PDA

View Full Version : 東京.net Sells for $10k

gammascalper
4th March 2006, 06:03 AM
Way to go Dave!!!!

Prices for Japanese IDN just lurched upward.

kenne
4th March 2006, 06:24 AM
Congrats Dave!!

Though for Tokyo, $10k insures a fast sale... This is a milestone for the market :)

rhys
4th March 2006, 06:31 AM
Hell I will pile on. Congrats Dave!! That's awesome news for all of us!

thegenius1
4th March 2006, 06:40 AM
Wow way to kick things off with a .Net Congrats , im putting up my Version Of Tokyo asap ..... Or you guys can PM offers, 江戸 .com " EDO" Tokyo Old Version :)

Rubber Duck
4th March 2006, 08:05 AM
Just make sure you have all got your feet in the Stirrups!

touchring
4th March 2006, 08:13 AM
Great sale, good if you can get it announced on DNjournal to seal the 'fate'.

drbiohealth
4th March 2006, 08:18 AM
Dave, was that your name? Was that sold here or elsewhere? Terrific news! I feel that's pretty cheap for a name like Tokyo! Congrats!

blastfromthepast
4th March 2006, 12:32 PM
皆さん、we have a winner!

Dave, a congratulations from Blast and 江戸.net !

OldIDNer
4th March 2006, 12:35 PM
good sale! Congrats!

alexd
4th March 2006, 12:52 PM
Excellent News

Well done.

And being a .net as well ( even though its an excellent one ), might give us who have several .net IDNs hope for the future.

Alex

bramiozo
4th March 2006, 01:06 PM
It would be nice if we could get this in the general media wouldn't it ?

blastfromthepast
4th March 2006, 01:12 PM
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5019559,00.jpg

“Tokyo is a state-of-the-art financial marketplace, where billions of dollars are whisked electronically around the globe every day in the blink of an eye.”

http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgresults.cfm?destination=tokyo@156

idnowner
4th March 2006, 01:12 PM
Where are the details of this sale? Who purchased? Was it from this forum? Etc?

touchring
4th March 2006, 01:38 PM
It's not much whether it is a .net, but the fact that only names of places in Japan and China have sold for more than $1000 and their valuation have increased steadily across the board in the matter of months.

That is something which many of us have overlooked, especially those of us who never blinked an eye spending thousands of dollars on junk drops and OVT names.

We've come a long way from my "maiden sale" of 25 Japanese city .COMs last December - http://www.dnforum.com/f5/25-idn-xn-7st983ah6s-com-japanese-cities-sale-ovt-15k-domain-thread-124572.html

The 25 .COMs were on the market for more than 2 weeks at $45 each with no one biting, until Bill came - he was smart enough to see that they are worth much more than that.

At the end of the day, city names are still the most valuable, and just because you do not see a Denver.com or Seattle.com being announced sold on DNJ doesn't mean they are not valuable - they are so valuable that transactions are rare and even if there are, would be private sale to big investors and companies. OTOH, you would find plenty of lesser valued dictionary names sold for 5 or 6 figures announced on DNJ.

Finally, all i can say is that the buyer did the right choice - if i had the extra cash, i would also take the domain at 10k. Com'mon what's 10K, can it buy 1/2 a square meter in Ginza?

idnowner
4th March 2006, 01:57 PM
Way to go Dave!!!!

Prices for Japanese IDN just lurched upward.

Would you mind posting any details of this sale?

Rubber Duck
4th March 2006, 02:03 PM
Would you mind posting any details of this sale?

I expect that the details will be posted in DNJournal upon satisfactory completion.

The Buyer was previously known to me, but I had no idea of any interest in this particular domain, prior to posting at DNForum.

I believe the Buyer will wish to remain anonymous, but I am not yet sure that that is the case.

I can confirm that the asking price was met.

touchring
4th March 2006, 02:11 PM
I expect that the details will be posted in DNJournal upon satisfactory completion.

The Buyer was previously known to me, but I had no idea of any interest in this particular domain, prior to posting at DNForum.

