PDA

View Full Version : Shouldnt we sell first cheap IDNs on forums?

idnceo
7th March 2006, 03:48 AM
I was watching the astronomical prices that people are selling "premium" IDNs on DNForum, and i dont see the point. Why dont we begin to sell first IDNs that arent awesome but okay in the range of 1K to 5K $? That would increase the speed and number of sales of IDNs. I would like to see more threads saying IDN-SOLD than just to say threads with 0 comments.

Putting domains on sales with prices over 10K doesnt help much at all at this stage. If you have a good IDN that u want 20K or more for it, just dont sell it for now, if you have a IDN that you can sell in 1K to 5K, then put these ones on sale on DNForums, etc. I like what Yumi is doing, she is selling IDNs because her prices are reasonable, even when the domains are the best ones., but anyway thats why she doenst mind to sell those IDNs cheap. Im sure she keeps her very good ones, sell the others, and with that money she tries to buy better ones. better to have cheap sales of just regular normal IDNs- than not sales at all. Anyway my point is people "selling" "premium" IDNs on 10K or more, i think are just doing "threads" but not sales. That doesnt help.

Olney
7th March 2006, 04:31 AM
Yeah I'm a culprit but realisticly the members on DNF are investors who may not be up to speed on IDN domains in General (How to purchase quality of their own yet). We are almost half a year advanced in trial & error buys.
Those members may want a valiety, some want low buys. Most of my portfolio will sell high. My next move is a few in the $1,000 range but it's really hard to choose.

I don't bother registering things in Japanese I think aren't worth more than $500 to $1,000.

I think I'll put up a few dot nets soon.

Actually I forsee more problems over there in the beginning because there's no structure, rules, or knowledge yet on the other sites about IDN Domains.
They added sections without being actively involved in the market yet, no moderators, & also no one to actually see what's correct or not.

I think a lot of their members want them but also lots of their members are suddenly confused by them still...

Most of us didn't expect anyone to actually listen or notice for about a year.

bramiozo
7th March 2006, 08:37 AM
I was thinking low to mid $xxxx for now, I am looking to buy some of the names that are posted, for that opportunistic reason I accept it but I do think low $xxxx is better for the price development. We must not act in a rush, right now dnforum is flooded with idn keywords with prices differing from low $xxx to low $xxxxx.
It's like we are selling ferrari's by the dozen and we are not sure if they are worth 10kg's of lead or 10kg's of gold.

For now;
- no more bulk sales on dnforum, let them process what's up there.. more SOLD please..
- better price consistency, the prices are at certain level and the only way should be up, so don't overprice and for the sake of pricing precendence, don't underprice compared to your colleagues.

my 2 cents

mulligan
7th March 2006, 09:09 AM
My take on this is as follows....

Regarding selling of IDN's I think that the people on this forum are in a unique position.
Between you all (And hopefully me at some point as I just got into IDN's..:))
I would hazard a guess by saying that a good percentage of the 'premimum' domains are owned by people here.
This, by default, means that you as a group are in the position many would envy.
You are in control of setting the bar for IDN' sales. If the general concensus is to wait for top dollar and refuse to part with good names until that top dollar is offered for them then that will be the price that people will have to pay, and believe me, at some point they will pay.

Right now a lot of domain investors dont see IDN's as a viable risk to take. I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about IDN's as a whole and they are viewed with suspicon and even derision by many.
The simple facts will speak for themselves in the near future and the launching of IE7 will bear fruit for the IDN market in general.

Getting back to the gist of it, pricing an IDN to sell and the true worth of a good IDN are two different things.
An IDN or any domain for that matter is worth only what someone is willing to pay for it and up to the point of sale a domain is worth the reg fee at best and less than reg fee at worst.

You are basically seling an 'idea' to someone, that someone sees what you are selling and thinks first and foremost ' How can I get this to make me money'
If the 'idea' you are selling doesnt turn the client on then it is worthless, regardless of ovt, pagerank, bid price, single character or otherwise.

