PDA

View Full Version : What script to use for .jp ?

Pete
13th July 2007, 10:25 PM
Hello,

I'm registering a couple of .jp, but I'm not sure what script to use.
Seems there are kanji romaji kana hiragana.
Is there one that's more appropriate in Japan, or do they mix them according to meaning?
I searched the forum a bit but didn't find much.

gammascalper
13th July 2007, 10:47 PM
Every Japanese word can be phonectically written in Kana, but you'll have to dig a bit to see what form is most popular, using SERP with quotes, overture, and so on.

The Cliff notes lowdown is that Katakana is often used for newer words borrowed from other languages. Newer doesn't mean less popular.

Kanji and Hiragana are sometimes mixed together in single words. For instance, you'll see many examples of kanji with an お in front that makes the term more respectful.

Don't think you want romaji -- that's Japanese written as it sounds in ASCII.

Good luck hunting!

blastfromthepast
13th July 2007, 10:59 PM
Is there one that's more appropriate in Japan, or do they mix them according to meaning?

According to fashion.

Pete
13th July 2007, 11:27 PM
Ok tanx.
I'll most likely suck at guessing, so I'll limit my intake accordingly ;)

rhys
14th July 2007, 12:00 AM
Read the english wikipedia article on the japanese writing system to understand it. Basically, I don't think in terms of kanji, hiragana, or katakana - I just see it as one writing system with lots of exceptions and conventions. In these matters let overture be your guide.

One caution if you do find a high overture katakana word that isn't a transliteration from a foreign language - type it into Yahoo.co.jp and see what comes up. Could very well be a trademark.

Happy hunting. I've been going a little crazy lately. Yesterday went on a binge and registered 50 .jp

IDNCowboy
14th July 2007, 12:03 AM
Read the english wikipedia article on the japanese writing system to understand it. Basically, I don't think in terms of kanji, hiragana, or katakana - I just see it as one writing system with lots of exceptions and conventions. In these matters let overture be your guide.

One caution if you do find a high overture katakana word that isn't a transliteration from a foreign language - type it into Yahoo.co.jp and see what comes up. Could very well be a trademark.

Happy hunting. I've been going a little crazy lately. Yesterday went on a binge and registered 50 .jp
how did you register so many yesterday??? what ovts? keywords?? I can't find a single word available ;)

blastfromthepast
14th July 2007, 12:04 AM
how did you register so many yesterday??? what ovts? keywords?? I can't find a single word available ;)

Of course. You aren't Japanese, so you can't find anything. This time: Japanese only. Sorry. Have a nice day. ^_^