PDA

View Full Version : Icann Denies!

sarcle
1st March 2006, 11:28 PM
Everyone can breathe a little easier. :)

It's so nice to see that reporters actually follow up on a story. The major news orgs should be embarrased really

However, ICANN officials contacted the Chinese Internet Network Information Center (CNNIC), which oversees the country's .cn top-level domain, after the report was published and were told there are no new Chinese top-level domains. The report may have resulted from a misunderstanding of work already in progress that involves second-level domains, according to Tina Dam, ICANN's chief GTLD (generic top-level domain) registry liaison.

"It's not news that there's at least a faction of the Chinese government that is concerned about this," said John Klensin, an independent consultant in Cambridge, Massachusetts, who was a pioneer in Internet software and has recently worked on internationalization projects. "Whether that faction is representative of the government is a matter of intense speculation, and I don't think anyone outside of China really knows," he said.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;565784098;fp;16;fpid;0

I wanted to add this quote that icann confirmed dname

but ICANN has been working toward providing top-level domain in different character sets, including Chinese,

OldIDNer
2nd March 2006, 02:54 AM
great, thanks

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2006, 09:31 AM
Its not what has been going on in China that has concerned me, it is the damage that has been done by ill-informed talk-talks!

bwhhisc
2nd March 2006, 12:16 PM
Its not what has been going on in China that has concerned me, it is the damage that has been done by ill-formed talk-talks!

Certainly some forum members have made it clear they don't and wouldn't invest in Chinese IDNs...even before the "news" broke in what turned out to be the English Language Chinese Newpaper. Their translator was perhaps on holiday this week, or in tabloid fashion they got a lot of free publicity for themselves.

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2006, 12:29 PM
Certainly some forum members have made it clear they don't and wouldn't invest in Chinese IDNs...even before the "news" broke in what turned out to be the English Language Chinese Newpaper. Their translator was perhaps on holiday this week, or in tabloid fashion they got a lot of free publicity for themselves.

Well for anyone who is any doubt my investment vehicle is called:

Chinese Domains Ltd.

This is because that is where the story started, it is the main event and that is where the story will finish. Even Japan is little more than an interesting aside by comparison!

bwhhisc
2nd March 2006, 01:17 PM
Well for anyone who is any doubt my investment vehicle is called:Chinese Domains Ltd. This is because that is where the story started, it is the main event and that is where the story will finish. Even Japan is little more than an interesting aside by comparison!

Boy Dave, I gotta say you got big Kahoona's! I would suspect "incoming" fire at any time...seems the last rumble was just a warm up! This should provide interest to all, and hopefully benefit all of our knowledge of IDNs speculation.

touchring
2nd March 2006, 01:21 PM
Well for anyone who is any doubt my investment vehicle is called:

Chinese Domains Ltd.

This is because that is where the story started, it is the main event and that is where the story will finish. Even Japan is little more than an interesting aside by comparison!

I've no doubt that Chinese idns are going to work out at the end of the day even if it had to go through ups and downs, but i won't dismiss Japanese domains as second class, especially if some of the valuation of real estate in Japan gets transferred onto virtual cities and prefectures. :p

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2006, 01:31 PM
I've no doubt that Chinese idns are going to work out at the end of the day even if it had to go through ups and downs, but i won't dismiss Japanese domains as second class, especially if some of the valuation of real estate in Japan gets transferred onto virtual cities and prefectures. :p

Yes, but some of the Chinese Provinces are kicking on for the size of Japan. The demographics are much more interesting, fewer old people and children per capita.
The size of the Japanese Economy is flattered by the exchange rate. If you look at it in terms of raw materials consumed China is far bigger. It is rapidly going high tech and by the time IDNs hit full speed, even in dollar terms China will dwarf Japan.

Add to that the fact that there a many fewer ways of saying the same thing in Chinese, as compared with Japanese, and it really is no contest.

touchring
2nd March 2006, 01:51 PM
Yes, but some of the Chinese Provinces are kicking on for the size of Japan. The demographics are much more interesting, fewer old people and children per capita.
The size of the Japanese Economy is flattered by the exchange rate. If you look at it in terms of raw materials consumed China is far bigger. It is rapidly going high tech and by the time IDNs hit full speed, even in dollar terms China will dwarf Japan.

Add to that the fact that there a many fewer ways of saying the same thing in Chinese, as compared with Japanese, and it really is no contest.

