PDA

View Full Version : Value of .net versus .com and .jp

Hotweb
28th July 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm pretty new to the whole IDN game and realized that I'm late in the game.

I've been searching through and found a couple of words that bring in 150,000 monthly searches. But the .com and .jp are taken.

Are .net worth anything?

I'm also wondering if you had a choice of .com, .jp and .net (I guess .biz too) which one would you put a priority on?

touchring
28th July 2007, 09:10 AM
Based on what people on forums say: .com are generally worth 5-30 times of .nets. The ratio for ASCIIs seems to be 20 or higher. RD values idn.net at 1/5 of idn.com. :)

As for .com vs .jp, this is really controversial.

bramiozo
28th July 2007, 09:34 AM
For ASCII it would really have to be 10 times or higher based on LLL and NNN sales and higher is limited or you would have to deny the intrinsic value of keyword gtld's.

At the moment idn .com's are by definition valued higher by the resellers and indeed most noted sales are .com's but this is more based on the ascii rule than anything else. You shouldn't be suprised if certain languages will attract more visitors to .net albeit with a lower ctr.

Olney
28th July 2007, 09:57 AM
Welcome to the site
It depends on what you plan to do with your portfolio of names.
If you want to develop I'd think net, com, or jp are equally good.
Especially if you are a Japanese speaker & can easily see how to develop & the potential.
If it's buy & sell short term com & jp is better currently com has the biggest public sales.

I'm gearing towards thinking future value is going to be
1. jp
2. com
3. net

This is looking towards 2 to 3 years later up until then I believe there will be no clear "more value" extension.
I didn't think that initially but JPRS has made IDN.jp locally cheaper than anything else even ASCII.com, plus primary used local domain services like muumuu domains only allow registrations of IDN.jp.
Since most of the initial premium IDNs dot com in many languages were registered by a few western domain companies (Not talking about us here) if they made full developed sites this would give dot com the upper hand. If they are left as parking pages it won't create awareness.

Many over here do know IDNs exists but recently a few are surprised when I tell them they are available in dot com too. Lolipop hosting (Muumuu Domains) will by the end of next year probably be responsible for the most new registrations through 2008.

Which part of Hawaii are you in? I own Waikiki, Honolulu, Maui, & Oafu in dot jp....

Hotweb
28th July 2007, 10:08 AM
Thank for all your help everyone as that really clears up things for me.

Interesting you brought up Hawaii because I do web production in Honolulu and naturally bumped into a few of your sites. I actually found hawaiihotel and was amazed by the search engine results. Although I'm no SEO expert, I checked the backlinks to your site, look at the source and made an assumption that IDN must have significant value for search results.

That is pretty much how I ended up here and am just killing myself that I didn't find out about this earlier.

As I grew up in Japan and am pretty much native in Japanese, I'm hoping I can contribute to this forum in different ways.

Thanks!

Rubber Duck
28th July 2007, 10:30 AM
You got it in one. Trying to do SEO without an IDN will be like smashing your head against a rock. Once that is understood in Japan ASCII will be just about dead.

Thank for all your help everyone as that really clears up things for me.

Interesting you brought up Hawaii because I do web production in Honolulu and naturally bumped into a few of your sites. I actually found hawaiihotel and was amazed by the search engine results. Although I'm no SEO expert, I checked the backlinks to your site, look at the source and made an assumption that IDN must have significant value for search results.

That is pretty much how I ended up here and am just killing myself that I didn't find out about this earlier.

As I grew up in Japan and am pretty much native in Japanese, I'm hoping I can contribute to this forum in different ways.

Thanks!

Olney
28th July 2007, 10:32 AM
I'm pretty sure members always appreciate all native speakers.
No one can guarantee that the domains will always have as much value as they do now. Once more IDNs are developed & indexed things will balance out, it's only natural.
I got a bit lucky with the Hawaii stuff. JPRS has reserved all Japan geo locations in dot jp. If I worked there I would have reserved Hawaii, Saipan, & Guam geo domains.
I think many would especially appreciate a Japanese speaking web designer.
Get what you can that's free to register but also realize that buying in the aftermarket might be cheaper in the longrun(For big keywords).

Hotweb
28th July 2007, 10:38 AM
Thanks! Hey I'm late in the game but at least I've found this site as a great resource! I'll try to give back to the site with the resources and language skills that I bring.

rhys
28th July 2007, 03:38 PM
Welcome aboard hotweb. Your skills will be welcome here.

As you seem uniquely positioned to take advantage of these. I will let you know that I own ハワイホテル.jp and ハワイ旅行.jp both undeveloped. I could mini-site them but it would be great to experiment with full on site development for these terms. Let me know if you are interested in a development partnership on these with attractive rev-share terms. We could discuss specifics via PM.