one.