PDA

View Full Version : Your best domain name score

GranttheKiwi
4th March 2006, 03:58 AM
Hi

I was wondering what everyone's best domain name reg is. I thought it would be useful to see what people envisage as being there most valuable buy and the relevant TLD and language.

So do you have one IDN that you would mortgage the house to hang on to?

gammascalper
4th March 2006, 06:30 AM
In light of recent events, I would have to say

HồChíMinh.com or SàiGòn.net. 子犬.com is a sentimental fave.

touchring
4th March 2006, 09:17 AM
I think my best reg so far is UAE (see my signature), especially with the recent hooha over the Dubai government's (one of the emirates in UAE) take over of some American East Coast ports when it bought UK's P&O for $6b recently. I think it could sell for a house if held onto for a couple of years, especially when oil prices are expected to exceed $100 a barrel soon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Arab_Emirates

The UAE's wealth is largely based on oil and gas output, some 33% of GDP. It is the third largest oil producer in the Persian Gulf after Saudi Arabia and Iran (Iraq's oil output has fluctuated due to war). Since 1973, the UAE has undergone a profound transformation from an impoverished region of small desert principalities to a modern state with a high standard of living. The country's per capita GDP is not far below the GDPs of the leading West European nations. Its generosity with oil revenues and its moderate foreign policy stance have allowed it to play a vital role in the affairs of the region. In recent years the government has sought to diversify its sources of income and lessen its dependence on finite oil reserves. One result of these efforts is a steadily developing tourism industry, centered on coastal, desert and sporting resorts and infrastructure. The success of these ventures, along with other factors like the relatively low price of commodities, the warm temperatures that prevail for most of the year, the engineering marvels such as Burj Al Arab and The Palm Islands, and friendliness to the West have led many to call it the Hong Kong of the Middle East.

Rubber Duck
4th March 2006, 11:06 AM
Hi

I was wondering what everyone's best domain name reg is. I thought it would be useful to see what people envisage as being there most valuable buy and the relevant TLD and language.

So do you have one IDN that you would mortgage the house to hang on to?

I am not going to pick one, as I have so many it really wouldn't make much sense even if I some idea myself.

I believe that for IDN dot com will indeed remain the dominant extension. IDN reduces the need for ccTLD, where the scripts used generally define the market.

The importance of language is the value of the markets it give you access to. I would therefore say investing for the Medium Term:

Simplified Chinese
Japanese
Hindi
Arabic
Russian
Urdu
Bangla

As dot coms cost very little to register, mortgaging the house is not necessary to maintain any given domain, but I think you might be surprised how far out on limb some of us have gone to obtain our portfolios. Our portfolio is now cashflow positive, so that is really no longer an issue.

The real cost, however, has been in the time taken to research the market and individual domains and the time taken to market IDN. But it would seem that from here on in, time spent will now be adequately rewarded. As the law of diminishing returns start to bite, smart investors will increasing turn to the secondary markets, especially as the logical imperative of IDN becomes unassailable.