PDA

View Full Version : stippy discussion - Romaji is NOT a less popular alphabet. It is on equal footing ...

bramiozo
17th August 2007, 10:27 AM
Romaji is NOT a less popular alphabet. It is on equal footing with Kanji and Hiragana and Katakana. It is used profusely with advertising and brand development as well as introducing modern concepts, one of which is the internet.

Olney
17th August 2007, 10:57 AM
I felt the whole thing was just link bait guys that why I closed the thread.
Domaining as a whole is a business, it opens up new services, business, new ways of effective marketing to target users.
You can't take the average person's opinion about domaining seriously.
The point of view of a nonJapanese writing a blog catering to nonJapanese would be the same.
The point of view is "Are Japanese IDNs good for nonJapanese"
& that answer is, it's not necessary.

There are several Gaijin business owners who need to compete with other Japanese companies quickly grab up domains that relate to their business.

You guys should have quit when I closed the thread it's a waste of your time.
It's as constructive as pushing a rope.

Go into a community writing very old stats ask questions & continue to write old facts & stats. It's link bait to get you guys on a roll.

bramiozo
17th August 2007, 11:12 AM
This is claimed by one of the respondents;

Romaji is NOT a less popular alphabet. It is on equal footing with Kanji and Hiragana and Katakana. It is used profusely with advertising and brand development as well as introducing modern concepts, one of which is the internet.

Just how corrrect is this ?

Would be nice if a native japanese could continue the argument, I've said enough in there.

http://www.stippy.com/japan-tech/idn-double-byte-japanese-domain-names-2/

Rubber Duck
17th August 2007, 11:41 AM
Romanji is not an alphabet. It simply refers to Japanese Transliterated into Latin.

bramiozo
17th August 2007, 11:43 AM
There are some interesting things being said, for instance the ambiguity of romaji, what does it mean exactly ?

[romajiX] having 3 similar sounding kanji/hiragan/katakana combinations ?

If so they need a dropdown menu right, shouldn't that dropdown menu display the unicode options then ?

rhys
17th August 2007, 03:09 PM
I don't know what these guys are talking about with regards to the ambiguity of romaji. It just is what it is. Olney is right, they are not trying to have a balanced view of IDNs, they just want to say something extremely controversial to bait you guys into wasting your time over there and giving them content. Trust me, no one is as naturally stupid as that article presents the author to be.

blastfromthepast
17th August 2007, 03:46 PM
The point of view is "Are Japanese IDNs good for nonJapanese"
& that answer is, it's not necessary.

Yes, because some gaijin get really excited about Japanese kana and Chinese characters and even wear T-shirts with them!!! From what I hear, some of them are even buying Japanese and Chinese domains!

Check this old thread out:

American Animé fans have been quick to take advantage of IDN capability, putting up fan sites incorporating their favorite characters in the URL.

sailor月.com

http://www.idnforums.com/forums/7245-american-anime-fans-take-to-idns.html?highlight=anime+fans

I think some simple or vanity Chinese character domains will actually be bought by American kids for the coolness factor in the future.

jacksonm
17th August 2007, 03:49 PM
Trust me, no one is as naturally stupid as that article presents the author to be.

Especially not when there are IQ tests online to prove otherwise!

blastfromthepast
17th August 2007, 04:07 PM
Especially not when there are IQ tests online to prove otherwise!

Why are you always insulting my intelligence? You always think you are better than everyone else, do you have problems with people, I strongly suggest you get help. I have a genius IQ so don't pick on me and make me feel like I don't know what I am talking about. I want to participate on this forum, but you are the only one who is always ganging up on me! I am telling you again, don't bother me. Even my neighbors know I have a genius IQ and I can prove it too! Don't tell me not to post. You always making me feel like I am not so smart but I am genius. I have a notebook where I keep records of my achievements so that when my biography is written, it will be as easy as registering a new domain. Don't underestimate. I am a real genius. Just look at the number of posts I made here and my seller rating. Haha. Don't deny it takes real smarts and an uncommon intelligence to understand Japanese Romanji. Also please do not post replies mocking this message, or I will be crying and I need to concentrate to register more domains before bed time.