If the potential client can envision a business/financial future that is centered around your domain name, can see how it can be utilised to its fullest potential, how it can be branded, pumped into peoples subconcious, can see the rewards that will justify paying $xxxxx for the name, is certain that this name and ONLY this name will do the correct job for them then thats when your name has a potential value.

To price such a name is difficult. You may have one idea about price and the client may be at the other end of the spectrum (in a good or bad way !)

Essentially what I think is this.
The people here are in control of the future price of a large share of the IDN market.
As a wide ranging group of people from all corners with different views, thoughts, opinions, characters etc etc it will be difficult to 'speak with one 'voice' but I believe that as I write this you are ALREADY setting the benchmark for the future price of IDN's

Its a beautiful day and the future is bright!

bwhhisc
7th March 2006, 09:41 AM
I was watching the astronomical prices that people are selling "premium" IDNs on DNForum, and i dont see the point. Why dont we begin to sell first IDNs that arent awesome but okay in the range of 1K to 5K $?

I am not sure where YOU are looking but here at IDNForums the following action has taken place in the last week:

Kyoto City SOLD for $150 to Drewbert- a steal I might add.
DVD and TV sold for $30 and $40- another steal
Gammascalper listed a 1,000,000 OVT .com Japanese for $200 start bid

These auctions are running now here at IDNForum:
xn--7st98oqfw53n.com 春日部市 | Kasukabe city 10515- Top Bid current $60
xn--qoqp7ghzl51a.com 伊勢崎市 | Isesaki city 11607- Top Bid current $70
xn--wbs69nb3g.com 四日市 Yokkaichi current $160 bid

Over at DN-
Edwin has premium Russian 3/ $500 with 100,000 plus yandex-
Huron has a $100 sale going,
Touchring grabbed premium Chinese photography.com at $100, and $40.
Also Chinese Medicine and Drugstore sold $30each...
Fab has a bunch of Hebrew IDN up $35 to $125
Polin sold Chinese Webcam, Destop and another about $200- $250 each.

So there is lots of action out there, not just the super premiums!

idnceo
7th March 2006, 11:15 AM
In my opinion if i were a moderator on DNF. i would ask some people to edit their posts. Because you can "confuse" with your claims. Lets say you are saying you are selling car.com but you have カー.com . yeah u have car but the most used one is 車.com カー is more used with foreign words like car rental, car loans, etc. A little more of clarification on the use of the words would be better. This is for japanese, and for chinese it would be good to say if the word -read meaning- can be said in different kanjis in chinese. A word can be used in one kanji in Hong Kong but another kanji is used in china mainland. Im not saying traditional/simplified chinese. Im talking about words like katakana car and kanji car, both are car but different way to write it. If you check "news" in chinese, google china use 资讯 -information- for the news.google.cn while sina and most websites use for news 新闻
http://news.google.cn/nwshp?hl=zh-CN&tab=wn&q=
http://www.sina.com.cn/

Thats another thing regarding the sale of IDN that i found problematic, to claim you have X word when u have the least used one for that meaning. I guess any smart buyer will check many things regarding the language, but if people clarify things from the beginning, u dont have to spend much time doing research to know if you are being cheated.

I think soon people will say i sell osaka.com and they have オオサカ.com A little research on オオサカ on overture and search results will help you to understand that is not so much osaka 大阪, just another way to write osaka in one of the japanese alphabets and not used at all on daily life but anyway if you post i sell osaka in japanese in 100$ , you can cheat someone -even when at the end you really have osaka in one way to write it, in this case katakana but well we all know the one that is worth is the kanji 大阪

A little more of clarification on the domain sales of the words and use of them on the X language would be fair for buyers and the prestige of IDN as serious business. Whether is DNF or IDNForums. Just my opinion. :)

Rubber Duck
7th March 2006, 11:31 AM
My personal view is that is best to give the minium of information.

Punycode - Unicode - Indicative Translation in English - Price

Buyers should do their own research and buy on the strength of it! Hopefully, those that don't understand won't be motivated to buy.

