PDA

View Full Version : If IDN take off quickly, will the portfolio buyers swoop in early?

Edwin
4th March 2006, 11:42 AM
It's pure speculation right now, of course, but it will be interesting to see whether buyers materialise (solicited or unsolicited) for entire IDN portfolios early in the game, or whether we're going to have to wait until IE7 is well established, there's competition in the parking space and serious revenue flows to see the consolidators step in.

It occurs to me that a deep-pocketed buyer with sufficient foresight and imagination could scoop up major portfolios for pennies on the dollar of what they might be worth 3-5 years from now, simply because with a few exceptions the revenues aren't there yet. Of course, offers based on revenue made today would get laughed out of the room, but I imagine quite a few folks with larger portfolios would at least seriously consider offers in the multi-hundred-dollar/domain range.

Of course, the door isn't shut on decent reg fee registrations (and won't be for a while yet) but it's inching towards closure with every passing hour, as the DomainSite stats show... http://www.webhosting.info/registrars/reports/total_domains/DOMAINSITE.COM (not suggesting ALL their regs are IDN, but I'd bet that at least 90% of them have been recently).

Rubber Duck
4th March 2006, 12:02 PM
Jesus, that is huge! Those stats are telling me that they have done nearly 20K domains in the last week, even before that much of their volume was IDN.

Domainsite is now fastest growing registrar on the Planet. Its growth is now exceeding that of the CNNIC registry which itself is pretty stellar! No wonder they sent Owen down to find out what was going on!

idnceo
4th March 2006, 01:08 PM
well i sold all my list of available domains and 2 of my registered ones, because i need it money to keep buying, but certainly i found a lot of guys interested. That was easy money.

gammascalper
4th March 2006, 04:55 PM
Many of us here have a good idea of who has what as well as size and quality.

I think investors coming off the street would have a harder time figuring that out, unless they put in some hours/days reading through the threads. Maybe I'm wrong, but these wouldn't seem like the type of players to post in the "wanted" section.

How do they find us?

Rubber Duck
4th March 2006, 05:10 PM
Well even if I was offered $3M bucks tomorrow which would be somewhere around $1,000 per name, I would stick with the portfolio, because I know that is potentially worth a lot more than that!

gammascalper
4th March 2006, 05:14 PM
Well even if I was offered $3M bucks tomorrow which would be somewhere around £1,000 per name, I would stick with the portfolio, because I know that is potentially worth a lot more than that!

Agreed....

Drewbert
4th March 2006, 05:19 PM
Damn straight.

Olney
5th March 2006, 07:47 AM
By the end of the day I'll probably own about 250 to 300 Japanese IDN domains.
I want to sell a few but I've bought so many theme based Japanese IDN domains it's hard to pick.
So instead I started registering more today just to sell & realized I just made my portfolio that much better & don't want to sell those either too quick...

This sux...

Rubber Duck
5th March 2006, 07:55 AM
By the end of the day I'll probably own about 250 to 300 Japanese IDN domains.
I want to sell a few but I've bought so many theme based Japanese IDN domains it's hard to pick.
So instead I started registering more today just to sell & realized I just made my portfolio that much better & don't want to sell those either too quick...

This sux...

The only thing you are going to regret is not selling your Grandmother to get in deeper earlier!

Actually, the clever play would be to sell your Japanese to buy Chinese. The reason for this is that the Chinese secondary market will probably take off more slowly than Japanese, but will eventually be far more valuable. You will effectively be able to sell dear, buy cheap but effectively trade up at the same time! As with everything else timing will be everything. If you could sell Kyoto and buy Shanghai, it has to be a good move!

touchring
5th March 2006, 08:15 AM
上海.com or Shanghai is not for sale, nyc.com guy owns it, and i asked him about it - i think he got it from someone else cheap sometime ago - he acted before i had the chance .... :-(

Shanghai.com would eventually be more valuable than Tokyo.com, especially when the character is the same in all Kanji, Simplified and Traditional Chinese.

Rubber Duck
5th March 2006, 08:29 AM
上海.com or Shanghai is not for sale, nyc.com guy owns it, and i asked him about it - i think he got it from someone else cheap sometime ago - he acted before i had the chance .... :-(

Shanghai.com would eventually be more valuable than Tokyo.com, especially when the character is the same in all Kanji, Simplified and Traditional Chinese.

Generally speaking, everything is for sale it is just a question of price.

Tokyo.com hit $500K on the Hypothetical Domain exchanges yesterday. If those kind of figures were converted into hard deals, then there is not much that could not be made available!

touchring
5th March 2006, 08:56 AM
Generally speaking, everything is for sale it is just a question of price.

Tokyo.com hit $500K on the Hypothetical Domain exchanges yesterday. If those kind of figures were converted into hard deals, then there is not much that could not be made available!

It believe tokyo.com is worth $500K....

Rubber Duck
5th March 2006, 09:02 AM
It believe tokyo.com is worth $500K....

Well, I have just put this on at DNForum for US$20K. Its starting to look cheap!

xn--7rv214h.com 関東 Kanto

touchring
5th March 2006, 09:10 AM

Here's Shanghai's prime residential XuJiaHui district in the late 1980s around the time of the Tiananmen Massacre (Capitalist reforms just started). Shanghai then looks like it was stuck in the 1920s (the Japanese campaign in China started in the 1930s):

http://wangjianshuo.com/archives/20060112_old_shanghai_vs_current_shanghai.htm

Here's the 2003's Xujiahui 15 years later:

http://wangjianshuo.com/archives/20030811_shanghai_scenery_around_xujiahui.htm

You can extrapolate where Shanghai will be in 2020....

bwhhisc
5th March 2006, 10:27 AM
Those photographs are amazing for a 15 year period!

Rubber Duck
5th March 2006, 10:40 AM
Those photographs are amazing for a 15 year period!

Yes, I really should get there to see the place for myself. I am sure when I get back prices will have tripled!