PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is a premium IDN domain?

Olney
6th March 2006, 08:47 AM
This word is used so much now it really is like overkill.
I'd really like to know what you guys think is a premium Domain?

For example
1 word
1 kanji
How much ovt results?
How much for a ovt bid
Dictionary term?

Is it an extension?

I'm sure that my personal portfolio has warped my sense of what is good & what's not.
I'm sure 1 year from now we will not be finding the kinds of domains we find now..

But what is Premium? Is there anything better?

blastfromthepast
6th March 2006, 08:48 AM
Typeable, one character, recognizable world-wide, viewable world-wide, brandable, symbol domains, with no technical issues.

touchring
6th March 2006, 08:53 AM
Something like the following:

不動産
保険
クレジットカード
ローン
ホテル

Rubber Duck
6th March 2006, 08:55 AM
Typeable, one character, recognizable world-wide, viewable world-wide, brandable, symbol domains, with no technical issues.

These are clearly important attributes and that narrows it down largely to characters that are IANA reserved.

I think, however, the keyword should have MEANING, and that implies to as wide a market as possible, but it must also have COMMERCIAL application. In other words it must relate clearly to Goods or Services that generate huge amounts of income.

blastfromthepast
6th March 2006, 09:26 AM
Exactly. That's why I said, brandable. Look at the Apple symbol. Or the Nike swoosh. That's an example of where a symbol has replaced words, which is very convenient in the international market. So, meaning is often infused by advertising. But thats in the long term. Something like €.eu would be valuable today.

Other than that, yes, city names, country names.

Rubber Duck
6th March 2006, 09:31 AM
Exactly. That's why I said, brandable. Look at the Apple symbol. Or the Nike swoosh. That's an example of where a symbol has replaced words, which is very convenient in the international market.

Other than that, yes, city names, country names.

Yes, but you cannot type either of these symbols. They are also Trademarks. The one thing I forgot to mention was Generic. Brandable is a rather meaningless concept in a way because anything reasonably short can be branded if you throw enough money at it. If it is already branded then of course the value goes down.

In my view Symbol investors are taking an Anglo-Centric view of the market. The real winners will have a Sino-Centric perpective.

City and Country names are valuable as they are Generic, Meaningful and have huge Commerical potential.

Olney
6th March 2006, 10:11 AM
Anyone want to add any benchmarks?
If this was the regular domain world
What actually would be a high overture?
What would be a high Bid Rate...

I'm easily still finding simple Japanese terms at max $5 & $6 bid rates.

kenne
6th March 2006, 05:02 PM
We are at a stage where we need an appraisal service based on some of these valuation principles.

1. The appraisal service should be composed of members that have specialties in different languages, and at least 2 members each.

2. The score should be explained on how they score on different criterias. idnforum can confer a "idnforum premium" if
it passes certain inspection.

3. The judges should be compensated somehow, maybe not now, but in future if their workload becomes heavy.
Or the judgeship should be rotated. Judges should avoid judging their own IDNs.

Or should we let the market decide for itself?

idnowner
6th March 2006, 05:55 PM
Generally, a "premium domain" (IDN or otherwise), is, but not limited to, a word, phrase, acronym or category description that is commonly used and would be desirable/in-demand by many people and/or companies as a main web address, or such a generic description that attracts a significant amount of type-in traffic and should have a long "shelf life" (something that should be popular or commonly used for a long time). As they relate to IDNs, I would guess the .com would be the best (especially if associated with the IDN.IDN / DNAME version), followed by the ccTLD version.

rhys
6th March 2006, 06:13 PM

I would add that in Japanese it would be a single common use keyword (meaning single,double, or triple kanji, hiragana, or katakana) in either .jp or .com extensions possessing obvious commercial use.

I won't give an OVT threshold because it is just a poor substitute by itself without knowing the relationship of Japanese type-in traffic to OVT on the various extensions which we will only understand fully in a couple of years past IE7 launch. Obviously though if a domain meets the criteria above and has an OVT greater than 100K, I think it is rockin'!

As Blast said, no technical issues should exist on the domain to qualify as "premium".

touchring
6th March 2006, 06:21 PM
You can assume that 5% of all browsers used in Japan can access IDN, so traffic will be expect to increase 20 times?

Rubber Duck
6th March 2006, 06:23 PM
You can assume that 5% of all browsers used in Japan can access IDN, so traffic will be expect to increase 20 times?

You haven't even factored in content and awareness. So 20 times is a very low end estimate. I would expect traffic to be a 1000 times its current level at least!

Drewbert
6th March 2006, 06:36 PM
Apremium domain is one that gets bucketloads of traffic after ie7 is spread and users get used to typing their own script into domain names.

Noobs will be the first to do it, because the old users would have tried it years ago and found it didn't work and got used to using latin instead.

rhys
6th March 2006, 06:54 PM
Apremium domain is one that gets bucketloads of traffic after ie7 is spread and users get used to typing their own script into domain names.

Noobs will be the first to do it, because the old users would have tried it years ago and found it didn't work and got used to using latin instead.