In my opinion if i were a moderator on DNF. i would ask some people to edit their posts. Because you can "confuse" with your claims. Lets say you are saying you are selling car.com but you have カー.com . yeah u have car but the most used one is 車.com カー is more used with foreign words like car rental, car loans, etc. A little more of clarification on the use of the words would be better. This is for japanese, and for chinese it would be good to say if the word -read meaning- can be said in different kanjis in chinese. A word can be used in one kanji in Hong Kong but another kanji is used in china mainland. Im not saying traditional/simplified chinese. Im talking about words like katakana car and kanji car, both are car but different way to write it. If you check "news" in chinese, google china use 资讯 -information- for the news.google.cn while sina and most websites use for news 新闻
http://news.google.cn/nwshp?hl=zh-CN&tab=wn&q=
http://www.sina.com.cn/

Thats another thing regarding the sale of IDN that i found problematic, to claim you have X word when u have the least used one for that meaning. I guess any smart buyer will check many things regarding the language, but if people clarify things from the beginning, u dont have to spend much time doing research to know if you are being cheated.

I think soon people will say i sell osaka.com and they have オオサカ.com A little research on オオサカ on overture and search results will help you to understand that is not so much osaka 大阪, just another way to write osaka in one of the japanese alphabets and not used at all on daily life but anyway if you post i sell osaka in japanese in 100$ , you can cheat someone -even when at the end you really have osaka in one way to write it, in this case katakana but well we all know the one that is worth is the kanji 大阪

A little more of clarification on the domain sales of the words and use of them on the X language would be fair for buyers and the prestige of IDN as serious business. Whether is DNF or IDNForums. Just my opinion. :)

Olney
7th March 2006, 11:37 AM
This confusement is exactly why I want to create a Rating system.
As the minimal type of reference...
It's done by the way I just have to write the rules...

bwhhisc
7th March 2006, 11:57 AM
This confusement is exactly why I want to create a Rating system.
As the minimal type of reference...
It's done by the way I just have to write the rules...

Olney, I hope you will consider the 1 to 10 system, there is that wide a range in IDN quality and value. This is also simple for anyone to understand.

Olney
7th March 2006, 12:23 PM
Yeah I did it as 1 to 10 (10 being the highest)
I got a 1 already for my Financial Company.com figure that???
It will have to based on the Majority..

kenne
7th March 2006, 04:50 PM
The problem idnceo describe is gonna happen a lot with Chinese/Japanese... probably with other languages too that I have no clue about.

My earlier proposal of objective 3 question validation doesn't cover it. Unless the validator goes the extra mile of enumerating the dominant, or co-dominant forms. Which is too much to ask the validator.

My question about the 1-10 rating system is: Do you have to own the domain to put it on rating?

bwhhisc
7th March 2006, 04:56 PM
Yeah I did it as 1 to 10 (10 being the highest)
I got a 1 already for my Financial Company.com figure that???
It will have to based on the Majority..

I think we all have some 1's. Actually we have some MINUS 1's. Our guys registered furpie in Japanese early in the game...finding out later it has 0 ovt, 0 google! Maybe it will be a new fashion trend can be started with all your "minks" to bale us out! lol

rhys
7th March 2006, 05:40 PM
I think we all have some 1's. Actually we have some MINUS 1's. Our guys registered furpie in Japanese early in the game...finding out later it has 0 ovt, 0 google! Maybe it will be a new fashion trend can be started with all your "minks" to bale us out! lol

"Furpie" hmm. I like the sound of that. Has promise. :p

Rubber Duck
7th March 2006, 06:00 PM
We have dumped 500 names this year. It is all part of the game!

Caveate is that we have dumped a few we should have kept!

Edwin
7th March 2006, 09:28 PM
The problem with the new rating system is that if you've voted it doesn't also let you post comments, as you're limited to one "post" per 24 hours in that forum, and the vote seems to count as the post. If that can be rectified, it could be useful.

BTW, I was the one who gave the "1" vote to the loan company domain - an overture of just 148 kills it regardless of the bid prices.

Drewbert
7th March 2006, 09:45 PM
I'd take ihavecashandwantabusinessjet.com ov 148 over imahornyschoolboywithnocreditcard ov 200000 any day of the week.

Olney
7th March 2006, 09:56 PM
OK I went & put the wrong settings thanks for pointing that out.
You should be able to post regularly