I believe the Buyer will wish to remain anonymous, but I am not yet sure that that is the case.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

One of the usual buyers on IDNF? Or new guy?

Rubber Duck
4th March 2006, 02:17 PM
One of the usual buyers on IDNF? Or new guy?

I am afraid I will have to let you draw your own conclusions on that one.

idnowner
4th March 2006, 02:23 PM

When an IDN sale has been made, and the domain has not been transferred and there is no other evidence or details available anywhere else, it can lead to suspicion of sales hype. Even if a legitimate offer was made and accepted, if a deal should "fall through," that could also create a negative impact, so I'd be cautious to post any sale prematurely.

I also see that gammascalper was the first to post a congratulatory message for this sale, and I was curious to know how gammascalper got the news first. Was there a post somewhere else, or did I miss something?

gammascalper
4th March 2006, 02:25 PM
There was a 'SOLD' tag on Dave's post at DNF.

Sarcle was first to do the congratulations. He made his congratulatory post 12 hours after Dave's edited timestamp... so the 'news' was old even by that time.

Rubber Duck
4th March 2006, 02:29 PM
I would not have made any announcement bar the fact, that I cannot continue to offer something for sale that is no longer available. It was Sold subject to contract as stated.

I think Duke will only publish if adequately scrutinized. I am afraid you will have to accept his judgement on the matter.

Kerrijo
4th March 2006, 02:33 PM
Congrats on your sale! :)

touchring
4th March 2006, 02:38 PM
When an IDN sale has been made, and the domain has not been transferred and there is no other evidence or details available anywhere else, it can lead to suspicion of sales hype. Even if a legitimate offer was made and accepted, if a deal should "fall through," that could also create a negative impact, so I'd be cautious to post any sale prematurely.

I also see that gammascalper was the first to post a congratulatory message for this sale, and I was curious to know how gammascalper got the news first. Was there a post somewhere else, or did I miss something?

I've no doubts that the sale is legitimate, the 10k price is a bargain. Only not too long ago i made a wild thought if i made a 50k offer to the owner of tokyo.com, would he sell?

gammascalper
4th March 2006, 02:41 PM
I've no doubts that the sale is legitimate, the 10k price is a bargain. Only not too long ago i made a wild thought if i made a 50k offer to the owner of tokyo.com, would he sell?

Agreed -- bargain.

I've e-mailed him a couple of times -- no replies. He knows what he's got.

touchring
4th March 2006, 02:44 PM
Agreed -- bargain.

I've e-mailed him a couple of times -- no replies. He knows what he's got.

My god, he's going to be spammed if the news goes onto DNJ!! :p

Rubber Duck
4th March 2006, 02:48 PM
My god, he's going to be spammed if the news goes onto DNJ!! :p

Yes, I have a full time job at the moment just deleting messages to keep my inboxes clear! And I ain't got a domain for sale any more.

blastfromthepast
4th March 2006, 02:50 PM
Anyone know if donwebcorleone made his 100man yen sale?

"As an example, i called today this guy who owns a medium size bookstore to sell him one of my IDN in 100 man yen (like $8500 dollars) and well we are gonna meet on saturday. he owns a .com but the name is in alphabet and is very crappy, so i offer him my IDN because it is more interesting and more appealing to the eye (some kanjis are chosen not because of the meaning but because they are easy to read or its drawing pattern means something abstractal or implies a positive feeling, well hard to explain some aspects of japanese language but i think u know what i mean from your chinese knowledge). The same i did with another store that sells CDs, i called to offer an IDN which i admit i picked it up on purpose to sell to any store in this area of Tokyo that is famous for underground music and sale of CDs, and well again these guys showed interested, because the kanjis i chose were a combination of music and underground in japanese that is easy to read and sounds quite cool for young people. "

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/681-i-found-great-idns-%22offline%22-stupid-simple-but-effective.html?highlight=todai

sarcle
4th March 2006, 02:51 PM
There was a 'SOLD' tag on Dave's post at DNF.

Sarcle was first to do the congratulations. He made his congratulatory post 12 hours after Dave's edited timestamp... so the 'news' was old even by that time.

