PDA

View Full Version : Arabic Domain Discussion moved

mwbseiso
7th August 2007, 08:56 PM
This is a nice domain. It also is frequently used in Arabic (though not officially an Arabic word). If I could afford to, I would buy it...

g
7th August 2007, 10:42 PM
This is a nice domain. It also is frequently used in Arabic (though not officially an Arabic word). If I could afford to, I would buy it...

you are talking about another IDN :) ....14 million $$ name .....lol

about this one , arab are not able to type it using an arabic keyboard

mwbseiso
8th August 2007, 12:34 AM
Ha! I guess I was fooled since they looked identical. Interesting to know that Farsi and Arabic use entirely different alphabets (though I knew some letters are different, I did not realize they had an entirely different character set...) This is not the case with some other languages.

jose
8th August 2007, 01:06 AM
mwbseiso: How can we trust your judgments anylonger?

When you say:
Ha! I guess I was fooled since they looked identical. Interesting to know that Farsi and Arabic use entirely different alphabets (though I knew some letters are different, I did not realize they had an entirely different character set...) This is not the case with some other languages.

You are admiting you had no clue whatsoever on what that IDN meant before.
So, how could you have posted this:

mwbseiso
8th August 2007, 01:19 AM
mwbseiso: How can we trust your judgments anylonger?
Whoa! Let's cool off! I am not one who likes fights and personal accusations. I feel, perhaps a little bit of a personal problem? (hint: http://www.idnforums.com/forums/12522-russian-fast-sale-partii.html) If so, please PM me and let's resolve this. For the record, I did send jose a PM saying that I was unaware of any "way of doing things here" and offered my humble apology for publicly making users aware of what a certain domain really meant.

Now, being a NATIVE speaker of Russian AND Arabic, you have absolutely no right of saying that "I have no clue whatsoever" of what an IDN meant.

Now, look closely: سکس and سكس. Can YOU tell me which one is which? (for the record, the first is Farsi, the last one is Arabic). I initially said that this is a nice domain and that the same word is also used in Arabic. Later, I am corrected and told that this is actually using Farsi characters and not Arabic characters. So immediately afterwards I respond acknowledging the correction. Now, my assumption that the two languages were using the same character set is not entirely out of place because there ARE languages that use one character set. Take Russian and Ukrainian, for instance. These two languages are different enough from each other and have different alphabets. Nonetheless, if you type a Ukrainian IDN using Russian characters you still get the Ukrainian word because these characters are shared across the two languages. Need I say more?

Jose, let's keep the forum clean and not accuse each other... Especially if this is stemming from a personal issue. If you have a personal problem with me, PM me.

jose
8th August 2007, 01:35 AM
Now, look closely: سکس and سكس. Can YOU tell me which one is which?

I can tell they are different.

I initially said that this is a nice domain and that the same word is also used in Arabic.

You speak Arabic and can't distinguish a non Arabic letter on a non Arabic word?

About the personal issue, I don't have a personal issue with you, I was just worried other members would took your comments as authoritary and decide based on that. As you know, trust and reputation are key issues here and thus a newbie member need to prove it deserves it. Me and other members can and should post any questions and doubts to test your knowledge everytime a doubt arises.

mwbseiso
8th August 2007, 01:49 AM
I can tell they are different.
In that case I must admit that you have a special talent, because both words can easily be interpreted as an Arabic letter. Have you ever heard of fonts? Well, Arabic happens to be one of the most complex languages with respect to scripts and fonts... Check this (http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Arabic.html) for just a tiny sample. If you present both versions to any native Arabic speaker, I guarantee you 100% that they will tell you both can plausibly be Arabic.

If you are telling me that the middle letter "k" with a space below it ( ـکـ ) is exclusively a Farsi "k" whereas the middle letter "k" with no space below it ( ـكـ ) is exclusively an Arabic letter "k", then you have just proven that you are not entirely familiar with either language... My friend, these two letters (from a linguistic standpoint) are interchangeable. The thing that I learned today is that they are entirely different UNICODE characters.

Jose,

By all means please do post any questions... That's sort of the purpose of having a forum. You don't need me to tell you that.

jose
8th August 2007, 02:08 AM
(...) you have just proven that you are not entirely familiar with either language...

I don't. I never said I did. But me, and all other members, like to be 100% certain on who to deposit trust on translations. g is our authority on IDN Arabic domains.
Maybe you can be one, one day, 1000 posts after today. Time will tell.

