PDA

View Full Version : Strange Situation

charley
24th August 2007, 10:36 AM
A name shows no whois[cannot be found] on any registrar and it shows registered on Dynadot. On Moniker when I tried the same, it shows available, so I try to register it, the next page shows not available.

So I backordered this name on Snapnames.

What is wrong and I know I am not drunk ?

mulligan
24th August 2007, 11:06 AM
If it's Chinese or Japanese then it's a variant error .. meaning the simplified or traditional equivalent has already been registered

mgrohan
24th August 2007, 11:28 AM
This happened/is happening to one of my domains.

Domainsite stuffed up on registering it. After weeks of trying to get through to their responsive customer service :rolleyes: , they fixed it up (so nameservers could be applied), by it is still showing as available available on domain search on whois shows no name.

charley
24th August 2007, 01:39 PM
If it's Chinese or Japanese then it's a variant error .. meaning the simplified or traditional equivalent has already been registered

This is the message I get i.e. for the com & net.

But then how does Moniker show available and then when I proceed to register, it shows unavailable. :confused:

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

No match for domain "XN--XXXXXXX.COM".

>>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 21:22:43 UTC <<<

mulligan
24th August 2007, 01:50 PM
PM me the name

L@@K
24th August 2007, 02:08 PM
Few days ago, I found in Whois a domain name with 2 registrars !
INCREDIBLE!!

For example:
name: xxx
registrar Godaddy
date: xxx

and under this traditionnal info, there were some others info (in the same whois, the same page):

registrar Dynadot

I can't remember which name it was (sh*t) , but I found it incredible !
One name, Two registrars !
I don't remember about dates, if they were different also...

Or maybe I miss something, but me too I was not drunk (1 or 2 spliff maybe but not alcohol, lol !)

- True story -

charley
24th August 2007, 05:58 PM
It still remains the same for both the net and com. Let's see if snapnames can get me.

IDNCowboy
24th August 2007, 06:32 PM
Few days ago, I found in Whois a domain name with 2 registrars !
INCREDIBLE!!

For example:
registrar Godaddy

and under this traditionnal info, there were some others info (in the same whois, the same page):

registrar Dynadot

I can't remember which name it was (sh*t) , but I found it incredible !
One name, Two registrars !
I don't remember about dates, if they were different also...

Or maybe I miss something, but me too I was not drunk (1 or 2 spliff maybe but not alcohol, lol !)

- True story -
Sometimes domainsite shows the cached version of the whois info of the old owner... when snapnames gets the name it will show the new info in the whois plus the old whois for 1-2 days.

L@@K
24th August 2007, 06:49 PM
So, it was not the spilff ? Pfff'

Thanks CowBoy.

Yes, i feel well it was a transfer or pending question, thanks for the precisions !

Drewbert
24th August 2007, 10:18 PM
The com and net registries are what they call "thin" registries.

All domain ownership details are kept by the Registrar and very little info is stored at the Registry (another reason to question recent price hikes).

Verisign knows what Registrar controls what domain name, and that database is updated when new Registrar takes control.

If you query the Registry WHOIS theoretically, you should be told the correct Registrar to go to for the correct information.

If you query a Registrar's WHOIS, if they don't follow the correct procedure you could be given outdated info. Especially if you use a Registrar who isn't even smart enough to remove domains from accounts after they are transferred out (HELLO DOMAINSITE).

jacksonm
24th August 2007, 10:50 PM
If you query a Registrar's WHOIS, if they don't follow the correct procedure you could be given outdated info. Especially if you use a Registrar who isn't even smart enough to remove domains from accounts after they are transferred out (HELLO DOMAINSITE).

This, among other things, is what has prompted me to stop using domainsite altogether. For example, they don't automatically update their whois database when a domain is pushed from domainsite account to another domainsite account - at least this has happened to me on several occasions. And their user interface had to be deliberately engineered to suck badly, because you simply can't suck that badly on accident.

I am transferring all names to dynadot as they near expiration in domainsite.

Giant
25th August 2007, 12:37 AM
This, among other things, is what has prompted me to stop using domainsite altogether. For example, they don't automatically update their whois database when a domain is pushed from domainsite account to another domainsite account - at least this has happened to me on several occasions. And their user interface had to be deliberately engineered to suck badly, because you simply can't suck that badly on accident.

DomainSite is the worst Registrar today (after RegisterFly). They try everything they can to steal your valuable domains. I am collecting proofs to sent to ICANN.

I have moved and will continue moving my valuable domains there to other Registrars. Don't do business with thieves.

sunsei21
25th August 2007, 01:30 AM
their user interface had to be deliberately engineered to suck badly, because you simply can't suck that badly on accident.

lol i was thinking that i was the only one that felt this way :)

Drewbert
25th August 2007, 05:26 AM
>because you simply can't suck that badly on accident.

Can I hear an AMEN! brother!

On speaking of sucking Network Solutions has apparently decided to take on the godaddy ( or is it enom) dirty trick of locking a domain for 60 days after the admin contact details are changed.

SO if you're about to transfer a name out of there just before it expires, do NOT change any of the WHOIS data prior to doing so, or they're lock it and force you to pay the renewal.

touchring
25th August 2007, 06:38 AM
DomainSite is the worst Registrar today (after RegisterFly). They try everything they can to steal your valuable domains. I am collecting proofs to sent to ICANN.

I have moved and will continue moving my valuable domains there to other Registrars. Don't do business with thieves.

Before they expire?

mulligan
25th August 2007, 06:49 AM

That's a fairly harsh accusation .. what have they stolen from you?

charley
25th August 2007, 07:30 AM
I don't get it , the situation remains the same today. The whois shows nothing. Moniker , shows available, when I click to register it shows unavailable.

This is really weird.

mulligan
25th August 2007, 07:54 AM
It's not weird, ICANN are probably keeping it for themselves because it's such a good name

Or maybe snapnames are keeping it and using a blank .jpg for the whois details ... you never know in this game !
??? http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5173/highressmileyrightuq7.jpg

charley
25th August 2007, 03:07 PM
The name is a really good one, yes.

But both the net and com show the same info.