PDA

View Full Version : Do you register .com only if other extensions are available?

tackandgybe
27th August 2007, 10:06 AM
If you're lucky enough to find a great term that's still free, do you register just the .com version or other extensions as well? Is there any real benefit to registering say the .net variant also? (Preventing somebody else from competing with you if you plan to sell to an end user perhaps?)

Rubber Duck
27th August 2007, 10:09 AM
If you're lucky enough to find a great term that's still free, do you register just the .com version or other extensions as well? Is there any real benefit to registering say the .net variant also? (Preventing somebody else from competing with you if you plan to sell to an end user perhaps?)

I have registered dot Nets and sold them for a fat profit. Off the top of my head the three highest prices were $10K, $4K and $2K.

tackandgybe
27th August 2007, 10:19 AM
I should probably clarify that. I'm not knocking .net - I'm just wondering whether it would be worth registering e.g. both books.com & books.net in Greek, or whether I'd be better off just registering books.com and using the balance to buy another domain. Would buyers pay much more for a .com + .net package? Have you found that you can sell .com and .net separately?

I've often found that a .com of a particular term is gone but the other variants are still free - so presumably some people are simply going for the .coms and leaving the rest behind.

jacksonm
27th August 2007, 10:22 AM
I've often found that a .com of a particular term is gone but the other variants are still free - so presumably some people are simply going for the .coms and leaving the rest behind.

Some people are on limited budgets..

Olney
27th August 2007, 10:31 AM
I think it's a matter of personal preference on how you want to market your portfolio.
I think many will think differently about it.
Instead of getting dot nets I got dot jps & coms of some domains.
Some I want to develop I got net com & jp.
If it's open & you think it's premium get it, it can't hurt.
We all know it's easier to let a domain go after you decide you don't need it than to get it after you decide you want it.

Rubber Duck
27th August 2007, 10:36 AM
Some people are on limited budgets..

Being on a tight budget means that it is imperative to buy value rather than registering a lot of crap. It is not the number of domains you hold but the quality that will determine whether you are successful.

jacksonm
27th August 2007, 10:41 AM
Being on a tight budget means that it is imperative to buy value rather than registering a lot of crap. It is not the number of domains you hold but the quality that will determine whether you are successful.

Given the funds to only register 10 domains, and knowing of 10 premium dot coms which are available, I doubt if I'm going to be registering any dot nets! That was the point.

abram lincohen
27th August 2007, 12:08 PM

I agree wholeheartedly... If it's a good domain I always register .com and .net - I don't want a competition later.

Asiaplay
27th August 2007, 03:20 PM
For development I have even gone further than this and bought up everything except for the .cc & .tv in a few cases (and for a very top term, I know I will develop intensely - namely for one or two IDNs, I decided to control even those).

Generally if I was buying for on-selling - only if I was sure it is a top term would I buy both the .net and .com (also I think a little like Olney said - I would prefer the ccTLD and the best gTLD extension I could get - meaning the ccTLD IDN + either .com, .net or .biz).

Note this last sentence... for "Development / use", I would rather buy the .biz at registration price than pay any premium for the .net (and where either the .net or .biz is available, I will only be prepared to pay a very small premium for the .com generally).
So buying for use - unless it is THE TOP KEYWORD... you will need to own more than the one extension to interest me to pay a premium.
However this is based on being a user for mainly SEO use (and as I have a budget or where often the .com is gone already, being used and will never be released cheaply... this does mean there are commercial realities in buying both or being able to buy both more than just sometimes).

Remember comments come from being a user, rather than as a investor for on-selling / trader of IDNs.

Basically - what I want to use a term / IDN for (and it's position as the top keyword in a biz area) dictates how crazy I go to buy up all extensions for that keyword. Also ignoring type-ins, for a top term most gTLD will be equally as good as .com (yes - there is no credibility in .com being better than .net etc. for SEO as I see it) - so why leave them open for competitors :)

However others are correct - perhaps it is better to have 10 prime .coms (or ccTLD in the associated language which matches extension e.g. .jp in japanese and not Chinese for .jp) rather than 3 IDNs where you own the .com, .net and .biz (lets face it - even large investors have to make choices and can not buy all & everything... and diversity and .coms or ccTLD are the safe traders choices as I see it).

Cheers, Asiaplay

ala101
27th August 2007, 03:26 PM
This stat could help :
Top TLDs Globally
TLD Domains
com 76,381,687
net 11,070,845
org 6,421,763
info 5,189,861
biz 1,901,217

source : ipwalk.com

g
27th August 2007, 03:34 PM
with limited balance ...I always register .coms only .... 2.coms are better than .com/.net of the same keyword

Rubber Duck
27th August 2007, 03:35 PM
Given the funds to only register 10 domains, and knowing of 10 premium dot coms which are available, I doubt if I'm going to be registering any dot nets! That was the point.

It depends what you call premium, but if Burnsinternet has given up new regging, and let face it he was one of the most tenacious players here, there really isn't that much left at new reg level.

For those that can only bring 70 Bucks to the party, all I can suggest is that the losers go out and get a job!

mulligan
27th August 2007, 03:43 PM
there really isn't that much left at new reg level.
Still some stuff out there, not top level stuff but reasonable ...
Though I would have to say that if you're new to the search it will be very fu*king hard to find .. You kinda develop a knack over time despite not being a native speaker of any of the languages ... the nuances eventually rub off and you actually start to learn (some of) the languages subconsciously (Well that's what I found anyway)