PS: I even have friends on this forum that feel the same way that you gang up on them unfairly.

© 2007 Blastfromthepast, please do not quote this post, or I trademark you.

jacksonm
17th August 2007, 04:27 PM
Why are you always insulting my intelligence? You always think you are better than everyone else, do you have problems with people, I strongly suggest you get help. I have a genius IQ so don't pick on me and make me feel like I don't know what I am talking about.

Blast, I'm afraid that you merely a legend in your own mind. But you are darned entertaining at times!

blastfromthepast
17th August 2007, 04:30 PM
Thats it, I trademark you.

Rubber Duck
17th August 2007, 05:06 PM
Trust me, no one is as naturally stupid as that article presents the author to be.

Not fair! I wanted to say that!:mad:

Why are you always insulting my intelligence? You always think you are better than everyone else, do you have problems with people, I strongly suggest you get help. I have a genius IQ so don't pick on me and make me feel like I don't know what I am talking about. I want to participate on this forum, but you are the only one who is always ganging up on me! I am telling you again, don't bother me. Even my neighbors know I have a genius IQ and I can prove it too! Don't tell me not to post. You always making me feel like I am not so smart but I am genius. I have a notebook where I keep records of my achievements so that when my biography is written, it will be as easy as registering a new domain. Don't underestimate. I am a real genius. Just look at the number of posts I made here and my seller rating. Haha. Don't deny it takes real smarts and an uncommon intelligence to understand Japanese Romanji. Also please do not post replies mocking this message, or I will be crying and I need to concentrate to register more domains before bed time.

PS: I even have friends on this forum that feel the same way that you gang up on them unfairly.

Blast, there is no doubt you probably have the highest IQ on the board, but you don't half get into some stupid arguments. 8)

blastfromthepast
17th August 2007, 05:12 PM
Point taken.

Let's get back to Romanji. I think domains like sailor月.com are a fascinating example. Think about it. Japanese have have used English in advertising for a coolness factor, and I see a lot of sports t-shirts in Boston with kana on them because of the Japanese baseball player here now.

Rubber Duck
17th August 2007, 05:16 PM
Point taken.

Let's get back to Romanji. I think domains like sailor月.com are a fascinating example. Think about it. Japanese have have used English in advertising for a coolness factor, and I see a lot of sports t-shirts in Boston with kana on them because of the Japanese baseball player here now.

Yes, but Romanji is not English. Romanji is Japanese in Latin characters. WTF is cool about that?

blastfromthepast
17th August 2007, 05:22 PM
It may not mean much to us, but Japanese girls jump up and down and get their wallets out when the see things like
Maison d’Amour
Vanilla Confusion

as brands. Even though they have no idea what it means sometimes, it looks foreign, European, or just cool and sophisticated.

To understand this, I think you should head over to your local Japanese market and pick up some Japanese fashion magazines. You'll see.

Rubber Duck
17th August 2007, 05:36 PM
Foreign language branding is big just about everywhere. Doesn't make the case for Romanji though.

It may not mean much to us, but Japanese girls jump up and down and get their wallets out when the see things like
Maison d’Amour
Vanilla Confusion

as brands. Even though they have no idea what it means sometimes, it looks foreign, European, or just cool and sophisticated.

To understand this, I think you should head over to your local Japanese market and pick up some Japanese fashion magazines. You'll see.

jacksonm
17th August 2007, 09:05 PM

Ao wrote:

"I do have a problem with real estate speculators. Just like you guys, they drive up prices to the point at which those who really need to buy real estate (or domain names) can’t afford them any more. And you walk away with a profit, having produced nothing and contributed nothing to society.

