PDA

View Full Version : Sick of these squares?

mwbseiso
11th August 2007, 07:18 PM
I am sure I am not the only one experiencing this, but every once in a while I come across an IDN that displays square characters within it when opened in a browser. What is the fix to get around this issue? Anyone?

IDNCowboy
11th August 2007, 07:24 PM
I am sure I am not the only one experiencing this, but every once in a while I come across an IDN that displays square characters within it when opened in a browser. What is the fix to get around this issue? Anyone?
install the korean/chinese language pack if you just have the japanese one and vice versa

mwbseiso
11th August 2007, 07:50 PM
I actually have Chinese, Korean, and Japanese. The problem is with symbols and some other odd characters, not entire languages.

xxbossmanxx
11th August 2007, 07:51 PM
You need to also look at what font pak you surf with. Some fonts dont cover much of the unicode range. There is a unicode font that covers most and a couple other fonts that have greater range coverage.

I used to toy with this stuff when I had symbol domains, could not see most of them under standard default fonts.

mwbseiso
11th August 2007, 08:35 PM
Hmm. This helps, I'll toy around with that. Thanks so much.

Edwin
11th August 2007, 10:43 PM
It's a clue, though. If your default setup shows squares rather than the characters in question, people with a similar setup won't be able to see those characters either. In other words, if the characters rely on the installation of a particular optional font pack, they're not much use...

mwbseiso
11th August 2007, 11:15 PM
Edwin, I agree with you. I was thinking about that. Nevertheless, if a character that appears on my screen as a square is actually a letter in a different language, they ought to have it appear on those machines by default. For example, in the cyrillic version of the Kazakh word for "Kazakhstan" both "k"s appear as squares on my machine, which I am sure does not happen in Kazakhstan...

xxbossmanxx
11th August 2007, 11:38 PM
This is a great resource

http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/index.html

What I used to do is load the range up and then swap fonts until the char showed.