PDA

View Full Version : ☎ TELEPHONE related IDNs

IDNclub
28th February 2006, 11:18 PM
☎.com BLACK TELEPHONE

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/3676/tellct2nz.jpg.net TELEPHONE LOCATION SIGN

idnowner
28th February 2006, 11:54 PM
☎.com BLACK TELEPHONE

http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/3676/tellct2nz.jpg.net TELEPHONE LOCATION SIGN

I like the black telephone! Although, I realize some people in this forum are anti-dingbats. Seems they really have a problem with them, for whatever reason. Anyway, the phone location one is good too - but it's a dot net - I happen to have the dot-com on that one.

Olney
1st March 2006, 12:15 AM
I don't think any of us are anti DingBat.
I believe there is value especially in the single charactere ones.
When you add www.#word.com & just one gets sold plan for the forum to get flooded with these for appraisals.

I'm just trying to keep the quality of domains here high.

These two are really good...

idnowner
1st March 2006, 12:51 AM
I don't think any of us are anti DingBat.
I believe there is value especially in the single charactere ones.
When you add www.#word.com & just one gets sold plan for the forum to get flooded with these for appraisals.

I'm just trying to keep the quality of domains here high.

These two are really good...

Olney - I was specifically thinking of another person in the forum, who, I believe, is anti-dingbat - but lets not get into that argument. I also understand the other side - those who feel IDNs should be strictly for languages, and not symbols, but since symbols are "real" dot-com Internet addresses, you've got to wonder how they can or will be used commercially.

Also, I understand, from previous posts, that there may be some problems with these domains - whether they are/or will be valid or not, if they'll get deleted or revoked - I have no idea. As of now, they appear to be just as valid as any other IDN, but I would be interested to hear about any new news, regarding problems with special-character domains.

I agree - that, if these domains have any value at all, the single-character ones would be the most desirable. I only own 10, and they are all single-character domains.

I think it will be interesting to see how single-character-plus-single-word domains (like FLORIDA+SUN-CHARACTER.com) will be handled by the search engines - if they get preferred treatment, or if they will be kept out of search engine results all together.

While IDNs (in the various languages) are likely good bets (at least for good key words), I think dingbats would be more of a long shot. Still, I think some of the single character dingbats are cool!

jose
1st March 2006, 04:30 AM
I own two single charaters (A "dot" and "play") and I found them using insert symbol in MSWord. My question is: how to find all DingBats? I don't know how he found those nice phone ones.

thegenius1
1st March 2006, 05:39 AM
Yeah i just got 1 of thesee Travel+sun/char.com , i thought they looked cool and said what the heck, but i have to agree single characters may end up on the million dollar list if they arent al ruled out, I mean if you see that phones symbol.com on a search engine you will be clicking out of curiosity, but you know what they say " A picture is worth a Thousand words " and a " Video is worth a Million " im into inventions so maybe i will patent the intelectual property of video domains, i can invision them now they will Scroll like LED tickers...

IDNclub
1st March 2006, 10:37 AM
Yeah i just got 1 of thesee Travel+sun/char.com , i thought they looked cool and said what the heck, but i have to agree single characters may end up on the million dollar list if they arent al ruled out, I mean if you see that phones symbol.com on a search engine you will be clicking out of curiosity, but you know what they say " A picture is worth a Thousand words " and a " Video is worth a Million " im into inventions so maybe i will patent the intelectual property of video domains, i can invision them now they will Scroll like LED tickers...

Very well-spoken & relevantly (http://tw.dictionary.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&p=relevantly) words for the Dingbats !

I'm loving it !

blastfromthepast
1st March 2006, 12:36 PM
http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1957/denwa5el.jpg

IDNer
2nd March 2006, 02:09 AM
I like the black telephone! Although, I realize some people in this forum are anti-dingbats. Seems they really have a problem with them, for whatever reason. Anyway, the phone location one is good too - but it's a dot net - I happen to have the dot-com on that one.

I think that both .com and .net in Dingbat domains are okay (feel like they are the King and Queen in the world), as it's only with extension different -
There have no other extension support the dingbat at moment, so - if you can not get the $.com (or the $.com went to the end user) then $.net still worth a lot in domain field ! isn't it ?

jose
2nd March 2006, 02:31 AM
I was the first (as far as I know) to post DingBats domains in here. I still love them. However, the new ICANN rules will outlaw them and the domains will be ruled out. Right? :mad:

So, what should we do? Sell them asap? Keep them till they come for them? Prey they wont approve the new rules? Any more info on this?

idnowner
2nd March 2006, 02:32 AM
There have no other extension support the dingbat at moment, so - if you can not get the $.com (or the $.com went to the end user) then $.net still worth a lot in domain field ! isn't it ?

At least for America, .coms are MUCH better than .nets. With a few exceptions, I only get .coms. As for dingbats, it is still unclear what value, if any, they will have.

IDNclub
2nd March 2006, 04:42 AM
I was the first (as far as I know) to post DingBats domains in here. I still love them. However, the new ICANN rules will outlaw them and the domains will be ruled out. Right? :mad:

So, what should we do? Sell them asap? Keep them till they come for them? Prey they wont approve the new rules? Any more info on this?

Could you please show me where the news from ? thanks !

touchring
2nd March 2006, 06:20 AM
Could you please show me where the news from ? thanks !

I'm checking with my private contact within Verisign, will let you guys know. I think it's 50:50 as to whether symbols will be barred in the future. In terms of facilitating Internet usage, they do not serve any real purpose...

blastfromthepast
2nd March 2006, 12:40 PM
They certainly do serve a purpose. As I showed, you can type the telephone symbol when typing in Japanese. That means it is the perfect, brandable, typeable, symbol.

touchring
2nd March 2006, 01:05 PM
They certainly do serve a purpose. As I showed, you can type the telephone symbol when typing in Japanese. That means it is the perfect, brandable, typeable, symbol.

That's interesting, but does every Japanese know how to do that? When i said symbols - i am referring to signs not found on the keyboard.

thegenius1
2nd March 2006, 01:18 PM
That's interesting, but does every Japanese know how to do that? When i said symbols - i am referring to signs not found on the keyboard.

I think the major factor here will be search enginge presence, Also im sure they could add what to type in somewhere in a Ad but the Search egine would be huge for something like that

blastfromthepast
2nd March 2006, 01:41 PM
You type おんせん 「ONSEN」 HOT SPRINGS, and choose ♨ or 温泉、
for でんわ 「DENWA 」TELEPHONE you can choose ☎ or 電話。
Japanese certainly know that ☎ is 電話, and typing でんわ is the loical way to get 電話, so why not ☎。

There are no CHINESE CHARACTERS on any keyboard. There are only phonetic signs, such as A B C, or KANA か き く け こ、so typing in Japanese involves 三 steps:

① Key in the ROMAN letters (or KANA if you have a KANA keyboard).
② Press [spacebar] and recieve a default CHARACTER 漢字. If you are not satisfied, press [space again], and choose from the CHARACTER/SYMBOL you want.
③ Press [return] to accept the selection.

The system remembers how often you choose which character, and presents it by default the next time.
So now, I've selected ☎ so many times, it comes up as the default when I type でんわ!

I just typed all of the above using a Japanese keyboard. Including the circled numbers, telephone, and hot springs sign.

That's why many people have ☎ on their business cards.