PDA

View Full Version : Suspect that Google is applying an algo for minisites with SERP traffic.

touchring
20th July 2007, 07:32 AM
Hi, i don't have enough evidence, but i suspect that Google is applying an advanced algo on websites (minisites also) that receive SERP traffic.

Sites that have little SERP traffic are not affected - regardless of whether they are indexed on Google.

blastfromthepast
20th July 2007, 07:37 AM
I think there is all sorts of sneak tracking that is going on behind all the ads. They are really trying to see where your customers are comming from, how they click, what they searched for, as much as they can gather. All this affects the final payout per click.

touchring
20th July 2007, 07:39 AM
I think there is all sorts of sneak tracking that is going on behind all the ads. They are really trying to see where your customers are comming from, how they click, what they searched for, as much as they can gather. All this affects the final payout per click.

Not sure about that, but i checked my sites, those with low traffic are on google index, those with high SERP traffic strangely dropped off.

jacksonm
20th July 2007, 07:55 AM
Hi, i don't have enough evidence, but i suspect that Google is applying an advanced algo on websites (minisites also) that receive SERP traffic.

Sites that have little SERP traffic are not affected - regardless of whether they are indexed on Google.

Could you be any more vague?

touchring
20th July 2007, 08:00 AM
Could you be any more vague?

Put simply, basically, Google might be checking on adsense minisites that receive Google SERP traffic.

They must be using a separate bot/algo because these sites get indexed at first, stays on for a few weeks or a few months and after that, just drop off the index (site:domain => no results).

I don't experience such a problem with Yahoo.jp.

jacksonm
20th July 2007, 08:20 AM
Put simply, basically, Google might be checking on adsense minisites that receive Google SERP traffic.

They must be using a separate bot/algo because these sites get indexed at first, stays on for a few weeks or a few months and after that, just drop off the index (site:domain => no results).

I don't experience such a problem with Yahoo.jp.

How many of your minisites have suddenly dropped completely out of google's index?

touchring
20th July 2007, 08:36 AM
How many of your minisites have suddenly dropped completely out of google's index?

At least a dozen, mostly with traffic exceeding 20 views or so a day. Sites with low traffic are not affected.

I'm now trying an experiment, changing one of the dropped site into a full db site, investing more than a thousand bucks in this project.

yanni
20th July 2007, 11:31 AM
You saying that G considers sites with 20+views a day as high-traffic?

Wot
20th July 2007, 12:03 PM

I do :)

jacksonm
20th July 2007, 02:10 PM

I personally wouldn't consider one of my domains as high-traffic until it's getting 20+ views a second.

20 views a day is barely a trickle.

touchring
20th July 2007, 02:33 PM
Well, what i've seen is still inconclusive, but you guys with single page minisites around for more than 3 months can check your portfolio. btw, after the names are dropped, the punycode (often cached with ND parking page) can still be indexed (only the unicode is dropped).

jacksonm
20th July 2007, 04:23 PM
I'm not doing any minisites at the moment other than japanese, so I don't care much if google drops those from the index unless they start sharing the ban list with yahoo.

After doing some seo last week, I got a one-pager sitting in spots 11 and 17 (page 2) on yahoo.co.jp for a 1m and a 125k ovt term, respectively. I've already received about 50 page impressions today according to adsense. Watch out of that sucker hits the front page for both terms :-)

touchring
20th July 2007, 05:34 PM
I'm not doing any minisites at the moment other than japanese, so I don't care much if google drops those from the index unless they start sharing the ban list with yahoo.

After doing some seo last week, I got a one-pager sitting in spots 11 and 17 (page 2) on yahoo.co.jp for a 1m and a 125k ovt term, respectively. I've already received about 50 page impressions today according to adsense. Watch out of that sucker hits the front page for both terms :-)

Sounds right, but eventually, we'll still got to deal with other languages.