PDA

View Full Version : Overture vs. number of pages, which one is better?

idnceo
3rd March 2006, 08:25 AM
im newbie, so i wonder about this, i saw an available japanese IDN domain with 400.000 overture but it only gives me like 10.000 websites in Yahoo Japan. While i see some domains with 8000 overture but that gives me like 20.000.000 websites, so i dont understand. Which one is better to register?

do you register a word because it has very high overture -even if it doesnt have a lot of websites in Yahoo- or do you worry more for the number of pages that Yahoo, Google, etc gives you for that specified word? Thank you!

Olney
3rd March 2006, 08:42 AM
It really depends on what the term is.
400,000 OVTjp is high.
Just make sure that it's not the name of an Idol group or TV show...
I'd suggest take the chance in buying it.

Make sure you look at the sites that are produced by the term in Google.co.jp & Yahoo.co.jp

If in doubt also use the image find too.

touchring
3rd March 2006, 09:18 AM
im newbie, so i wonder about this, i saw an available japanese IDN domain with 400.000 overture but it only gives me like 10.000 websites in Yahoo Japan. While i see some domains with 8000 overture but that gives me like 20.000.000 websites, so i dont understand. Which one is better to register?

do you register a word because it has very high overture -even if it doesnt have a lot of websites in Yahoo- or do you worry more for the number of pages that Yahoo, Google, etc gives you for that specified word? Thank you!

Take the word "the" as example, it will give you a billion pages, but what's the value?

A better method will be to count the number of ads on Google.co.jp.

idnceo
3rd March 2006, 11:00 AM
Take the word "the" as example, it will give you a billion pages, but what's the value?

A better method will be to count the number of ads on Google.co.jp.

Thank you for your feedback. But how can i count the number of ads? what do you mean? Im sorry, im too too newbie. It is a webtool like Overture where i put the keyword? :confused:

rhys
3rd March 2006, 11:04 AM
Thank you for your feedback. But how can i count the number of ads? what do you mean? Im sorry, im too too newbie. It is a webtool like Overture where i put the keyword? :confused:

I think Touchring is referring to the number of advertisers for any set of keywords you look up say on Overture's bid tool. If there are only one or two or three it doesn't indicate a lot of interest from advertisers. If there is a long list, clearly there is a greater potential number of players to earn money from or sell the domain to...

jose
3rd March 2006, 03:31 PM
I am getting some serious doubs trusting OT results. Check my other post on this:

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/1223-my-1-4million-ot-domain.html

Besides the obvious about TV shows and other events temporary popularity I am beggining to think some of these results might be script tempered somehow. Maybe using bot scripts. To promote a website or to do click fraud.

gammascalper
3rd March 2006, 03:34 PM

You're not going to want to have very high bids and no traffic either...

Go for all three and strike a balance across your portfolio:

Overture, # Search Engine Results Pages and bids.

idnceo
3rd March 2006, 06:33 PM
well, another question, which OVT numbers make you think in registering a .tv? would u even register a .cc for a generic word that has a +1.500.000 Japanese overture?

im seeing some generic words with over 1.000.000 in ovt. and they have available extensions like .tv or .cc Is it worth to register those extensions? im feeling i should not?

im now trying to compare overture and search results, but i do find there are so few words with over 400.000 in overture in Yahoo Japan, so should i take the .tv or even the terrible .cc in those cases that have 400.000 or more overture and high search results?

Drewbert
3rd March 2006, 06:41 PM
.tv' are used in SOME markets, usually by brands, usually media outlets.

.cc just sucks beyond comprehension.

jose
3rd March 2006, 07:07 PM
My 1.4 Million OT domain is now more than 24h old and got 0 hits.

How can that be, if I get 3 or 4 hits day with domains with *only* 50k OT.

I agree some names are better than other to type directly, but 0 hits?!

I just don't trust OT anymore.

