PDA

View Full Version : OVT Question

mwbseiso
12th August 2007, 07:19 AM
Does anyone have any good threshold value for Arabic OVT? What about Russian OVT? Korean OVT? Many thanks!

(clarification: by "threshold", I am referring to a minimum OVT value that I should aim for)

jacksonm
12th August 2007, 07:45 AM
Does anyone have any good threshold value for Arabic OVT? What about Russian OVT? Korean OVT? Many thanks!

(clarification: by "threshold", I am referring to a minimum OVT value that I should aim for)

You see, that was sort of the point of my poll on the left side of this page :-)

domainguru
12th August 2007, 07:52 AM
You see, that was sort of the point of my poll on the left side of this page :-)

Except that as discussed, and as mwbseiso implied in his post, a single number won't suffice, it has to relate to the individual OVT markets.

yanni
12th August 2007, 01:21 PM
Russian and Arabic: Anything that moves.

Korean I'm not sure. Been a long time since I searched for any of these.

sunsei21
12th August 2007, 02:14 PM
500k ovt any language :)

domainguru
12th August 2007, 02:20 PM
500k ovt any language :)

Well based on that criteria, no Thai IDNs would ever be worth registering, and I'm sure the same for several other languages. (Sound of head banging against a brick wall....)

sunsei21
12th August 2007, 02:44 PM
yes i fear i missed the boat as well guess i take whats left :)

mwbseiso
12th August 2007, 03:06 PM
I would think for Arabic, an OVT of 1k is pretty good... 500k? Wow.

For Russian, I was thinking perhaps 75k - 100k?

Rubber Duck
12th August 2007, 03:11 PM
Overture is Yahoo's view on a market.

Yahoo's view of markets they have barely managed to get a toe through the door is frankly of little interest.

bwhhisc
12th August 2007, 03:26 PM
I would think for Arabic, an OVT of 1k is pretty good... 500k? Wow. For Russian, I was thinking perhaps 75k - 100k?

I think OVT for sex.com (idn) is 95,000 currently if that gives you any indication of range for Arabic.
It seems most of the available words are in the hundreds as far as ovt goes, but any ovt "might" be a good sign.

yanni
13th August 2007, 09:39 AM
I would think for Arabic, an OVT of 1k is pretty good... 500k? Wow.

500k ovt you may find in Japanese and Korean. But that shouldn't really be your benchmark if you're hand-regging at this point of the game.

For Russian, I was thinking perhaps 75k - 100k?

Have you seen any? sex in russian gives 10K; games around 7k
Work your way down from there. Most terms are in the 200-500 range

Asiaplay
13th August 2007, 02:13 PM
Hi there,

I really think it counts on what the domains (IDNs) will be used for... namely not always should the rule be a certain or minimum level of overt.

Namely if it is just hits for adsense or similar earnings - then the higher the better.
However if you are promoting a specific business area, then it is more relevant as I see it, to have the highest overt keyword(s) / term(s), which are related to that specific business area (than a high ranking unrelated overt which will come with something like "I" or "and").

Often this means overts of as low as 5000 for some languages - but I would still argue that if you are wanting a position in that specific business area, then this is not necessarily a bad overt.

People here have discussed the idea, that overts between 40'000 and 100,000 could perhaps always be superior (as it is easier to end up on page one of search engines compared to very high overts).

So look for quality of the keyword (and how well it is the category top word in an industry in which can be commercially strong for a certain language) - rather than just very high overts.

Just some thoughts - Asiaplay.

PS: my lowest overt is around 5000 and I aim for 40,000 or above where possible (namely where a relevant commercially sensible keyword exists, the higher the better - but so far I am not investing for adsense, so always look at quality of keyword verse overt as the key buy reason).

mwbseiso
13th August 2007, 03:57 PM
Hey, thanks to everyone for the feedback!

It seems most of the available words are in the hundreds as far as ovt goes, but any ovt "might" be a good sign.
From the little time I spent toying around with Arabic names, I also feel the same way... Of course, this can't be made a "rule".

For Russian, I was thinking perhaps 75k - 100k
Have you seen any? sex in russian gives 10K; games around 7k
Work your way down from there. Most terms are in the 200-500 range
Hmm. What do you do to get your OVT for russian words? I think that we're probably getting different values because we use different tools. I use yandex OVT, and that's where I've seen OVTs as high as 400,000 for Russian words. Most are in the x,xxx range there.

Cheers,

M

thefabfive
13th August 2007, 04:06 PM
Hmm. What do you do to get your OVT for russian words? I think that we're probably getting different values because we use different tools. I use yandex OVT, and that's where I've seen OVTs as high as 400,000 for Russian words. Most are in the x,xxx range there.
We tend to distinguish between Overture and Wordstat.Yandex. Most people here consider Russian Ovt to be US Ovt of Russian words.

mwbseiso
13th August 2007, 04:17 PM
That's good to know!

I was referred to "Russian OVT" by a member here (don't remember who, but that doesn't matter anyway).

M

yanni
13th August 2007, 06:54 PM
Let's not get confused:

Ovt is overture and Yandex is well, Yandex. Two different things.
My reference to Russian above was US overture as there is no Russian one.

mwbseiso
13th August 2007, 08:02 PM
Let's not get confused
I guess this (http://www.idnforums.com/forums/12413-a-couple-of-questions-from-a-newbie.html) is what caused my confusion. I stand corrected now. :)

yanni
13th August 2007, 10:42 PM
I see now.

Yes, the rule of course is to use Wordstat for Russian domains. Of course, always check us overture as well to confirm it's a decent term if it gets any score.

Also the ovt tool is helpful to see if your keyword gets score stand-alone. If it doesn't (but has results with another word or more) it may very well be a possesive form of some sort, as wordstat sometimes will give you a high score for such a term all by itself and it may be worthless.

Always good to double-chek anyways :)