PDA

View Full Version : Man loses top of his head in brain operation, gets 3k euro compensation.

touchring
29th August 2007, 04:43 PM
Man loses top of his head in brain operation

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German court has awarded 3,000 euros ($4,100) in damages to a man who had to have the top of his skull replaced with plastic because of a faulty hospital fridge.

The man sought compensation of at least 20,000 euros on the grounds that the prosthesis caused him headaches, affected his balance and made him unduly sensitivity to the weather.

Compensation of 3,000 euros was "appropriate and sufficient," it said.

"The experts consulted by the court concluded the new skull roof was better than the original," a court spokesman said.

:o

jacksonm
29th August 2007, 05:57 PM
LOL! He would have been a multi-millionaire had this happened in USA.

touchring
29th August 2007, 06:04 PM
"The experts consulted by the court concluded the new skull roof was better than the original," a court spokesman said.

:)

mwbseiso
29th August 2007, 06:09 PM
You have got to be kidding me......................

bramiozo
29th August 2007, 06:32 PM
The best solution is probably somewhere between the 'american way' and this courts' ruling. Say the middleground between 10 million and 0, it's still 5 million, I vote aye. ;)

In the Netherlands emotional/physical damages aren't awarded much compensation either, if they can't pin-point the damages you're shit out a luck.

I got €7000 once for a broken neck, I was about 21 at the time, the flipside is that if something happens later one in relation to that injury the damages are increased (somewhat :p ).

Wot
30th August 2007, 01:55 AM
I hear that prior to the operation he was an ardent IDN advocate.

It would appear that post op - due to neurological damage, he switched to ascii. Just waiting for some of those IDN gems to drop. ;)

Giant
30th August 2007, 03:42 AM
:o

I believe them, the Germans have been known to be very good in physics and science. Besides, the faulty hospital fridge was made in China :-)

Like other courts in the world, the German courts also have a good sense of humor.