Yes, I was going over the threads and I noticed the that sold was posted. I really couldn't believe it at first but then the realization sunk in that we have finally hit the big time with this sale.

Congrats Dave.

idnowner
4th March 2006, 03:05 PM

I agree that 10K is a bargain for the domain. And I know Dave's reputation is nothing less than top-notch professional. But I know other people, especially new people to the forum, will want to see details. And I will be very pleased to see the sale listed in DNJournal. I also know that I have previously accepted offers for domains, only to have the buyer back out, and I'd just hate to see that situation happen with this sale.

My opinion of the sale was that the domain sold for a very good price (very good for the buyer). It is, however, the first Japanese IDN, that I know of, that sold for $10K - and it is a .net, so, in my opinion, it is a significant sale (and perhaps milestone), especially considering that many people are still unsure about the future of IDNs.

If I owned the dot-COM, I would certainly turn down a 50K offer. I have never been a big fan of .net names, although, I have no idea how popular and valuable they would be in other countries - especailly considering the possible application of dname for IDN.IDN implementation.

By the way, I would have a word to Dave about this sale. I hope the word is correct (please tell me if I got it right) ... www.おめでとうございます.com

thefabfive
4th March 2006, 03:12 PM
Congratulations, Dave. The current landrush going on won't stay a secret with this news out there. Good news for all!

Drewbert
4th March 2006, 04:05 PM
If I owned the .com, I'd turn down a _500k_ offer without hesitation.

touchring
4th March 2006, 04:25 PM
If I owned the .com, I'd turn down a _500k_ offer without hesitation.

Wow! I won't dare to claim i would myself ........... :)

Drewbert
4th March 2006, 04:30 PM
I got a $nnnn offer on a domain the other day, and accused the person of suffering from decimal point placement confusion syndrome.

idnowner
4th March 2006, 04:33 PM
I got a $nnnn offer on a domain the other day, ...

Was it an IDN? If so, was it also a dot-com? Japanese Kanji?

Drewbert
4th March 2006, 04:41 PM
Nope, but it's a good line to use for lowball offers :^)

jose
4th March 2006, 07:33 PM
Great, inspired by Dave, I just registered tóquio.net (Tokio.net in Portuguese/Brasilian)

thegenius1
4th March 2006, 07:49 PM
I got a $nnnn offer on a domain the other day, and accused the person of suffering from decimal point placement confusion syndrome.

Funny you say that i recieved a hi $$$ offer on 江戸.com today , i had to respond with H E Doulbe Hockey Stick NO ! But i like your line

passengerpigeon
4th March 2006, 07:53 PM
i can really feel the buzz surrounding idn now: i posted something to the dnforum just mentioning IDN as an aside, and I had two PMs there asking if I wanted to sell some of them...

Olney
5th March 2006, 12:03 AM
Congratulations Dave
Great huge Sale.
I guess the fee to DNF was worth it huh?

Since you were the first to step up

I'm just wondering how long should I hold Kyoto.com???

You just made me a mint man...

Rubber Duck
5th March 2006, 06:19 AM
Congratulations Dave
Great huge Sale.
I guess the fee to DNF was worth it huh?

Since you were the first to step up

I'm just wondering how long should I hold Kyoto.com???

You just made me a mint man...

I would say hold it at least until someone comes up with 50 Big Ones. That is where a 10K dot net puts a dot com. This is all about Benchmarking and the Bench has just risen a good deal!

OldIDNer
5th March 2006, 04:01 PM
I made a little post about it on my IDN blog.

Looking forward to reading about the sale on DNjournal.

Again, congrats.

Rubber Duck
5th March 2006, 04:45 PM
Yes,

Things are getting pretty hot. Had an approach this afternoon, from what I think was the PRC. Wanted a Chinese Province in dot com!

I made a little post about it on my IDN blog.

Looking forward to reading about the sale on DNjournal.

Again, congrats.

Explorer
5th March 2006, 05:29 PM
Hmmm...if SanFrancisco.com is "earning" $2 million per year, how much could Tokyo.com earn? :-) And then put a multiple on it :-) Is it possible that 500K figure is still conservative?

