PDA

View Full Version : Be prepared on what to expect ahead?

touchring
7th August 2007, 03:48 AM
1. IE7 or firefox market saturation (>90%) - 4 to 5 years at least.
2. End of economic cycle - end of US easy housing credit. UK housing bubble cracking. Japan economy slowing. China under inflation threat.
3. Google PPC squeeze - Note: this is more painful than point 2 for domainers.

Things don't look good in the short to medium term, as guru said, if only humans can hibernate. :)

jacksonm
7th August 2007, 06:33 AM
3. Google PPC squeeze.

WTF are you talking about? Links?

Olney
7th August 2007, 06:35 AM
WTF are you talking about? Links?

Google will charge Advertisers more & pay Publishers less.
I'm glad international markets can compete & still have time to create competitive solutions.

rhys
7th August 2007, 06:48 AM
I'd say that about 60-70% IE7 or FF is all you need. We'll get there in 3 year on the outside.

jacksonm
7th August 2007, 06:51 AM
Google will charge Advertisers more & pay Publishers less.

Without references this is little more than random speculation.

touchring
7th August 2007, 07:03 AM
I'd say that about 60-70% IE7 or FF is all you need. We'll get there in 3 year on the outside.

About that if Microsoft does auto-update by this year. ;)

xxbossmanxx
7th August 2007, 07:04 AM
If it's true this is another reason why I hate google adsense. They always figure out a way to screw good advertisers. They know that for every serious guy there is, there are 100 small timers that will fill their places.

I bet google has about 200 million in unpaid cash sitting simply because the small timers that signed up never actually hit the 100 dollar minimum.

We never speak about adbrite, anybody have any experience with them?

touchring
7th August 2007, 07:07 AM
Without references this is little more than random speculation.

I really hope to come out with a study, but it would be like doing a master thesis, PPC fluctuates up and down like the weather, but if you ask advertisers if they earned more PPC in 2004 than today, it will be an astounding yes.

Recently, i've changed my strategy to work more on real promotion (even offline) and customer retention, instead of just replying on free traffic from Google or deep link exchanges that don't yield real traffic.

It's tough, it's daunting, but better to work on this now than to get a big shock later. Those of u who who did websites before Google, like Edwin, will have the experience to do real web marketing. Any thoughts to share? :)

jacksonm
7th August 2007, 07:51 AM
I really hope to come out with a study, but it would be like doing a master thesis, PPC fluctuates up and down like the weather, but if you ask advertisers if they earned more PPC in 2004 than today, it will be an astounding yes.

The only reason for that is because Google allowed arbitrageurs to rule the roost for more than 2.5 years so Google could build their capital. Google cut them off right at the point where the advertisers were really starting to complain about it, but Google did milk that cow for all it was worth. Now that we are 2 months after the arb purge, ppc rates should theoretically be increasing again. This isn't a big problem for Japanese sites, though - I have seen very few companies in Japan running arb (livedoor, internal).

Edwin
7th August 2007, 07:57 AM
It's tough, it's daunting, but better to work on this now than to get a big shock later. Those of u who who did websites before Google, like Edwin, will have the experience to do real web marketing. Any thoughts to share? :)

Well, incoming links are a big part of the web promotion picture. I put a site together a few years back on the topic, and it's probably just as valid today as it was then... http://www.incominglinks.com/

Basically, if you know your on-page SEO stuff perfectly, and build sensible intra-site links, theme your content well (biggest theme, smaller sub-theme, smallest sub-sub-theme) and get some on-target incoming links to both your front page and your most important "biggest theme" pages then there's no reason why you can't rank well with the SEs, but the biggest side benefit to getting decent incoming links is while one or two links may not mean much in the way of traffic, hundreds or thousands of links can, over time, contribute a huge number of visitors, even if each link is only sending over a tiny number each day...

xxbossmanxx
7th August 2007, 08:07 AM
Themed content edwin? So lets say if I sold shoes, do you mean the main theme is the content talking about shoes then the sub would be say socks and shoe polish?

Edwin
7th August 2007, 08:12 AM
Themed content edwin? So lets say if I sold shoes, do you mean the main theme is the content talking about shoes then the sub would be say socks and shoe polish?

A better example might be:-

Shoes
->Boots
-->Leather Boots
--->Red Leather Boots
--->Black Leather Boots
->Trainers
-->Nike Trainers
-->Reebok Trainers
Socks
->Cotton Socks
-->Patterned Socks
-->Plain Socks
->Tights
-->Sheer Tights
-->Fishnet Tights
Shoe Polish
etc.

Not the only way to do it, but certainly a widely accepted way of structuring a site so that it makes the most "sense" to the search engines. Try googling "theme pyramid" for more information - there's tons of it around :)

blastfromthepast
7th August 2007, 09:08 AM
Wait, wait. I thought I kept hearing this was ready set match?!?!

And now you say the carburetter is going to take 3 more years to get fixed??!?!

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/5451/motoringhp2.jpg