Check my post #4 in here:
http://www.idnforums.com/forums/6759-arabic-confirmation-translation-help-appraisals-and-tips.html

mwbseiso
8th August 2007, 02:19 AM
I will end this by thanking everyone for bearing with this debate. I will PM Jose with my responses to spare you the details.

blastfromthepast
8th August 2007, 03:10 AM
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/7448/sexwp9.jpg

Yes.

Now, being a NATIVE speaker of Russian AND Arabic

There are very few people who are native speakers of Russian and Arabic, it is interesting to know how you came to know both languages.

mwbseiso
8th August 2007, 03:34 AM
blastfromthepast, I would like to first thank you for taking a screenshot in the above quote. This potentially brings up an interesting issue - Arabic / Farsi characters are rendering differently on different machines. I can assure you that the way they are rendered in the last quote is faulty, since the letters appear in their "loose letter" form (as opposed to connected). Arabic speakers, please share your thoughts and voice your view, so that it does not appear that I am making up my own rules... For everyone's reference, this is the way they are rendered (properly) on my machine:

First image...
http://www.come2jordan.com/ebaypics/ss1.jpg

Second image...
http://www.come2jordan.com/ebaypics/ss2.jpg

Arabic (and I am pretty sure Farsi, but cannot confirm) does not allow for words to consist of letters in their "loose" form. All letters must be connected (except for letters like و ر د ذ and a couple of others).

There are very few people who are native speakers of Russian and Arabic, it is interesting to know how you came to know both languages.
I am a dual citizen of Jordan and Russia. My mother is Russian and my father is Jordanian. I was born in Jordan and travelled to Russia where I have many relatives every year. I finished high school in the USA, but I spent my first 16 years attending Arabic day school and Russian evening school. You may be surprised to know that there are 30,000 Russians living in Jordan (a country of about 4,500,000 people). That's at least 30,000 people in one Arab country who speak both languages.

Now, some people may unfortunately question the validity and truthfulness of any of the above. I hate to release my name and information, but I feel that I must do so for the sake of establishing credibility. Here are a few links...

(1) http://www.linkedin.com/in/bseiso - my professional profile (you have to login)
(2) http://www.colby.edu/russian/tusovka/september_02.doc - newsletter from my alma mater that mentions my name and the fact that I speak Russian
(3) http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22mahdi+bseiso%22 - Google results. All of them are re: me.

Satisfied?

jacksonm
8th August 2007, 06:38 AM
What we obviously have here is a problem of arabic and farsi fonts rendering very differently on different people's machines. I don't speak arabic and even I can understand that arabic fonts are complex due to their need to morph shape depending on adjacent letters.

We have seen these problems before about arabic fonts on this forum, at least one thread which I pointed out some dots below a letter or similar. We will likely see these problems with arabic and farsi again until we are all using the same arabic font on the same version of the same operating system.

And just because a person is an arabic speaker doesn't mean that he/she is competent with farsi.

ala101
8th August 2007, 02:37 PM
oh!
why fighting mwbseiso ?! thats not fair at all! Specially with this kind of members who is familiar with several languages and has a good experience that appeared at Arabic Fast Sale - partI (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/12396-arabic-fast-sale-parti.html)

Both words are written in Arabic fonts ..
But there is an issue here,
in Arabic we have lots of fonts (different hand-writing ways)

سكس : (xn--ygba1c) is written in Annasikh Font which is commonly used on pcs and on Internet
سکس : (xn--ygba76a) is also written in the same font , and it is also considered as Farsi font, which is one of the main fonts used in Arabic and in Farsi.
This one (سکس)( xn--ygba76a) is written more commonly by Arab than (سكس ) (xn--ygba1c)

but (xn--ygba1c) is unicoded as Arabic charset, while (xn--ygba76a) is unicoded as Persian charset..
That's it !

DavyBUK
8th August 2007, 02:50 PM
I should point out that this is the part of the thread that was broken away from my sales thread...In case anyone is confused by how it starts off ! :)

mwbseiso
8th August 2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the support, ala101. :)

I guess I'm not unhappy about the whole debate... That's one of the purposes of having a forum: raising issues, concerns, etc. and answering them. As long as we all remain civil, it's great.

I think the most important lessons learned from this thread are:
1) Arabic fonts render differently on different machines (incorrectly on some, and correctly on others)

2) Farsi and Arabic, though sharing many letters, have their own unicode charsets.

Thanks to everyone for participating in this constructive discussion.