Rubber Duck
5th March 2006, 05:49 PM
Hmmm...if SanFrancisco.com is "earning" $2 million per year, how much could Tokyo.com earn? :-) And then put a multiple on it :-) Is it possible that 500K figure is still conservative?

I would think longer-term 東京Tokyo.com would be worth around $20Million in 2006 dollars. The problem is that currently there are no significant earnings to use as basis for calculating Capital Value and there is not much in the way of transactions to benchmark against. Nobody is ever going to walk into a market with $20Million when no transaction of $20K has ever been achieved. Investor confidence has to be built in stages. To achieve that some good domains will have to be sacrificed to the market. Tokyo.net was the first, by no means the last, but the next benchmark level will be higher!

I have been advised that とうきょう.com may only be worth 1% of what 東京.com. Well if it is it will still turn out to be very valuable.

Giant
5th March 2006, 06:40 PM
Congradulations! Very good news Dave.

Rubber Duck
5th March 2006, 06:53 PM
Congradulations! Very good news Dave.

Thanks, I also got an enquiry on a Province from a 365 web address this afternoon. Don't know whether he will bite or not as the asking is substantial, but still interesting to get direct enquiries from the PRC.

Giant
5th March 2006, 08:05 PM
Thanks, I also got an enquiry on a Province from a 365 web address this afternoon. Don't know whether he will bite or not as the asking is substantial, but still interesting to get direct enquiries from the PRC.

I have sold some to the PRC already. Be patient, they will buy, their offers are as good as anywhere else's.

Rubber Duck
7th March 2006, 08:20 PM
It is probably too late for DNJournal this week, but for those you still interested if you Whois

xn--1lqs71d.net 東京 Tokyo

All should now be revealed.

sarcle
7th March 2006, 08:22 PM
It is probably too late for DNJournal this week, but for those you still interested if you Whois

xn--1lqs71d.net 東京 Tokyo

All should now be revealed.

Congrats Dave and Congrats Bill for a great buy/sell.

gammascalper
7th March 2006, 08:25 PM
Yes, grats to both.

I would be extremely psyched to own that name!

OldIDNer
7th March 2006, 08:26 PM
well done, congrats to both of you

touchring
7th March 2006, 08:37 PM
Great buy. :-)

g
7th March 2006, 10:10 PM
congratulations on the sale dave :)

great news

alex
8th March 2006, 07:12 AM
A belated congratulations. This is great news for all of us. :)

Rubber Duck
11th March 2006, 04:39 PM
Just to update all on outcome of this transaction.

All proceeds were wired direct to Domainsite.com avoiding fees and charges. The net amount available to register or renew domains is there the whole $10K!

thegenius1
11th March 2006, 08:39 PM

All proceeds were wired direct to Domainsite.com avoiding fees and charges. The net amount available to register or renew domains is there the whole $10K!

I hope you negotiaded a nice deal with them for making such a large deposit, they should give you some sort of perk, t-shirt or something lol,, congrats

IDNCowboy
11th March 2006, 09:24 PM

u still gotta pay tax tho :P so the gov't always gets a piece of the pie :-(

Rubber Duck
11th March 2006, 11:02 PM
u still gotta pay tax tho :P so the gov't always gets a piece of the pie :-(

But not on this bit. This goes against accrued capital gains allowances when the Company was set up!

IDNCowboy
11th March 2006, 11:10 PM
But not on this bit. This goes against accrued capital gains allowances when the Company was set up!
Right but isn't this considered capital gains?

Rubber Duck
11th March 2006, 11:17 PM
Right but isn't this considered capital gains?

I sold domains into the Company in two tax years when the company was set up. So I have a loan of something like $30K due back from the company which is exempt from Tax. Of course I am going to end up paying loads of Tax, but only at Corporation Tax Level for a small company for the immediate future. After that we shall have to start looking at other options..

Nothing can be moved as easily as domains, and there is little on Gods earth that is so difficult to put a value on!