PDA

View Full Version : Florida Real Estate

Rubber Duck
15th August 2007, 06:45 AM
I remember 6 month ago having a debate about Florida Real Estate with one of the top Domain "Experts" before being booted off his board. I said it was a bubble about to burst. He insisted that the only way is up. Well its seems the results are now in. I picked this up from Owen Frager's blog.

http://www.reuters.com/article/inDepthNews/idUSN1230248820070814?feedType=RSS&feedName=inDepthNews&rpc=22&sp=true

I think this proves that the man hasn't a clue what he is talking about when it come to Real Estate Investment. I somehow doubt he is really any closer to the mark in the Virtual Real Estate department either. At least the losers in his game have something tangible to point at!

jacksonm
15th August 2007, 07:16 AM
"many investors bought houses during the recent boom market without ever considering the long-term cost of holding properties."

Sound familiar?

Rubber Duck
15th August 2007, 07:20 AM
Yes, but then nobody invests in a property under the expectation that it is going to stand empty for 5 years whilst the incompetent utility companies tell never ending lies about their failure to connect up your property!

jacksonm
15th August 2007, 07:34 AM
Yes, but then nobody invests in a property under the expectation that it is going to stand empty for 5 years whilst the incompetent utility companies tell never ending lies about their failure to connect up your property!

They are connected. Search engines consider exact IDN matches for keyword searches just as relevant as they do for ascii domains (no big surprise there). I got 5599 Adsense impressions to a pair of domains yesterday. If that's not connected, then I don't know what is. To put it into perspective, this pair of domains (same com and jp) got an average of 5 visits a day at ND over a 4 month period.

Type-in is between 0.5 and 2% of potential traffic, a waste in any case. Of course if you own 200 domains which can generate $5 a day from type-in, then you might feel that this is enough cash for you and not develop. While people are waiting for IE7 to deploy so they can start to enjoy "type-in" traffic, they are losing by not developing today. And when the type-in traffic does come, it will make very, very few people rich IMO.

Rubber Duck
15th August 2007, 07:43 AM
It all depends whether you get Sandboxed or not.

I think this term "Sandbox" is a bit of a misnomer. I think newly indexed sites get a provisional rating before the Algos have really gone to work and assessed a sites true value. In most cases these provisional ratings are higher than long-term ratings.

In this case I think you have simply been re-rated by the Algos for Japanese Hosting. God knows how it is all sorted out. I would not be surprised if time to load is a factor that is taken into consideration. This too would give you a massive advantage.

The point is that even if in a few weeks this ends in failure, you will still out with a substantial profit, so it has to be worth attempting the experiment.

They are connected. Search engines consider exact IDN matches for keyword searches just as relevant as they do for ascii domains (no big surprise there). I got 5599 Adsense impressions to a pair of domains yesterday. If that's not connected, then I don't know what is. To put it into perspective, this pair of domains (same com and jp) got an average of 5 visits a day at ND over a 4 month period.

Type-in is between 0.5 and 2% of potential traffic, a waste in any case. Of course if you own 200 domains which can generate $5 a day from type-in, then you might feel that this is enough cash for you and not develop. While people are waiting for IE7 to deploy so they can start to enjoy "type-in" traffic, they are losing by not developing today. And when the type-in traffic does come, it will make very, very few people rich IMO.

jacksonm
15th August 2007, 07:58 AM
It all depends whether you get Sandboxed or not.

I think this term "Sandbox" is a bit of a misnomer. I think newly indexed sites get a provisional rating before the Algos have really gone to work and assessed a sites true value. In most cases these provisional ratings are higher than long-term ratings.

As I said before, this site was indexed at least a month before moving the hosting to Japan. I don't think there is any "new site" bonus in effect anymore, because I tried some things a few days ago to improve my ranking from 8 to well up, and yahoo kicked me to the curb - I wasn't even listed in the top 200 the next day. I took notice and reverted my changes, then I came back to spot 15 for a day and back to spot 9 the next day.

rhys
15th August 2007, 08:10 AM
So far the longevity of Japanese domain names on Y!.co.jp has been really impressive. Some things get beaten down, true, but on a couple of sites, I'm nearing close to a year on page 1.

touchring
15th August 2007, 09:09 AM
I remember 6 month ago having a debate about Florida Real Estate with one of the top Domain "Experts" before being booted off his board. I said it was a bubble about to burst. He insisted that the only way is up. Well its seems the results are now in. I picked this up from Owen Frager's blog.

http://www.reuters.com/article/inDepthNews/idUSN1230248820070814?feedType=RSS&feedName=inDepthNews&rpc=22&sp=true

I think this proves that the man hasn't a clue what he is talking about when it come to Real Estate Investment. I somehow doubt he is really any closer to the mark in the Virtual Real Estate department either. At least the losers in his game have something tangible to point at!

I think a lot of what you said a year ago about the economic wealth shift is coming true, it might sound crazy and somewhat impossible at that point in time, but now, if you look at it, it has become a possibility, because now we finally know that debt built prosperity is not sustainable in the long run. Even ownership of the printing press cannot ensure eternal prosperity if debt is allowed to grow unrestrained.

All those 2040 and 2050s timeline have been revised to 2025 to 2030 just based on what has happened the past 2 years.

I'm glad to have bought the city names from you, it will be a good hedge against my other portfolio. I only regret that i was late for chongqing.com. :o

Rubber Duck
15th August 2007, 06:11 PM
The crazy thing is that the short-term consequence of last weeks shake-out has been a stronger dollar, which will only exacerbate the US plight.

Go figure!