It will happen, but not within the next 5-8 years. Every Chinese and even the Japanese know that - Don has already said it.

On the luxury front though, China will exceed Japan in about 3-4 years - http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/content.jsp?id=com.tms.cms.article.Article_732805da-cb73c03a-d8a1a000-b066927e.

Japan remained its top market in Asia, with sales up 13.5% to 58,767 units last year.

This is followed by China, where BMW’s sales rose 37% to 31,600 units, while sales in South Korea inched up 1.9% to 5,912 units.

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2006, 02:02 PM
It will happen, but not within the next 5-8 years. Every Chinese and even the Japanese know that - Don has already said it.

Give it another 8 years and China will be hard on the heals of the US let alone Japan!

The dot CN registry is also nearly twice the size of the dot JP registry, so that give some pointers to levels of demand in the market.

bwhhisc
2nd March 2006, 03:13 PM

Whaaaaat? Not within the next 5-8 years? Are you talking about appreciation of IDNs or exactly what, and from what source did you get for this data. Just looking at GNP projections and growth rate for China and their aggressiveness to do business with Western companies...they are on a faster track than I think anyone imagines.

It is likened by our manufacturing partner in China to a "Gold Rush"- his words mind you, with businesses coming in at a record pace. Not only are the Chinese producing goods for retailers, they are aggressively cross marketing "our" products into their own markets, including stuff showing up here in the states in "Home Goods" store etc. to our <surprise!>. A lot of the expertise is coming from Taiwanese and Hong Kong businessman, although factories are spread throughout....our wholesaler is in Hebei, outside of Beijing.

sarcle
2nd March 2006, 03:35 PM
There really is no reason for us to be divided.

Chinese! Japanese! Russian! ect. It's going to be big for all of us. And there is enough room, enough internet and enough consumers for all of us.

The question we need to ask ourselves are when are these companies in these economies that we discuss such bright futures for going to contact us; and get major sites built on them?

The answer:

When browser support hits so that surfers can actually access them. When Icann gets Dname implemented.

The bottom line is no matter what people say about the settlement with Verisign and Icann it is benifical to us. The squabbling is over and now it's back to business as usual. We need more efficent news directly from Icann or Verisign to confirm our beliefs or fears. This third party reporting has proven to be unreliable and only cause for panic; when need not be.

Division amongst ourselves will only result in a negative outlook for our market we are all helping to build. While we are all trying to amass wealth independantly the basis of doing so is interwoven through talk and action. Bashing ones idn portfolio in an specific market only hurts everyones in other markets.

The ups and downs really don't need to be so dramatic.

This is only further proof that we need an idn organization that can be members to and get our news and information directly from the source.

OldIDNer
2nd March 2006, 03:46 PM
Well said.

touchring
2nd March 2006, 03:53 PM
Whaaaaat? Not within the next 5-8 years? Are you talking about appreciation of IDNs or exactly what, and from what source did you get for this data. Just looking at GNP projections and growth rate for China and their aggressiveness to do business with Western companies...they are on a faster track than I think anyone imagines.

It is likened by our manufacturing partner in China to a gold rush with businesses coming in at a record pace. Not only are the Chinese producing goods for retailers, they are aggressively cross marketing "our" products into their own markets, including stuff showing up here in the states in "Home Goods" store etc. to our <surprise!>. A lot of the expertise is coming from Taiwanese and Hong Kong businessman, although factories are spread throughout....our wholesaler is in Hebei, outside of Beijing.

For cities, yes, faster than 5-8 years, but i for the countryside, it's a different issue.

Even Beijing, is backward compared to Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2006, 03:55 PM
The bottom line is no matter what people say about the settlement with Verisign and Icann it is benifical to us. .

Yes, when the great unwashed at the other place talk about a Day of Infammy in relation to the deal, I can only assume Infammy must be pretty f*cking good!

sarcle
2nd March 2006, 03:56 PM
Yes, when the great unwashed at the other place talk about a Day of Infammy in relation to the deal, I can only assume Infammy must be pretty f*cking good!

You are Damn straight on that friend. We will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2006, 03:56 PM
For cities, yes, faster than 5-8 years, but i for the countryside, it's a different issue.

T'was ever thus. Even in the US it can be a journey back in time!

You are Damn straight on that friend. We will be laughing all the way to the bank.

