PDA

View Full Version : Some help with translation?

mulligan
2nd March 2006, 02:24 AM
Hi all,

Im fairly new to IDN's, have mostly english language.coms and .nets.

The way I see it is that IDN's are going to be HUGE! Above and beyond what the english language domains in general are doing.
It just stands to reason and people who cant or refuse to see this will be caught short in the long run. I for one am very late getting in, but not too late I hope!

It will take a bit of time but the days of million $ IDN sales are just around the corner and I believe the people who will responsible for that are members of this forum......;)

So, Im slowly easing out of the .engish language market (though still buy the ocassional one!) and will be focsing more on IDN's from now on.

Anyway, what did I want to ask?

Oh yeah, can someone have a look at this and let me know if I have it right?

xn--l8jeg1ioi.com (あいちょう.com)

Does this translate to, roughly speaking, 'Pet Bird' or am I way off track?

Is there an online dictionary that any of you can recommend for Kanji, German, Spanish and French?

What do people think about French names? How is the market for them?

What are your thoughts about the accents over some German words, I've done a few overture searches and sometimes the accented words return 0 whilst removing the accent returns some results. Dont know about the french equivalent, yet..

Thanks for your input in advance.

thegenius1
2nd March 2006, 02:29 AM
Welcome to the Word of IDN isomonia, ASCII is like planet Earth with only English Speaking people on it, And We have all Flew to the MOON Where it is a Huge Melting Pot..... Here is a link of a good online translator http://www.ectaco.co.uk/main.jsp;jsessionid=bc3085a56c8514397943?do=e-services-dictionaries-word_translate1&direction=1&status=translate&lang1=23&lang2=ml&source=entrepreneur

I just googled it for images witch is a good trick to take out insurance on what you Reg, and i dont happen to see any birds

kenne
2nd March 2006, 02:31 AM
I know no Japanese, but I know ペット means pet;

altavista babelfish says this is some kind of meeting :confused:

mulligan
2nd March 2006, 02:54 AM
Thnx for the link TG1!
Excellent tool....

You have to love Babelfish although wouldnt like to rely on it too much.
It returns TG1's 色情小說.com (AdultNovel) as 'Lust small?' :confused:

gammascalper
2nd March 2006, 03:03 AM
Oh yeah, can someone have a look at this and let me know if I have it right?

xn--l8jeg1ioi.com (あいちょう.com)

Does this translate to, roughly speaking, 'Pet Bird' or am I way off track?

I'm afraid you're way off track. I'm not sure what you actually have.

ペット鳥

Pet bird

Throw this ペット鳥 into the overture tool:

http://inventory.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/?mkt=jp

You'll see it receives a few thousand searches a month. That's small in the scheme of things (fyi).

Start reading the old threads in the Member's section and General section. You'll find many more valuable tips on how to go about translating and mining for IDN.

Edwin
2nd March 2006, 03:13 AM
Here's a pretty good Japanese dictionary...
http://www.japanese2day.com/cgi-bin/wwwjdic/wwwjdic.cgi?1C

(read the results you get carefully as it will give you "best guess" results for a shorter expression if it doesn't have what you're looking for, so you might end up thinking that the characters you pasted for "business widgets" mean "business" or something like that - can trip up the novices a few times!)

Looks like what you are talking about is "愛鳥" which is what you get when you convert "あいちょう" into Kanji and pick the one about the bird. The Kanji mean "pet bird" but "あいちょう" itself doesn't - or at least it would be pronounced the same, but nobody would automatically recognize it as such.

See, the problem is that the Japanese are 100% comfortable using Kanji (when they exist) so they have no need to take a short cut with what is essentially a phonetic spelling-out of a word (Hiragana).

Probably 95-99% of the time, Hiragana is used to provide parts of sentences such as prepositions, advebs, verb tenses, honourifics and so on. It is almost never used to write regular words.

What may also confuse the unwary is that you'll sometimes come across Kanji with Hiragana written above it - that's there to help people know how to pronounce unfamiliar Kanji (there are a lot of such visual aids in comics aimed at younger children, for example) but even there it's just a PHONETIC rendering of the actual Kanji - the Hiragana itself isn't imbued with a specific meaning.

mulligan
2nd March 2006, 03:39 AM
Thanks for your help guys, (and the links) research is going to keep me busy for a while.... :)