PDA

View Full Version : Restrictions on .cn charset?

Pete
11th July 2007, 03:02 PM
Hello,

I'm looking to register some unusual .cn domains; is there a specific info on what characters/scripts you are allowed to use?

For instance, things like ààà.cn or dingbats.cn don't seem possible.
It seems all I can use is either chinese chars mixed with latin numbers and dash.
Can anyone confirm or point to some info?

tx

blastfromthepast
11th July 2007, 03:07 PM
Only Chinese. Sorry no foreign languages. Have a nice day. ^_^

Pete
11th July 2007, 03:22 PM
Tanx for the info.
Is it the same with .jp ?

IDNCowboy
11th July 2007, 03:23 PM
Tanx for the info.
Is it the same with .jp ?
japanese only

Rubber Duck
11th July 2007, 04:58 PM
Sounds like they are doing some of the pratts a favour.

Registering ccTLDs in scripts that are not used in the relevant country has to be a recipe for disaster.

Pete
11th July 2007, 06:01 PM
You are certainly right.
But some words and acronyms are truly universal in their latin script form, no matter wath cctld you are in. No much of those left though.

Asiaplay
12th July 2007, 02:01 AM
Interesting question you have asked...

a) What can be registered?

I have noticed that China / .cn has accepted registrations in languages like German, Korean, French and Japanese characters (I have seen them working).
So unsure if this is widespread yet - but suspect if it isn't yet, it is just due to people have not had the brain to register them yet.

Therefore for .cn, I would say the limitations are "dingbats", Governmental Institute & Department names, hypen's at start or end & perhaps provincial and district IDNs.
In theory the following IDNs may be refused for registration - based on Hong Kong list (China was supposed to be following same list - so not sure what will happen to those that contradict these rules later, even if you can register them now):

(a) 1-character words; or
(b) generic top-level domains which include, but are not limited to, sponsored top-level domains; or
(c) full names or abbreviations of all local regions or districts; or
(d) 2-character country codes as defined in ISO 3166; or
(e) common surnames or family names;
(f) any other Domain Name included on the Reserve List.
and additionally, in the case of Chinese Domain Names, Domain Names which we consider to be:
(g) the Chinese translation of generic top level domains and sponsored top level domains;
(h) names of countries or regions that use Chinese Characters as their language;
(i) common technical terms related to domain names and related international name associations; or
(g) types and levels of schools and other educational institutions in Hong Kong.

This is what I understand - perhaps others can add to this.

2) Discussion on if different languages should be allowable for ccTLD

As a follow-up interest point I was told that China, Hong Kong and Taiwan use the same character system (i.e. have the same ability / list of characters which covers the ability to register names in different languages).
In theory they also meet and discuss things - but China never told Hong Kong it has allowed languages apart from Chinese and English yet (even though they have).

I learnt this after two IDNs I registered in Hong Kong - namely a Korean & a Japanese one were first accepted and then later I was called (asked if I knew they were not Chinese - that was polite) and then told they will be cancelled (as the characters were not English or Chinese).

I protested and disagree 100% and think that they should be allowing other languages.
My reasoning is as follows:-

a) Hong Kong is an international city and trading centre & deals with people using all languages.
b) I should be able to show people we are Hong Kong based & provide content and IDN names in the language used by our customers world-wide.
c) Why should .com or .nu be able to register all languages and ccTLDs be excluded from doing this.
d) Why are .cn and .tw allowing this and in Hong Kong we are disadvantaged as we can not do this?
e) The spirit of IDNs is the communication in a person's native language and this idea follows through for ccTLD as well as it does for gTLDs generally

The content of my e-mail to the HK registrar follows:-

It was good talking to you just now - as discussed I am very disappointed that the policy presently restricts other Asian languages from being registered (i.e. Korean & Japanese in this case).

To be honest I am also a little shocked at your present policy - as these languages are all allowed for .cn, .tw etc. (and I would have thought that .hk would be following similar policies to China & Taiwan as a Registrar). It seems a little unfair that our competitors in Taiwan and China can enjoy the use of these and we are disadvantaged in Hong Kong.

As discussed, since we are not allowed to hold these two domain names at present (and I need time to review what additional names we would like in Chinese instead) - please do refund the monies for these two domains to me (thank you).

Please note that as a Hong Kong based company we have interest in registering IDN domain names for several languages in addition to Chinese & English (e.g. German, Swedish, French, Spanish, Italian, Japanese & Korean).
Namely have a presence showing clearly we are a Hong Kong company (but in languages accessible to our customers world-wide).

As also discussed at the point you do accept IDN registrations for any of these character sets - please do let me know immediately (either via e-mail or by calling me on my mobile at +852 XXXXXXXX - thank you for your help).

Yours sincerely,

In addition I explained to them over the phone, that if my only option to show we have a Hong Kong / China base, was to do this using .cn - then this made the existence of the Hong Kong registrar & .hk totally redundant.

I also asked if this was an ICANN policy or a HKDNR policy (they told me ICANN allows and it was their present policy only).

Rubber Duck, I agree that there are issues and that ccTLD domains if they allow other languages need to follow the same rules as the ccTLD that is based in the country where that language is spoken daily follow (e.g. for German names, follow .de rules).
They will also need staff fluent in those languages.
I also believe that Hong Kong would be able to do this and maintain it so it was not a mess.

However from an information, location and business point of view, not allowing other languages I find as not fair or acceptable practice when other domain extensions allow this to be done (especially when international business is key to the country that the ccTLD is in).

I thought I would open this for discussion here, since it is relevant to the topic of this posting.

Cheers - Asiaplay

blastfromthepast
14th July 2007, 09:46 PM
Keep in mind that China also has recognized ethnic minorities, and for whatever reason, their writing systems have been neglected in .cn

Rubber Duck
14th July 2007, 09:51 PM
Keep in mind that China also has recognized ethnic minorities, and for whatever reason, their writing systems have been neglected in .cn

Most ethnic minorities use the Han Script. The use of other scripts is in reality fairly limited.

blastfromthepast
14th July 2007, 10:49 PM
Most ethnic minorities use the Han Script. The use of other scripts is in reality fairly limited.

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/6852/yiop7.jpg

Don't rush out to register now... this writing system is not available in the current standard Punycode!

Asiaplay
15th July 2007, 05:49 AM
Not one comment one ccTLDs should be able to offer other other UN languages / languages?
All think that China or Hong Kong or Taiwan should only be offering only Chinese and English or Japan only Japanese and English (as wow - what other languages in the world are there that someone based in China would want to use - all international business is done in English only ;) ) - no comments?

Agree - in the spirit of IDNs those scripts should exist (just that in a lot of locations they can not even be typed in full, let alone does someone have a PC who is fluent in those dialects in several cases) - but I am also sure this is true of the 1000's of languages out there and will take time.
But definitely - at some point they should be added to .cn (for their cultural basis, more so than commercial).

Cheers - Asiaplay

PS: reminds me of that embarrassing advert IBM aired here on tv a few years ago - some USA Chinese kid acting as a village kid in China and saying - "We have no schools, the internet world and my IBM computer have enriched my life and I can now get an education at last (was the general meaning - to be honest can not quote all words used)" - the Point missed of course is that small remote villages do have schools, but no power to run a light bulb, let alone an IBM computer even if it is free) - but maybe one day... guess explains in part why IBM got out of PC market - lol :)