Olney
4th March 2006, 12:33 AM
I believe you can trust the tools but we've all developed ways of determining value.
Look at OVTjp first you say it's high.
Look at a translation of the word in one or two translators.
I personally only use Google or Goo.ne.jp (Goo being my preference)

Look at some of the other terms produced by that simple keyword.
Is it a 2 character domain, is it a 4 character phrase, is it a katakana term?

Search for term look for the results this will tell you how the term is, or more commonly used. Make sure you only use Yahoo.co.jp & Google.co.jp NOT the English versions.

If that's not enough use the Japan Overture Bid tool to see if there's any ads. What kinds of ads are produced?

Then you can see if you really want this domain or not. If you can't get a translation for it then it might be a brand, company name, TV show, etc. But that's for you to determine if you guys didn't buy the term yet & don't want to post it.

lunn
16th May 2006, 02:53 AM
I believe you can trust the tools but we've all developed ways of determining value.
Look at OVTjp first you say it's high.
Look at a translation of the word in one or two translators.
I personally only use Google or Goo.ne.jp (Goo being my preference)

Look at some of the other terms produced by that simple keyword.
Is it a 2 character domain, is it a 4 character phrase, is it a katakana term?

Search for term look for the results this will tell you how the term is, or more commonly used. Make sure you only use Yahoo.co.jp & Google.co.jp NOT the English versions.

If that's not enough use the Japan Overture Bid tool to see if there's any ads. What kinds of ads are produced?

Then you can see if you really want this domain or not. If you can't get a translation for it then it might be a brand, company name, TV show, etc. But that's for you to determine if you guys didn't buy the term yet & don't want to post it.

Great reply!
thks olney

touchring
16th May 2006, 08:38 AM
.tv' are used in SOME markets, usually by brands, usually media outlets.

.cc just sucks beyond comprehension.

I'm starting to see idns.cc being registered, would caution against that as few websites use .cc, they are only for speculation, and very risky.

bramiozo
16th May 2006, 09:07 AM
In general I would say, high ovt and low SE suggests a hype of some kind, high se and low ovt suggests a general word that is normally not used in itself.

Rubber Duck
16th May 2006, 12:17 PM
I'm starting to see idns.cc being registered, would caution against that as few websites use .cc, they are only for speculation, and very risky.

In this game there are a number of logical steps to take. You start with the most high markets and most commercial generic terms and the hottest extension and then you work out from there.

Most of the top top terms have gone in China and Japan, so it is logical to progress to other extension such as dot net and ccTLDs, and many speculators are doing this. It also logical to progress to Combos with commercial potential. Even in these markets we are not yet to the any single word term in any extension phase yet.

My first strategy to keep ahead of the market was to diversify markets, but stick as far as possible with to top generic dot coms. After Chinese and Japanese we identified Russian and Arabic as keymarkets, we then went on look at South and Souteast Asia, but here you start getting into a risk situation with the likelihood of IDN take up. This was a risk that I was willing to take. I think this is substantially less of a risk than going for obscure extensions, although I have to say that dot TV does seem to have established some momentum. As yet I have not bought any, and don't intend to. Dot CC is not even on my Radar screen.

What advice would I give to Newbies? Well, get some top generic Hindi in dot com. Very high potential there. Not a 100% sure fire thing, but things are moving Hindis way. Try to pick up some top terms in Arabic and Russian, although this is getting tough. Accept that the main terms in Chinese and Japanese have substantially gone. Go for some good Combos rather than registering little used similies that aren't going to fool any serious buyer and won't get traffic. Fill in with ccTLDs and dot nets where good terms might still be available. Get a few, but very few hot dot TVs and forget about dot CC for the foreseeable future.

Further, if you have arrived late accept that fact and look at the secondary market. Much more expensive than new regging, but for the right terms it is the right move. There are terms there that will be worth 100 times what they are selling for today. Better to spend a bit on some good secondary purchases than registering rubbish in the primary market.