PDA

View Full Version : US OVT Multiplier for foreign words?

jacksonm
2nd August 2007, 01:51 PM
What is your estimate about the traffic multiplier for foreign words (arabic, chinese, etc) which are searched on US OVT because they don't have their own OVT system?

touchring
2nd August 2007, 02:22 PM
What is your estimate about the traffic multiplier for foreign words (arabic, chinese, etc) which are searched on US OVT because they don't have their own OVT system?

Without going into the multiple itself, for chinese, it is tricky, because i noticed that chinese words that are the same for both trad and simpl. chinese tend to have significantly much higher US OVT. Yahoo.com.tw is quite strong in Taiwan, so naturally Yahoo.com will get some of the traffic, whereas for China, they use Baidu.com.

Rubber Duck
2nd August 2007, 02:27 PM
I never look at Overture.

domainguru
2nd August 2007, 03:00 PM
It depends on what % of the search market Yahoo! has in each individual country.

scotty
2nd August 2007, 03:22 PM
I think we're over complicating this. % share of market that Yahoo has/fact that IE7 not widespread in market etc shouldn't matter.

A great domain is a great domain so you can check what level of overture it produces and gauge other domains against it (ie "oh yeah, I've got 50 domains that are index 32 against the benchmark domain and 1 that is 149")

None of my domains are great so I can't test this but if someone who has a premium term like "beijing.com" in Chinese characters parks it and notes number of uniques they get at Silverclicks per month = x (type-ins); and then they check the US overture for chinese character "beijing" = y - then we know overture y gives uniques x, which becomes a benchmark to gauge other terms and their overtures against

the real question is how many multiples of x will IDN ever achieve? :confused:

jose
2nd August 2007, 04:47 PM
We never reached a conclusion about this, despite having been discussed broadly in here.

Check here: http://www.idnforums.com/forums/6358-should-we-trust-ovt-or-gt.html

I have found many terms with huge OVT and zero Google trends and the opposite. Go figure it out.
Korean IDN domains are a big example where you don't get much google trends.

domainguru
3rd August 2007, 08:34 AM
I think we're over complicating this. % share of market that Yahoo has/fact that IE7 not widespread in market etc shouldn't matter.

A great domain is a great domain so you can check what level of overture it produces and gauge other domains against it (ie "oh yeah, I've got 50 domains that are index 32 against the benchmark domain and 1 that is 149")

None of my domains are great so I can't test this but if someone who has a premium term like "beijing.com" in Chinese characters parks it and notes number of uniques they get at Silverclicks per month = x (type-ins); and then they check the US overture for chinese character "beijing" = y - then we know overture y gives uniques x, which becomes a benchmark to gauge other terms and their overtures against

the real question is how many multiples of x will IDN ever achieve? :confused:

But what you are saying only works within one language/market. For markets where Yahoo! is a favoured search tool, results will be much higher than markets where Yahoo! is a dead duck (sorry RD!) and Google or another search engine dominates (Russia, China).

In Japan, Yahoo! is huge. In Thailand, it only accounts for about 1% of searches. So you simply cannot make comparisons unless you have some idea of market share ....

scotty
3rd August 2007, 12:01 PM
But what you are saying only works within one language/market. For markets where Yahoo! is a favoured search tool, results will be much higher than markets where Yahoo! is a dead duck (sorry RD!) and Google or another search engine dominates (Russia, China).

In Japan, Yahoo! is huge. In Thailand, it only accounts for about 1% of searches. So you simply cannot make comparisons unless you have some idea of market share ....

I disagree. You still don't need th know or pay regard to Yahoo market share in the specific location. The only important thing is that you don't assume that eg a Japanese domain with OVT x is of the same value as a Chinese domain with the same OVT.

The point is even if hardly anyone uses Yahoo in a geographic area, you can still use OVT to benchmark that country's IDN terms since all the IDN will "suffer" equally proportionately.

domainguru
3rd August 2007, 12:17 PM
I disagree. You still don't need th know or pay regard to Yahoo market share in the specific location. The only important thing is that you don't assume that eg a Japanese domain with OVT x is of the same value as a Chinese domain with the same OVT.

The point is even if hardly anyone uses Yahoo in a geographic area, you can still use OVT to benchmark that country's IDN terms since all the IDN will "suffer" equally proportionately.

Yes exactly, like I said, "what you are saying only works within one language/market". You can only compare accurately within a market, not across markets ....