Just look at what real estate speculation has done to Shanghai. There are thousands and thousands of empty skyscraper apartment buildings. What a waste of money, time and human resources when regular people can barely afford to pay the rent on their shitty one bedroom apartment because speculation has driven the rent so high."

IDNCowboy
17th August 2007, 09:11 PM
from stippy about ICANN

They charge what the market can bear, and will sell you anything they can. .jp domain names for example, cost around 10 times more than .com ones, for no particular reason. Internationalized Domain Names are superficial eye candy, patched on top of a solid Internet foundation to lure short sighted consumers, with the proverbial corporate noose around their necks.

LOL... JPRS runs the .jp registry. Also IDN .jp's are actually less than .com... Whoever did this article christ.... just do some research.

mulligan
17th August 2007, 09:58 PM

Ao wrote:

"I do have a problem with real estate speculators. Just like you guys, they drive up prices to the point at which those who really need to buy real estate (or domain names) can’t afford them any more. And you walk away with a profit, having produced nothing and contributed nothing to society.

Just look at what real estate speculation has done to Shanghai. There are thousands and thousands of empty skyscraper apartment buildings. What a waste of money, time and human resources when regular people can barely afford to pay the rent on their shitty one bedroom apartment because speculation has driven the rent so high."
http://static.flickr.com/78/155733289_44299089e6.jpg

Edwin
18th August 2007, 12:17 AM
Can we please start referring to it as Romaji?

There's no "n" in Romaji!

The more people use "Romanji", the more I see others making the same mistake.

So, once again, there's no "n" in Romaji!

Thanks.

Wot
18th August 2007, 08:35 AM
I have the IQ rating of a lead baloon but nevertheless I can state categorically there is no "n" in Romanji. :)

Rubber Duck
18th August 2007, 03:20 PM
If you search Yahoo and ask it to return pages in Japanese for "Romaji" you get 363K.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?n=10&ei=utf-8&va_vt=any&vo_vt=any&ve_vt=any&vp_vt=any&vd=all&vst=0&vf=all&vm=p&fl=1&vl=lang_ja&fr=yfp-t-501&fp_ip=UK&p=romaji

If you then try all languages but search filtering for dot JP results 64K!

http://search.yahoo.com/search?n=10&ei=utf-8&va_vt=any&vo_vt=any&ve_vt=any&vp_vt=any&vd=all&vf=all&vm=p&fl=0&fr=yfp-t-501&fp_ip=UK&p=romaji+site:.jp

Equal status? Who does this tosser think he is kidding?

And as for the spelling perhaps you should check this out!

www.roomazi.org

bramiozo
18th August 2007, 06:43 PM
Especially in the last post (before my last response) I read the typical _I have an interest_ defense, giving a few thin arguments only to use it as an umbrella to bloat things like "it causes confusion amongst the consumers and it dilutes brands.

The arguments that were posted have some merit, a japanese tourist being unable to go to his favorite japanese idn's or foreigners being unable to visit japanese idn's when they see them in print. They are of marginal importance but they are valid.

Rubber Duck
18th August 2007, 08:18 PM
Not really, as most Japanese navigate by Search at the moment it would make very little difference whether they had an IDN address or not if they had no access to a Japanese keyboard. The way things seem to be going, it is likely that the tourist would access via his own mobile phone or laptop in a couple of years time.

I find it incredibly touching the concern these people show about how Asian will cope when they are abroad, when they don't seem to give a damned about how they access the Internet when at home!

Especially in the last post (before my last response) I read the typical _I have an interest_ defense, giving a few thin arguments only to use it as an umbrella to bloat things like "it causes confusion amongst the consumers and it dilutes brands.

The arguments that were posted have some merit, a japanese tourist being unable to go to his favorite japanese idn's or foreigners being unable to visit japanese idn's when they see them in print. They are of marginal importance but they are valid.

jacksonm
18th August 2007, 08:34 PM
I find it incredibly touching the concern these people show about how Asian will cope when they are abroad, when they don't seem to give a damned about how they access the Internet when at home!