Here is a fine distinction we need to make. In Japan at least, no one ever "got used to latin" - they just don't type in. Period. Instead they make extensive use of bookmarks and yahoo-like category directories. If it was a question of getting people off of a habit of english type-in to a habit of type-in to their native language, I would be out buying my dream home now. The real question is can we get back those users who are accustomed to clicking-to-navigate instead of typing-to-navigate in a reasonable time-frame?

Olney and Big Dave need not bother replying emphatically "Yes They Will" as we already have discussed this extensively in the past. I think more and more that the answer is "yes" they will start typing in but Japanese companies have to help us significantly by promoting their branded IDN domains and getting the word out in the next year.

You haven't even factored in content and awareness. So 20 times is a very low end estimate. I would expect traffic to be a 1000 times its current level at least!

Agree with Dave on this one, the relationship will not be a linear one, it will be exponential. The ones with the IDN-capable browsers today don't type-in because many are not aware they can do this. Even if they did, there aren't that many sites up today to make it worthwhile. We need the Japanese companies to step up to the bat in due course with both site development and promotion.

idnceo
7th March 2006, 03:15 AM
if a premium IDN is an one word domain, how many premium domains exist? Just for fun, I would say there are 6 kinds, like in a domain pyramid in which the levels are crap, okay, good, great, gem and premium domain. I would say not every city is a premium, not every generic is a premium. Japan, Tokyo and Osaka are the premium japanese city words, Yokohama or Kyoto are gems, Fukuoka or Sapporo are great, Nagasaki is very good, etc. Yokohama or Kyoto are awesome, but you cant place them on the same level than the one who owns Tokyo or Japan.com The same with generics, travel.com is the premium one, airtickets or hotels are gems...

I would say there are not more than 150 premium japanese IDN. I wouldnt say over 100K in OVT makes a keyword a premium, over 700K sound like a premium domain for me but obviously this not a rule. I have a long but long list of keywords with over 100K and for me that doesnt make them premium, they are great but not premium. Whatever, if someone thinks his X keyword is a premium domain, then there is nothing we cant do to change his mind. :rolleyes:

Olney
7th March 2006, 03:35 AM
Hey you guys have a great idea
An official appraisal section to actually post as a

1. Premium Domain (5Star)
2. Gem (4Star)
3. Great (3star)
4. Good (2star)
5. so/so (1star)

Perhaps we can make a system only one appraisal per day
Maybe a poll system one domain only allowed at a time?

Since we have a lot of members that are actually fluent in the language this can be a really good system of value. Is it premium, Is it a Gem, Is it Great, Is it just good, or last would be OK.

I thought about it for a minute & maybe a star system would be great. With preference being taken on comments by those fluent in the language.
I don't think linking back here will fly on DNF but it will be a good reference to have.

kenne
7th March 2006, 04:35 AM
5 star system is nice, but I'm afraid of causing too much argument back and forth.

So maybe it's better to have something that's completely objective. If that's possible.

1. Is this domain correct?
2. Is this domain generic? If so, either product/service/brandable
3. Does this domain have a gotcha in a particular language, that significantly impact its value or increase the risk in its investment?
I'm thinking of a sex related domain in arabic, or gambling related domain in simplified Chinese.

That's to validate a domain. To actually grade the domain, we will need a formula that's actually accepted in the marketplace. But the marketplace is not here yet.

jose
7th March 2006, 05:40 AM
I would say you can't go wrong with ovt bids since they are based on real sentences entered by real people running the ad campaigns.

However I don't trust OV bids anymore. Yesterday, on OV Spain, I was getting unexpected great results for a very uncommon word for car + rent in Spanish. It turns out it was the OV system replacing my car word with the very common car Spanish word "coche" and sending the bids! Damn. Too good I know Spanish.

Be aware of OV synonymous replacements!

Drewbert
7th March 2006, 06:34 AM
Yeah. Whoever decided to do spell correction and synonyms at Overture is a plonker.

Oh, and please make sure "premium" doesn't have the same meaning as it does at eBay domain auctions.

Same goes for "rare" too.

Rubber Duck
7th March 2006, 06:36 AM
Yeah. Whoever decided to do spell correction and synonyms at Overture is a plonker.

Oh, and please make sure "premium" doesn't have the same meaning as it does at eBay domain auctions.

Same goes for "rare" too.

Do serious domainers really spend time at Ebay?

Olney
7th March 2006, 07:46 AM
I'd really like to propose a sort of ban on the use of those terms
Premium IDN
Rare IDN

Unless we can have an appraisal subforum where members actually vote to see if it goes to Premium Status...

For Me the ones like
Dave's Beer.com & 金.com are premium & Rare

Anyone mind if I try at create a subappraisal forum for this?
If it doesn't work out we'll scrap it but it just shows real validated value...
People will be able to post one thread per day & make have to make a Poll
Rare
Premium
Gem
Great
Good

Most people will participate that would want their IDNs rated (I believe).

Rubber Duck
7th March 2006, 08:09 AM
I'd really like to propose a sort of ban on the use of those terms
Premium IDN
Rare IDN

Unless we can have an appraisal subforum where members actually vote to see if it goes to Premium Status...

