PDA

View Full Version : Baidu busy at work on japanese domains

jacksonm
8th July 2007, 08:07 PM
I moved this off of namedrive and started watching the logfile. It's been getting lots of hits per hour from Baidu's spider_jp.

122.152.128.15 xn--tcka4eb5864bve5b.jp - [08/Jul/2007:21:35:07 +0200] "GET /serve.php?lg=jp&dn=xn--tcka4eb5864bve5b.jp&ps=0b3aa8e37a095505949028a8a2839eef&tk=g_dH6ZdvES8KEwja2KStu_qMAhUVr4AKHfpVw0kQAhgAIAAw6I6nDg&aq=ã¿ã¬ã³ãç»å HTTP/1.1" 404 345 "-" "Baiduspider+(+http://www.baidu.com/search/spider_jp.html)"
122.152.128.15 xn--tcka4eb5864bve5b.jp - [08/Jul/2007:21:37:07 +0200] "GET /serve.php?lg=jp&dn=xn--tcka4eb5864bve5b.jp&ps=ba6683b498c53ab82ca0d8c9b525e677&tk=rvuYpDhgaFEKEwjVkJz10fuMAhUlK1gKHVtlXZ8QAhgAIAAw-NaCAg&aq=Digital+Cameras HTTP/1.1" 404 345 "-" "Baiduspider+(+http://www.baidu.com/search/spider_jp.html)"
122.152.128.15 xn--tcka4eb5864bve5b.jp - [08/Jul/2007:21:39:07 +0200] "GET /serve.php?lg=jp&dn=xn--tcka4eb5864bve5b.jp&ps=d686f7e7e68c2d7713b521531eb23212&tk=m7KfwUidUrUKEwi5odyploGNAhUcvFgKHd1RnwQQAhgAIAAwtMKUKQ&aq=Digital+Cameras HTTP/1.1" 404 345 "-" "Baiduspider+(+http://www.baidu.com/search/spider_jp.html)"
122.152.128.15 xn--tcka4eb5864bve5b.jp - [08/Jul/2007:21:41:07 +0200] "GET /serve.php?lg=jp&dn=xn--tcka4eb5864bve5b.jp&ps=d839c8249452958b8b56d1ecff53118b&tk=ZFijRAmQte0KEwj405DczoCNAhUheVgKHVN0OAwQAhgAIAAw1KPSAQ&aq=albanian+TV HTTP/1.1" 404 345 "-" "Baiduspider+(+http://www.baidu.com/search/spider_jp.html)"
122.152.128.15 xn--tcka4eb5864bve5b.jp - [08/Jul/2007:21:43:07 +0200] "GET /serve.php?lg=jp&dn=xn--tcka4eb5864bve5b.jp&ps=787d8d306a9cc92fd0fecb5dd1d4aa36&tk=crnxG5bMI8AKEwij-Ye9qvCMAhUBX1gKHblAR_sQAhgAIAAwpPWoEA&aq=ç°ä¸¸éº»ç´ç»å HTTP/1.1" 404 345 "-" "Baiduspider+(+http://www.baidu.com/search/spider_jp.html)"

tee1
8th July 2007, 08:52 PM
hosted in Japan right, what about the other server :)
122.152.128.15 JP JAPAN

tee1

jacksonm
8th July 2007, 08:56 PM
hosted in Japan right, what about the other server :)
122.152.128.15 JP JAPAN

tee1

That IP is Baidu's. My webserver is in the Netherlands.

Another thing, the spider isn't hitting the same named .com domain at all - only the .jp

blastfromthepast
9th July 2007, 04:10 PM
But Baidu does not index it even though it crawls.

Asiaplay
10th July 2007, 02:49 AM
Jacksonm,

Interesting news... must be for Baidu's new Japanese Search Engine website
(which I am also very interested to see how performs - but suspect since they understand Asian text will do well)
... most interesting bit as you point out is that they are only looking at .jps (and ignoring .coms) - wow...

Be interested to hear more on this over the next two months.

Thanks & cheers - Asiaplay

PS: my guess is it also means they will be ignoring .nets, .biz etc. as well...

rhys
10th July 2007, 08:50 AM
Jacksonm,

(which I am also very interested to see how performs - but suspect since they understand Asian text will do well)
... most interesting bit as you point out is that they are only looking at .jps (and ignoring .coms) - wow...

Aren't they a Chinese search engine though? It will be interesting to watch their strategy to win the Japanese over but my guess is that they will struggle. Especially if they ignore .com/.net - even though my .jp portfolio side giggles with delight.

jacksonm
10th July 2007, 08:54 AM
Jacksonm,

Another point - this baidu japanese spider is only hitting my site between midnight and morning japan time. It's totally quiet during japan daytime.

blastfromthepast
10th July 2007, 12:09 PM
Another point - this baidu japanese spider is only hitting my site between midnight and morning japan time. It's totally quiet during japan daytime.

