PDA

View Full Version : Arabic

abram lincohen
26th August 2007, 03:22 PM
I forgot to mention that I have only . com and .net. for this domain. 150.000.000 google results is truly a lot for an arabic keyword at this time. Which one is more valuable(com or net), it's hard to tell. with general rejection of everything US in arabic world I can spot the general trend towards .net in arabic.. Although it can change, of course if US politics towards arabic countries would change, which is unlikely.

g
26th August 2007, 03:37 PM
.com is more valuable

the domain may worth from 2$-20,000$

it depends on the name itself .... google results alone doesn't mean anything

jacksonm
26th August 2007, 05:24 PM
I forgot to mention that I have only . com and .net. for this domain. 150.000.000 google results is truly a lot for an arabic keyword at this time. Which one is more valuable(com or net), it's hard to tell. with general rejection of everything US in arabic world I can spot the general trend towards .net in arabic.. Although it can change, of course if US politics towards arabic countries would change, which is unlikely.

Don't kid yourself, arabs love .com domains and only use .net as a second resort. Show statistics of a general trend towards .net in arabic or quit blowing smoke!

Rubber Duck
26th August 2007, 05:39 PM
Its about branding. The dot com brand could not be stronger in the US, so it is hardly surprising if it is not quite as dominant elsewhere. It is still top dog in Arabic, but it would seem that the Arabs are a little more pragmatic than the Americans.

My belief is that by the time you hit 1 Million domains in any registry the rest are pretty much junk. Perhaps you could argue about the threshold but this principle applies to dot com as much as it does to anything else. At 70 Million plus, you are having a laugh. Most of them have no more value than your average telephone number or car number plate.

abram lincohen
26th August 2007, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=Rubber Duck]Its about branding. TQUOTE]
Besides look at arabic trends. .net is very well accepted. Al-Jazeera uses.net as many others. You need to follow the trends. This thing is still evolving. This is why, when arabic, I register .com and .net.
Honestly, if I were an arab, I would not use .com as it is associated with US.
This might change in future but that's how it is now.

jacksonm
26th August 2007, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=Rubber Duck]Its about branding. TQUOTE]
Besides look at arabic trends. .net is very well accepted. Al-Jazeera uses.net as many others. You need to follow the trends. This thing is still evolving. This is why, when arabic, I register .com and .net.
Honestly, if I were an arab, I would not use .com as it is associated with US.
This might change in future but that's how it is now.

Al-Jazeera TV station begrudgingly uses .net. They tried to get the .com away from a british magazine in a court case, but it didn't fly.

http://www.dinarstandard.com/current/AlJazeera010306.htm

However, not a lot of people know about this and because Al-Jazeera.net is so famous, a lot of Arabs feel that .net isn't so bad. Dot Com is still king, though, and Al-Jazeera TV would switch to the .com in a minute if they could get it.

Rubber Duck
26th August 2007, 07:01 PM
I can tell you for certain that Arabic Dot Com traffic is a lot heavier for the same keywords than dot Net. I think dot net is more accepted in Arabic and it does get more traffic than some other languages.

mwbseiso
26th August 2007, 08:34 PM
I can tell you for certain that Arabic Dot Com traffic is a lot heavier for the same keywords than dot Net. I think dot net is more accepted in Arabic and it does get more traffic than some other languages.
I completely agree with Rubber Duck.

Fka200
26th August 2007, 09:58 PM
Don't kid yourself, arabs love .com domains and only use .net as a second resort. Show statistics of a general trend towards .net in arabic or quit blowing smoke!

Not true. After being in the Mid East for 2.5 months, .net absolutely has some power here. For me, in Arabic, .net + .com are somewhat leveled. Nothing like what I'm used to back in the U.S.

mwbseiso
26th August 2007, 11:49 PM
Not true. After being in the Mid East for 2.5 months, .net absolutely has some power here. For me, in Arabic, .net + .com are somewhat leveled. Nothing like what I'm used to back in the U.S.
I want to politely disagree. I lived in Jordan for 16 years, and can quite comfortably assert that .com is much more powerful in the Arab world. That said, .net is also widely used, but .com and .net are not even close to being on equal footing. My two cents.

burnsinternet
27th August 2007, 03:40 AM
If you have the dot com and dot net, you are safe.

I did not pursue that strategy with Arabic because I had no idea at the time if my regs were any good.

mwbseiso
27th August 2007, 04:18 AM
I did not pursue that strategy with Arabic because I had no idea at the time if my regs were any good.
Some of your Arabic ones are quite good. :)

burnsinternet
27th August 2007, 04:35 AM
Thanks, mwbseiso. It was mostly guesswork and some help from FKA and Ali. A very small, but potent list.