PDA

View Full Version : Why idn?

abram lincohen
26th August 2007, 09:08 PM
Please be honest. Why are you buyng idns?
Discslamer: I have about 1000 idns registered myself.

Rubber Duck
26th August 2007, 09:26 PM

I am not. I already have mine.

Well, actually, I still cannot resist the odd bargain.

burnsinternet
27th August 2007, 03:25 AM
I rarely buy or reg anymore. I have what I have. I bought one ASCII from RD and regged two IDNs in August. I just don't have the time and patience to fresh reg anymore.

Are you asking why we started or why we continue? Umm... I think I speak for most of us... To make money.

Personally, I like IDNs because they are not ASCII. They are unique. They are pretty cool. It is a blast to own such cool single-keyword dot coms in other languages. They are trophies.

I started regging and buying because they were different. Honestly, I have a good job, I have a nice house, I cannot imagine leaving healthcare to be a full-time domainer. IDNs will probably never save lives. My job is very fulfilling. A life is saved every day (I work with Emergency Rooms across the country).

If these IDN domains only break-even, I would still keep them. If I make $$millions$$, I will accept that. If not, I will be OK.

Does that answer your question?

touchring
27th August 2007, 03:38 AM

I'm buying because i see an opportunity to invest in China cheaply. Real estate and stocks are currently too hot (the chinese stock market went up 5 times the past year or so! :o), so IDNs are now the best choice.

mwbseiso
27th August 2007, 04:15 AM
Hoping for a supplementary income a few years down the line. I think of it as a lottery with slightly more chances in my favor than in a regular lottery.

Giant
27th August 2007, 04:20 AM
There's another way to know why buy IDNs by asking the large corporations in China (or in some other countries). Let's try what would the answer be if we ask the "Industrial and commercial bank of china" or "ICBC".

ICBC's ascii domain name is icbc-ltd.com, and it's IDNs are "工行.com", "工行.cn" plus some more.

China has 1.3 billion people. Almost all people in their daily life say "工行" when referring to ICBC, and I guess only about 13 people or less (:-)) would say icbc-ltd instead of "工行".

So, why does ICBC need to own "工行.com" and "工行.cn"? If you still can't figure out the answer, go check with your doctor :-).

My guess is that in the near future, more than 90% of all ICBC's web traffics will come from its IDN domains, and only a few foreigners in China would remember and prefer to type icbc-ltd.com instead of Chinese character domains.

jose
27th August 2007, 04:30 AM
I rarely buy or reg anymore. I have what I have. I bought one ASCII from RD and regged two IDNs in August. I just don't have the time and patience to fresh reg anymore.

Are you asking why we started or why we continue? Umm... I think I speak for most of us... To make money.

Personally, I like IDNs because they are not ASCII. They are unique. They are pretty cool. It is a blast to own such cool single-keyword dot coms in other languages. They are trophies.

I started regging and buying because they were different. Honestly, I have a good job, I have a nice house, I cannot imagine leaving healthcare to be a full-time domainer. IDNs will probably never save lives. My job is very fulfilling. A life is saved every day (I work with Emergency Rooms across the country).

If these IDN domains only break-even, I would still keep them. If I make $$millions$$, I will accept that. If not, I will be OK.

Does that answer your question?

VERY IMPRESSIVE POST! Burns, your self-fulfillment shows. You have the most mature and correct approach to this (and to live itself) I have ever seen in here!

Some people in here should print your post and stick it on top of their monitors! :)

Cheers! Proud to be your friend!

glow
27th August 2007, 04:30 AM
I buying because it makes a profit, parking revenue of my russian IDNs covers over 50% of full portfolio renewal

burnsinternet
27th August 2007, 04:54 AM
Glow, your portfolio is the envy of everyone who ever went after Russian IDNs. Maybe only the Snows and a few others can match you.

Thanks, Jose! No hype. I just wanted to be honest about the whole thing. It sounds stupid to admit that I just think IDNs are just cool to own, but it explains why I don't stress out about the market. Cheers!

jacksonm
27th August 2007, 06:37 AM

Some are to sell, some are to develop.

What is a discslamer?