During daytime it analyses the results and clears them with the Directorate of Censorship.

Asiaplay
10th July 2007, 06:27 PM
During daytime it analyses the results and clears them with the Directorate of Censorship.

Haha - makes me crack up... too true... maybe for Japan they will not have that issue except for Daoyu Islands etc. lol (damn... imagine how fast they can grow without having to bother with that...!!!)

Of interest does anyone know who is helping them out in Japan - I am sure they must have a local partner there and in Europe?

Seems they really are following a support for .jp at this stage... which suggests a strong influential Japanese partner and Govenment approval in Japan perhaps...

Actually think the guy behind Baidu is very smart - few years USA training and he set up a search engine back in China which even the big two internationally can not touch... and in Japan... really bet their system is better tailored for Japanese script and add-on features for IDNs etc. than Yahoo will be.

Keep us posted Jacksonm - cheers, Asiaplay

PS: think it is time he set up Baido (competition for Sedo ;) )

Drewbert
10th July 2007, 06:51 PM

The signature of a well-behaved spider - visits during off-peak hours.

rhys
10th July 2007, 06:54 PM
Haha - makes me crack up... too true... maybe for Japan they will not have that issue except for Daoyu Islands etc. lol (damn... imagine how fast they can grow without having to bother with that...!!!)

Of interest does anyone know who is helping them out in Japan - I am sure they must have a local partner there and in Europe?

Seems they really are following a support for .jp at this stage... which suggests a strong influential Japanese partner and Govenment approval in Japan perhaps...

Actually think the guy behind Baidu is very smart - few years USA training and he set up a search engine back in China which even the big two internationally can not touch... and in Japan... really bet their system is better tailored for Japanese script and add-on features for IDNs etc. than Yahoo will be.

Keep us posted Jacksonm - cheers, Asiaplay

PS: think it is time he set up Baido (competition for Sedo ;) )

I think that psychologically the barrier of Japanese people using a Chinese search engine will be difficult. If they position themselves as a purely Japanese search engine through a strong Japanese partner they have a shot. But even then there will be the conspiracy theorists....

Asiaplay
11th July 2007, 01:20 AM
I think that psychologically the barrier of Japanese people using a Chinese search engine will be difficult. If they position themselves as a purely Japanese search engine through a strong Japanese partner they have a shot. But even then there will be the conspiracy theorists....

Agree is a point here... but the younger generation believes this less than the older - for example just saw the leading compact car brand in China is Honda... and I am sure Japanese are not, not buying products they see are made in China.
So although soccer matches can be controversial events - seems commercially the impact is a lot less on both sides.

So my guess, is that even though their is some credibility in your comment... that over time if they do a nice looking site, that is user friendly and adsense friendly, that they will succeed (i.e. that the impact of that is less than 10%).

Interesting additional point (but not one I am opening for debate as is point-less - just raising as an interest point for thoughts sake) - would Japanese prefer an Asian based good search engine over a USA based one (as seems that it will be this choice as much perhaps)?

It will be interesting to see over time - but will be happy who-ever puts any of my sites in number one position.

Cheers - Asiaplay

rhys
11th July 2007, 04:11 AM
I'd say that if they couldn't develop a japanese search engine, then they would rather use an American search engine, because sometimes they can be irrationally snooty. Just my hunch. Often Japanese fashion designers aren't even able to be recognized in their own country until they become famous in Paris or Milan or New York first.

I hear that many Japanese now are avoiding chinese food because of all the contamination problems China has. It's irrational, but this is the way Japan works. On the other hand, if a Korean company launched a search engine, the public may be open to it, given the recent Japanese embrace of Korean things.

touchring
11th July 2007, 04:46 AM
I'd say that if they couldn't develop a japanese search engine, then they would rather use an American search engine, because sometimes they can be irrationally snooty. Just my hunch. Often Japanese fashion designers aren't even able to be recognized in their own country until they become famous in Paris or Milan or New York first.

I hear that many Japanese now are avoiding chinese food because of all the contamination problems China has. It's irrational, but this is the way Japan works. On the other hand, if a Korean company launched a search engine, the public may be open to it, given the recent Japanese embrace of Korean things.

I don't think Baidu is serious on baidu.jp. More like a PR stunt.

Food from China is not clean until tested. The vegetables singapore imports from china is tested almost every batch. I heard there are rejects by container loads every week. They will have to lop off a few more heads from the food supply and control departments before things can get better.

Drewbert
11th July 2007, 05:18 AM
They certainly don't let anyone get away with the "I don't think anyone expected..." line there!