I believe that their ever so slight mention of "brand dilution" carries more weight than one would initially suspect. People have vested business interests in certain names and don't want to see those names become naturally weakened - it means they need to get out their wallets (again) to both the property speculator and the marketing department. It also means they need to explain this to their shareholders. No, nobody can naturally be that stupid. These guys have vested interests.

http://www.quotedb.com/images/authors/mahatma_gandhi.jpg

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Mahatma Gandhi

I believe that we are entering into the "then they ridicule you" phase now. Stay tuned to ICANN for when the real fighting begins; I promise it will get ugly.

blastfromthepast
18th August 2007, 08:37 PM
Can we please start referring to it as Romaji?

There's no "n" in Romaji!

No. The Japanese make all sorts of adoptions to their own language, bastardizing English and other sources, and come up with hybrid words like Romaji.

In a similar manner, if we should adopt foreign words like Romaji, we should make them fit our own system.

In writing English, it makes sense to write ROMAN-ji, as we all know what the ROMAN alphabet and writing system is.

There is no ROMA writing system, and Roma in modern English refers to Gypsies not to Romans.

Therefore, show some respect to the Romans and lets keep using ROMANJI in English.

jacksonm
18th August 2007, 08:40 PM
No. The Japanese make all sorts of adoptions to their own language, bastardizing English and other sources, and come up with hybrid words Romaji.

In a similar manner, if we should adopt foreign words like Romaji, we should make them fit our own system.

In writing English, it makes sense to write ROMAN-ji, as we all know what the ROMAN alphabet and writing system is.

There is no ROMA writing system, and Roma in modern English refers to Gypsies not to Romans.

Therefore, show some respect to the Romans and lets keep using ROMANJI in English.

You da man, Dan!

I also think that 'romaji' should be called 'romanji' in english, so that's what I will intentionally use.

Rubber Duck
18th August 2007, 08:41 PM
The point is they have arrogantly assumed that their "generic brands"were going to conquer the World. They never were. There never was a mechanism by which this could ever happen. Not only do the names not relate to their would be customers, but the content they serve is not only impenetrable, but probably largely of little interest to their untargeted audience. There was only ever going to be a total impasse. They are going at some stage have to own up to the fact that they have mislead their shareholders all along. Of course they have the perfect excuse. Self-Delusionment!

blastfromthepast
18th August 2007, 09:07 PM
You da man, Dan!

I also think that 'romaji' should be called 'romanji' in english, so that's what I will intentionally use.

Scriptura Romana vivida valebit!

rhys
19th August 2007, 05:50 AM

LOL. Those two edge cases probably involve less than .01 percent of 1% of all Japanese traffic. I would open my fly and piss on the argument physically except I just already went to the bathroom.

Rubber Duck
19th August 2007, 06:21 AM
Yes, lets please start being intellectually honest and just refer to these people as Morons.

jacksonm
19th August 2007, 06:43 AM
Yes, lets please start being intellectually honest and just refer to these people as Morons.

Indeed they are.

I think "Blue" might actually be a sort of "e-pimp", and all the people posting on his site are doing so under an agreement for discounts for dates from his dating site since they likely can't get dates otherwise in Japan.

blastfromthepast
19th August 2007, 01:13 PM
Indeed they are.

I think "Blue" might actually be a sort of "e-pimp", and all the people posting on his site are doing so under an agreement for discounts for dates from his dating site since they likely can't get dates otherwise in Japan.

Well, I'm not particularly interested in dates in Japan, but what I am interested in is Japanese traffic free of freeloading foreigners in Japan who aren't likely to make a purchase online. Those targeting this group should use romanji domains, as market studies have shown that gaijin in Japan are highly resistant to Japanese domains. So, to keep junk gaijin traffic out of your site, use a Japanese domain. That is the conclusion that can be drawn.

blue
23rd August 2007, 03:50 PM
You people are incredibly sensitive about this. Like little schoolboys trying to show each other how big your biceps are, when in fact a three year old could put her thumb and little finger around them. If nothing else, the people commenting on stippy are serious, and they have something real to say (even the ones that are for IDNs, I hope for your sake some of those are from here) rather than the shit caught in this thread.