To be fair to them, if your domains are only worth reg fee like most of the stuff shoved up for appraisal there, it has to be pretty worrying.:p

sarcle
2nd March 2006, 04:15 PM
To be fair to them, if your domains are only worth reg fee like most of the stuff shoved up for appraisal there, it has to be pretty worrying.:p

Yes, it seems the only ones this is truely going have and adverse effect on are the ones that have hundreds of thousands of domains and the ones registering "mymonkeysballsstink.com"

Other than that people with real revenue earning domains will not even notice this speed bump.

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2006, 04:19 PM
Yes, it seems the only ones this is truely going have and adverse effect on are the ones that have hundreds of thousands of domains and the ones registering "mymonkeysballsstink.com"

Other than that people with real revenue earning domains will not even notice this speed bump.

Yes and its still available, where that bloody credit card??!!

sarcle
2nd March 2006, 04:24 PM
Yes and its still available, where that bloody credit card??!!

Before you do, make sure you register all the typos so that no one hogs your trademark.

In the meantime, Dnforum just added an "Idn for sale" section. Now that's news!

bwhhisc
2nd March 2006, 04:30 PM
For cities, yes, faster than 5-8 years, but i for the countryside, it's a different issue. Even Beijing, is backward compared to Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

So can you translate that into IDN terms...there is an unspoken by pm'd feeling expressed by a number of forum members that Chinese IDN's will accrue more reg fees that value over the next 5 years. That is not my feeling at all and I have 25% of our IDNs in Chinese .coms and .nets.

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2006, 04:34 PM
Before you do, make sure you register all the typos so that no one hogs your trademark.

In the meantime, Dnforum just added an "Idn for sale" section. Now that's news!

Yes, but to view the single thread with its single posting, I would have to upgrade my membership.

I am afraid in the light of events, before that happens there would need to be a bit of boot licking!

Apologies, found that trying to promote IDN back along at DNF was really a very thankless task. I guess I got a bit jaundiced. No hard feelings really. I will help anyone who is genuinely interested in IDN to the extent that I am able. I have to say though this thing has mushroomed to the extent that much of the time I have gone from being the Master to the Pupil!

bwhhisc
2nd March 2006, 04:36 PM
There really is no reason for us to be divided. Division amongst ourselves will only result in a negative outlook for our market we are all helping to build.

Well said Sarcle...but good healthy debate is OK, and makes for interesting reading. It was getting a bit boring around here for a short bit. Also, it just might dissuade members into the smartest place to put their investments, both to fit short term, medium term and long term investments. There should be no issues for anyone to post their feelings here, and everyone should respect that. No one truly knows what the final outcome of all this will be yet...

thegenius1
2nd March 2006, 05:14 PM

That is so true and funny you say that, i had a quote in a post the other day that explains this whole thing very well, I will repeat it.... " ASCII'ers Are operating on " Planet Earth" were the whole population speaks english, and us IDN'ers FLEW off to the the MOON, where there is Great Opportunity in the Huge Melting Pot"...
I feal bad for the guys on other forums regging that crap, my eyes cring with the thought i what i could have bought with that 6.99

touchring
2nd March 2006, 05:20 PM
So can you translate that into IDN terms...there is an unspoken by pm'd feeling expressed by a number of forum members that Chinese IDN's will accrue more reg fees that value over the next 5 years. That is not my feeling at all and I have 25% of our IDNs in Chinese .coms and .nets.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you intend to earn by PPC, then a lower reg fee will mean greater profits - it's far easier to cover $7 a year than $30. Of cos, for top single word keywords, reg fee is less of an issue.

sarcle
2nd March 2006, 05:20 PM
Well said Sarcle...but good healthy debate is OK, and makes for interesting reading. It was getting a bit boring around here for a short bit. Also, it just might dissuade members into the smartest place to put their investments, both to fit short term, medium term and long term investments. There should be no issues for anyone to post their feelings here, and everyone should respect that. No one truly knows what the final outcome of all this will be yet...

Yes, of course. There should be no hinderance of discussion what so ever. Period! But giving people the outright impression that certain portfolios are trash only to boost others needs to squlech.

Yes, but to view the single thread with its single posting, I would have to upgrade my membership.

I am afraid in the light of events, before that happens there would need to be a bit of boot licking!

Now that DGC is apart of our group here maybe he can make you an honorary platinum member for your dedication and work on getting IDN popular there in the first place. It out to be at least worth that.

touchring
2nd March 2006, 05:27 PM

If there a direct relationship between the value of an IDN market and the size of the intended audience economy, then a more prosperous China might translate into a more valuable Chinese IDN market.

