PDA

View Full Version : Which webtools to use to value a chinese IDN? Baidu.com?

idnceo
5th March 2006, 03:57 PM
Hi!

im registering chinese IDNs everyday but i dont know really which are the best webtools to value chinese keywords. I check several portals like baidu and google china and see the search results, and I also use Overture HK; but honestly I dont see so much the point to use HK or Taiwan overture or search engines since their living standards and habits are different than mainland China, though i still check them. I also receive the help of a chinese native speaker and thats helping me a lot to save me time in translations or guessing if a word is hot or not in China, but i still wonder which tools are better.

So can someone tell me which overture or other webtools are the best ones to value keywords in China? Thanks!

bramiozo
5th March 2006, 04:03 PM
You may want to use iask.com, besides search results it also gives the english translation if it's available.

Rubber Duck
5th March 2006, 04:42 PM
Hi!

im registering chinese IDNs everyday but i dont know really which are the best webtools to value chinese keywords. I check several portals like baidu and google china and see the search results, and I also use Overture HK; but honestly I dont see so much the point to use HK or Taiwan overture or search engines since their living standards and habits are different than mainland China, though i still check them. I also receive the help of a chinese native speaker and thats helping me a lot to save me time in translations or guessing if a word is hot or not in China, but i still wonder which tools are better.

So can someone tell me which overture or other webtools are the best ones to value keywords in China? Thanks!

I am actually using Google.cn Adwords as a key indicator at the moment. If you have 3 adverts or more, chances are it is pretty hot. Advantage is that it is fast easy to use and pretty reliable.

touchring
5th March 2006, 06:48 PM
US OVT is fairly accurate for simplified and traditional chinese. Good words got US OVT exceeding 100, terrific ones >500 (these are very rare).

kenne
5th March 2006, 07:02 PM
Interesting, I just tried US ovt. None of my professional terms ever got beyond 50.

computer in simplified get 300; "mobile" in simplified get 300; adult terms get about 300; "sex" get 3000

So use that to calibrate.

touchring
5th March 2006, 07:09 PM
Interesting, I just tried US ovt. None of my professional terms ever got beyond 50; but adult terms get about 300...

So use that to calibrate.

Some professional terms do get more than 100:

旗袍 127
防毒 123
精油 108

Major cities also score more than 100:

上海 882
成都 339
苏州 302
杭州 301
宜蘭 132 -> this is traditional chinese, city in Taiwan, for comparison, TW OVT is 51926
花蓮 103 -> this is traditional chinese, city in Taiwan, for comparison, TW OVT is 67237

For comparison US OVT score for Tokyo:

東京 277

Rubber Duck
5th March 2006, 07:11 PM
Yes, to put this into context, try searching on US Overture on this term, then try and work out where it comes from or what it means.

ಕಂಪ್ಯೂಟರ್

kenne
5th March 2006, 07:19 PM
also:

東京 got 277
simplified version of tokyo got 55

I love ovt (should I reg it in symbols?)

touchring
5th March 2006, 07:24 PM
also:

東京 got 277
simplified version of tokyo got 55

I love ovt (should I reg it in symbols?)

The traditional version is also the kanji version. Bottomline is: average keywords got at least some US OVT, although the exact figure fluctuates significantly from mth to mth.

idnceo
6th March 2006, 01:08 AM
Hi!

Yumi, you are a mainland china domainer, which webtools and search engines u like to use or u trust a lot for stats? Do u also use US OVT? :confused:

yumi
6th March 2006, 01:38 AM
No.I want to use US OVT.But it's not very helpful.I tried many hot words, a little US OVT,even zero!It's funny.
My tools:
1.My feeling and sense.Hot word in our life is good.
Such as 宝贝(means baby,darling,treasure),热门(means"in great demand;popular"),畅销(means"sell well")
2.search the word on google,number of results will be considered.
3.search adverts

idnceo
6th March 2006, 02:43 AM
Thanks! Yumi and everyone. I hope we all are right about US OVT but honestly i feel thats also like if i search for japanese keywords on US OVT. But anyway, if you all say US OVT, i will follow the advice. Thanks again!

holycow
7th March 2006, 06:00 AM
Just wondering, what's everyone's view on .NET with high US OVT? I came across a couple of generic terms with US OVT > 300, but they are all .NET. Some of these terms are Trad, but most are Simplified... Is it worth it?

touchring
7th March 2006, 06:25 AM
If they are primary terms, .net might also be valuable in the future, you can check idnclub to see what people registered from their signature.

Rubber Duck
7th March 2006, 06:31 AM
Just wondering, what's everyone's view on .NET with high US OVT? I came across a couple of generic terms with US OVT > 300, but they are all .NET. Some of these terms are Trad, but most are Simplified... Is it worth it?

If it is really that hot, say worth $100,000K, then dot net is going to be 10-20% of that value. If we are talknig about shelling out 10 bucks for a new reg, that would seem to be an acceptable ROI.

jose
7th March 2006, 01:22 PM
I would say you can't go wrong with ovt bids since they are based on real sentences entered by real people running the ad campaigns.

However I don't trust OV bids anymore. Yesterday, on OV Spain, I was getting unexpected great results for a very uncommon word for car + rent in Spanish. It turns out it was the OV system replacing my car word with the very common car Spanish word "coche" and sending the bids! Damn. Too good I know Spanish.

Be aware of OV synonymous replacements!