Indeed they are.

Rubber Duck
23rd August 2007, 05:26 PM
Well in that case, I suggest you get your serious information over there. Good-bye! :cool:

jacksonm
23rd August 2007, 05:50 PM
You people are incredibly sensitive about this. Like little schoolboys trying to show each other how big your biceps are, when in fact a three year old could put her thumb and little finger around them. If nothing else, the people commenting on stippy are serious, and they have something real to say (even the ones that are for IDNs, I hope for your sake some of those are from here) rather than the shit caught in this thread.

You know, I really should be more considerate to the man who has been buying my beer for the last few weeks, so I'll just remind you to be careful not to let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!

blastfromthepast
24th August 2007, 01:32 AM

Some of the comments are just classicly clueless:

“He’s just a parasite. Someone gaming the system for their own financial ends without providing a useful service to anyone, and making it worse for many.”

and

“If you don’t see anything wrong in the concept of “speculator”, I don’t think I can possibly explain it to you. It’s wrong and hurtful for so many people that it should be obvious to anyone.”

Newsflash: Speculation is any time you choose one path, good or service over another in the hopes that you will do better with it over time than you will the alternatives. Deciding to go to college and becoming an accountant instead of dropping out of high school and becoming a garbageman is speculating that over time, you will have a more secure, financially rewarding career as an accountant than as a garbageman (which may not be true).

The techno-pinkos hate it when they see the speculation of others pay off and compound their irrationality by denying that they ever partake in speculation themselves. Pretty well most productive endevours in life, including ALL investments are a form of speculation, get it over it.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/domain_speculation_attack_technopinkos/

Olney
24th August 2007, 02:14 AM
Blue most here are serious domain investors.
Some are paying their rent from their domain investments, some are buying new cars from their domain investments. Some are turning down offers now in the 4 to 5 figure ranges to wait for 2 to 5 years later. There are many that have spent 5 figures at least in IDNs, but many have made back the money.

No one wants to say everything that's going on. I'm certainly not to going to publicaly say "everything". I don't expect you, or your readers to ever buy a single IDN. If you business is looking long term & at the Japanese market, it's something to think about. I'm looking at Corporate Japan... That's who I focus on, that's the entities I can provide marketing data to.

It's a waste of time for one to ask for input & also completely use no of it.
Go to MuuMuu Domains, one of the biggest Japanese Domain services. You get an IDN.jp & the users never see Punycode at all. We have no influence on Japanese companies adding IDN compatibility, or services in 2007. These companies are doing this because they realize if there is browser compatibility, then IDNs will finally be used. That's why all of those Japanese companies bought them in 2001. Not to speculate, because it's just simple to remember for Japanese.

rhys
24th August 2007, 02:46 AM
Blue, I'm sorry to say, you earned the comments on this thread when you solicited our input and decided to deliberately ignore it and write a controversial piece instead in order to bait us to give you content for your site.

It's not a bad strategy as they go but it just didn't go over well over here.

touchring
24th August 2007, 03:06 AM
I took a quick look at the site, saw such postings. Well, waste of time to continue reading. :o

I do have a problem with real estate speculators. Just like you guys, they drive up prices to the point at which those who really need to buy real estate (or domain names) can’t afford them any more. And you walk away with a profit, having produced nothing and contributed nothing to society.

Just look at what real estate speculation has done to Shanghai. There are thousands and thousands of empty skyscraper apartment buildings. What a waste of money, time and human resources when regular people can barely afford to pay the rent on their shitty one bedroom apartment because speculation has driven the rent so high.

Rubber Duck
24th August 2007, 05:15 AM
Yes, sometimes you just have to face reality and switch off the life-support. Brain Dead!