It depends on what you are looking for. If you intend to earn by PPC, then a lower reg fee will mean greater profits - it's far easier to cover $7 a year than $30.

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2006, 05:31 PM
Yes, of course. There should be no hinderance of discussion what so ever. Period! But giving people the outright impression that certain portfolios are trash only to boost others needs to squlech.

Now that DGC is apart of our group here maybe he can make you an honorary platinum member for your dedication and work on getting IDN popular there in the first place. It out to be at least worth that.

Actually, I did not realise that he was on board. Is our DCG the DCG? If so I take it back and a big welcome Adam!

gammascalper
2nd March 2006, 05:36 PM

Assuming he gets the "boot licking" out of the way...

I've got about 3700 DNF I can donate toward an exclusive membership for Dave. It's the absolute least I can do.

Who else has any?

sarcle
2nd March 2006, 05:39 PM
Actually, I did not realise that he was on board. Is our DCG the DCG? If so I take it back and a big welcome Adam!

I'm surprised you hadn't noticed. There is also a write up here.

http://www.dnforum.com/f72/new-idn-domains-sale-section-thread-136504.html#post770512

Who else has any?

I'll donate mine also. I don't have much but I think it's around 1,200.

gammascalper
2nd March 2006, 05:42 PM
Was it confirmed that DCG here is the 'real' DCG?

touchring
2nd March 2006, 05:45 PM
Yes, DCG on DNF already acknowledged IDNF (placed a link there) in the new IDN sales forum, so he can't be an imposter.

bwhhisc
2nd March 2006, 06:01 PM
Was it confirmed that DCG here is the 'real' DCG?

Yeah, that's 100% for sure...I put a funny post on thinking it was someone with the initials "DCG", who didn't understand the humor...til I got a very nice pm back. Edwin deserves credit for inviting him over...and I for one am glad he's stopping in and taking interest.

I would guess he is open minded to evalute what is being said by both the "hawks" and the "doves". Hopefully, he is willing to publish his opinion, whether pro or con. DCG's interest and influence could be a great thing for IDNs in general, both to spark more interest or perhaps be a part of our larger "voice" as things develop.

Rubber Duck
2nd March 2006, 06:03 PM
Assuming he gets the "boot licking" out of the way...

I've got about 3700 DNF I can donate toward an exclusive membership for Dave. It's the absolute least I can do.

Who else has any?

No, need. Participation here is recognition enough. Let's forget old scores!

I would guess he is open minded to evalute what is being said by both the "hawks" and the "doves". Hopefully, he is willing to publish his opinion, whether pro or con. DCG's interest and influence could be a great thing for IDNs in general, both to spark more interest or perhaps be a part of our larger "voice" as things develop.

Yes, any informed opions would be more than welcome. It was the uninformed opinoins that prevailed at DNF, that I have found rather difficult to take!

sarcle
2nd March 2006, 06:10 PM
No, need. Participation here is recognition enough. Let's forget old scores!

Yes, that's the truth. Today is a new leaf and tomorrow. Well, tomorrow we are rich.

bwhhisc
2nd March 2006, 07:27 PM
Yes, any informed opions would be more than welcome. It was the uninformed opinoins that prevailed at DNF, that I have found rather difficult to take!

There are a lot of domainers at DNForums...24,755 at last count. No doubt even 1% naysayers is a handful! DNForum was the catalyst for what has happened here. As the old saying goes: What goes around comes around. I think nothing but good has come out from all this.

They run a class act over at DN, with certainly no shortage of strong willed and opinionated domainers there that have their own (perhaps misinformed, perhaps visionary) opinions on IDNs. And by golly, we seem to have even inherited a few from the same gene pool over here. Kind of keeps it all interesting!

Drewbert
2nd March 2006, 08:03 PM
>The bottom line is no matter what people say about the settlement with Verisign and
>Icann it is benifical to us. The squabbling is over and now it's back to business as
>usual.

What has the ICANN-Verisingn deal got to do with IDN's?

I thought it was about rewarding monopolies and registration fee increases up the jacksie?

IDNCowboy
2nd March 2006, 08:06 PM
>The bottom line is no matter what people say about the settlement with Verisign and
>Icann it is benifical to us. The squabbling is over and now it's back to business as
>usual.

What has the ICANN-Verisingn deal got to do with IDN's?

I thought it was about rewarding monopolies and registration fee increases up the jacksie?
IDN reg prices go up too.