PDA

View Full Version : More fun from the Japanese blogs

rhys
23rd July 2007, 10:55 PM
Thought you guys would enjoy reading this one from the blogosphere posted July 18th.

日本語ドメインは、SEOにいいらしいですよ。(現在では)

昔から話題になってはいたのは知ってたんですが、個人的に「日本語ドメインってどうなの?」って疑っていました。

あわてて、ムームードメイン
で、日本語ドメインを探してみました。

ナイスな日本語ドメインは、ないですね。
“一足遅かった” どころではなく、かなり遅かったようです。(プロアフィリエイトの皆さんには「なにをいまさら!」と笑われそうですが・・・)

http://affiliate.takuwan.com/blog/2007/07/post_21.html

Loose translation:
Japanese domains are supposedly good for SEO purposes (at the present)

Since ages ago, I knew that they had become a point of conversation, and personally I thought, "what are Japanese domains?"

So at MuMu domains, I looked for Japanese domain names.

All the good Japanese domains are gone. I mean, we aren't just talking about being a little bit too late, we're talking about being really really late. (This is the point at which you professional affiliate guys out there are laughing and saying, "you don't say!"...)

thegenius1
23rd July 2007, 11:27 PM
" we're talking about being really really late. "

I wonder how many shit their pants

Olney
24th July 2007, 01:50 AM
I tried to tell people about IDN Domains via the Social Domain groups, you got some guys in IT who just can't see the future. I even had a few who told me don't say anything cause they're still regging.
& for those who don't know MuMu it's probably the biggest registry connected to the biggest hosting service Lolipop.
JPRS did a deal to add IDN but only in .jp initially.
So I know some people who knew about IDNs but didn't even know it's available in dot com.
I don't have a preference for what I want to succeed, I think they both will but development will determine which extensions mean IDN to the average user.
If they see many IDN.com sites they will know IDN.com is an option

My two largest traffic sites are dot coms...

blastfromthepast
24th July 2007, 03:47 AM
All the good Japanese domains are gone. I mean, we aren't just talking about being a little bit too late, we're talking about being really really late. (This is the point at which you professional affiliate guys out there are laughing and saying, "you don't say!"...)

This will only serve to drive up the resale price. Especially keeping in mind that the big portfolio holders like Digirock want $XXX,XXX per name and aren't motivated to sell anyways.

alpha
24th July 2007, 03:54 AM
Rhys, I got to ask. How on earth can any self respecting SEO guy worth his salt not know what a Japanese domain name is? considering that... well... this guy is Japanese, he looks at Japanese sites all day long, his business is to know Japanese keywords and all the tricks etc.

Either these guys are really really dumb, or you stumbled on a different blog, maybe a pokemon fan club or something, and you're getting confused yourself in translation.

rhys
24th July 2007, 04:04 AM
Rhys, I got to ask. How on earth can any self respecting SEO guy worth his salt not know what a Japanese domain name is? considering that... well... this guy is Japanese, he looks at Japanese sites all day long, his business is to know Japanese keywords and all the tricks etc.

Either these guys are really really dumb, or you stumbled on a different blog, maybe a pokemon fan club or something, and you're getting confused yourself in translation.

wa ha ha ha ha ha. Japanese are dumb until they are suddenly smart and then everyone is smart together. At least that's how I like to think of it.

blastfromthepast
24th July 2007, 04:05 AM
Groupthink. Got to respect that. All aboard the IDN train. The think tanks have published their results, the consensus has been formed, the buzz is on the blogs. Those in the loop have scooped up their pickings and stand to benefit (as usual). What we are waiting for is the last step. Sudden and massive acceptance and implementation. Get ready to see Japanese domain combos and tricks you have never seen before. On TV and at every train station.

Olney
24th July 2007, 04:50 AM
IDNs came out years ago & people registered them but since they couldn't use them they just forgot about them. I remember people talking about them years ago too.
Some people just thought it was a fad thing or it wasn't popular & just went away.

A lot of SEOs are looking to the US market to see what changes there are. There are some things that affect international SEO like encodes, & IDNs that have no relevance in the US SEO market currently.

I change my stance on domains in English for Japanese but domains in Japanese have the most value for Japanese. There would be no domaining industry in Japan until IDNs could be used.

touchring
24th July 2007, 04:58 AM

Conformist thinking. Same problem in Singapore, everyone does what everyone else does. Only bad people cybersquztt.

alpha
24th July 2007, 05:12 AM
Rhys,

Have you posted on this blog yet?

Because with all our collective knowledge and insight, our advice would probably be valuable to these guys?

If you wouldn't mind posting for me, I have a few gems courtesy of the UK idners

"all your bases are belong to us"

"0wn3d"

Olney
24th July 2007, 05:15 AM
This will only serve to drive up the resale price. Especially keeping in mind that the big portfolio holders like Digirock want $XXX,XXX per name and aren't motivated to sell anyways.

I think DigiRock would sell for less depending on the company involved. These companies have been selling to other companies & it hasn't been in the XXX,XXX range always. I've heard of mid to high XX,XXX sale Japanese company to Japanese company this year.

mdw
24th July 2007, 05:37 AM
All the good Japanese domains are gone. I mean, we aren't just talking about being a little bit too late, we're talking about being really really late.
A very few of the really smart ones will realize this is wrong. A little time watching the aftermarket sales here and watching snapnames and they'll find pretty decent domains for peanuts. And though the low-lying fruit may have been picked already, there's a long, long way to go mining second-tier domains for those who can spend the time and effort IMO.

blastfromthepast
24th July 2007, 05:43 AM
おいそがしそうだね、諸君。
君達のトップドメインは、全てアールエイチワイエスがいただいた。
君達のご協力には感謝する。
ハッハッハッハッハッ・・・

IDNCowboy
24th July 2007, 05:58 AM

the blogger is just figuring it out

"bugs bunny chews a carrot"
ya don't say mr. japanese blogger
i wonder who took them......................where did they go doc :)

touchring
24th July 2007, 06:01 AM
I think DigiRock would sell for less depending on the company involved. These companies have been selling to other companies & it hasn't been in the XXX,XXX range always. I've heard of mid to high XX,XXX sale Japanese company to Japanese company this year.

This gives me some idea, do you think it is feasible to use a japanese proxy for whois? Japanese sounding name and address, broker handles the email coms in japanese. The broker takes % fee if a deal is done. Maybe you can provide such a service!

Olney
24th July 2007, 06:21 AM
I was referring more on the way corporate business is done here. A few known companies sold to a few known companies (or existing clients). It might have been a few transactions but it builds future business. They have a portfolio of domains, selling to an established Japanese corporation is worth more in terms of connects & sales history than just selling to an individual.

So this is why I believe a company like DigiRock (if they did) would shoot off a price like XXX,XXX. If was a corporation (especially a known one) they wouldn't give those quotes this year.

This gives me some idea, do you think it is feasible to use a japanese proxy for whois? Japanese sounding name and address, broker handles the email coms in japanese. The broker takes % fee if a deal is done. Maybe you can provide such a service!

websjapan
2nd August 2007, 09:42 AM
yeah i really feel sorry for these guys

i'm always gutted when i think of a domain and try to reg it then see its been reged a month or few weeks earlier (in fact happened to me yesterday! doh...)

but these guys haven't even started thinking about reging yet. when they figure out how to and then realize that their entire stock of decent domains has already been taken, mostly by savvy japanese, or foreigners, they are gonna be totally gutted!

poor buggers.