For Me the ones like
Dave's Beer.com & 金.com are premium & Rare

Rare
Premium
Gem
Great
Good

Premium really only means it is worth more than reg fee. Gem means that is pretty, but it value is little more than ornamental. Rare is bollocks as by definition, there is only one of each. Good is too general to be meaningful and the term great has been badly eroded by a well known domain broker.

idnceo
7th March 2006, 10:26 AM
Rare
Premium
Gem
Great
Good

I like the idea of rating domains on appraisals just to hear the rate IDNF. give them as we are all in the IDN boat. Maybe 1 -10 among us, it is not so objective but whatever better than to hear all those fancy words as u say, rare domain for sale, premium domain for sale, etc. But u have to put something below good if you use "words" for rating -rare, gem, good... because some registered domains are really bad. I wouldnt give a "good" to some domain just because thats the lowest i can rate it. I like 1-10 so i give a 1 to some to domains i think are worthless. We will need eventuall to have a "hall of shame", just to have some fun on a humor area in the forum.

Olney, try to do it and lets see. A rating is better than a comment that i can interpret differently. Someone says my domain is 7/10 thats good. Someone says my domain is great, so how great is great? i can interpret it so many different ways. u know what i mean.

Rubber Duck
7th March 2006, 10:33 AM
Yes, I agree this wouild be good. A general reference descriptive something like the old Bowfort Scale might help to standardise things a bit. You would know you are are in trouble if the smoke was going straight up!

I like the idea of rating domains on appraisals just to hear the rate IDNF. give them as we are all in the IDN boat. Maybe 1 -10 among us, it is not so objective but whatever better than to hear all those fancy words as u say, rare domain for sale, premium domain for sale, etc. But u have to put something below good if you use "words" for rating -rare, gem, good... because some registered domains are really bad. I wouldnt give a "good" to some domain just because thats the lowest i can rate it. I like 1-10 so i give a 1 to some to domains i think are worthless. We will need eventuall to have a "hall of shame", just to have some fun on a humor area in the forum.

Olney, try to do it and lets see. A rating is better than a comment that i can interpret differently. Someone says my domain is 7/10 thats good. Someone says my domain is great, so how great is great? i can interpret it so many different ways. u know what i mean.

bwhhisc
7th March 2006, 10:35 AM
I agree with idnceo that a 1-10 system is better. Gives more range and certainly easier to grasp.

Also a comment on EBAY- there are a lot of interested domainers over there looking at IDNs, but don't have much knowledge. Posting a sale at EBAY can also act as an infomercial for IDNs and a chance to say "visit IDNForums" to learn more. The number of views there can be really large and there is a lot of people with a lot of money there. When IE7 begins to mature and IDNs take off in big numbers at EBAY (in particular international EBAYs) this market will be a force no doubt.

BEWARE at EBAY- I got my email account suspended by EBAY for inviting bidders on IDN auctions (via pm) over to IDNForums.

touchring
7th March 2006, 11:25 PM
The cc.com sold for $4000 or $3000?? Shows that it's possible to sell a worthless domain at ebay for big money.

thefabfive
7th March 2006, 11:31 PM
Also a comment on EBAY- there are a lot of interested domainers over there looking at IDNs, but don't have much knowledge. Posting a sale at EBAY can also act as an infomercial for IDNs and a chance to say "visit IDNForums" to learn more. The number of views there can be really large and there is a lot of people with a lot of money there. When IE7 begins to mature and take over EBAY (in particular international EBAYs) will be a force no doubt.

I agree, Bill. Many folks on eBay could use the information. A good auction/information/invitation page would bring alot of new members here and hopefully educate the less knowledgable about crap like 'cc.com'

GranttheKiwi
8th March 2006, 12:50 AM
I have been thinking about an ebay shopfront for IDN's all week and would be interested in working with Olney to set up an ebay store for the forum to sell the IDNFORUM'S members IDN's at fixed prices.

I am thinking:

A membership fee - a few dollars from interested parties to assist with development costs

Brokerage fees for the sale would be payable at a small % of the sale (given ebay listing and commission fees) - success fees only?

I could also draw up an appropriate contract for listers (being a lawyer does come in handy every now and again) - no obligation to list, fees payable up front, agent only...

...and buyers - i.e All efforts have been made to verify the accuracy of the IDN translation, buyer buys at own risk, payment terms, IDNForums as agent only, no representations, no warranties etc...

Minimise listings - more of a great domains than a SEDO feel - it's important not to flog off crap for the reputation of IDN's - otherwise we'll all have worthless portfolio's.

We list, members sell. Good advertising for the forum and buyers would no doubt directly come to IDNFORUM's second time around

Verified listing data would be important, i.e exact translations for liability purposes.

I would be happy to go this alone, but Olney if you would be interested in partnering with me on this with the support of the forum members that would be better.

Olney, would you be interested in working with me on this?

I'm personally of the view that this idea should be kept open rather than PM'd between members so everyone can comment. Let me know what you think.

Giant
8th March 2006, 01:30 AM
A very good idea!

GranttheKiwi
8th March 2006, 01:54 AM
Just realised this is a bit off topic - I am starting a new thread called "Ebay" for comments to preserve this thread.