PDA

View Full Version : Typing in keywords in the address bar..

mgrohan
30th August 2007, 11:05 AM
Not sure if this has been covered before, have search but couldn't find anything.

Just when users type in keywords in the address bar in firefox - it goes to search results for the keyword in google.

In ie7 it goes to the results in live.com

However for quite a few ASCII keywords in firefox, it will go directly to the top ranking website for the keyword entered.

However for all my IDNs i have tried, in FF it directs directly to the .com of the keyword if it is registered.

Is this the case, or sometimes like ASCII will FF go to the highest ranking site for the IDN keyword?

Rubber Duck
30th August 2007, 11:22 AM
Some of your domains will rank very high on keyword search. This particularly true of undeveloped languages or crap keyword combinations. If nobody is developing sites on your keywords then you will rank number one and get the type in. Of course the problem is that there almost certainly won't be any anyway.

Not sure if this has been covered before, have search but couldn't find anything.

Just when users type in keywords in the address bar in firefox - it goes to search results for the keyword in google.

In ie7 it goes to the results in live.com

However for quite a few ASCII keywords in firefox, it will go directly to the top ranking website for the keyword entered.

However for all my IDNs i have tried, in FF it directs directly to the .com of the keyword if it is registered.

Is this the case, or sometimes like ASCII will FF go to the highest ranking site for the IDN keyword?

mgrohan
30th August 2007, 11:40 AM
OK, i am pretty sure now that that is the case.

I have developed domains (not using the .com extension).
With better rankings than the .com which are undeveloped and just registry paking pages. (some of my URL keywords are in the top 3 of google. with the .com not even listed in google).

But typing the keyword in the address bar will ALWAYS go to the .com in the case of IDNs (in FF).

Seems like this would definetely mean even more type-ins for the .com, and more value.

Also not good for those of us who are developing domains. Then again firefox isn't in that big usage in Asia at the mo', so maybe not much to think about..

touchring
30th August 2007, 12:55 PM
But typing the keyword in the address bar will ALWAYS go to the .com in the case of IDNs (in FF).

ISn't so for me?

Typing keyword, FF always bring to the first SERP of Google.

mgrohan
30th August 2007, 01:21 PM
OK, my mistake i had some IDN addon for firefox. Thought i had it disabled, but apparantly not :p

touchring
30th August 2007, 05:57 PM
as i understand, only the apple browser, safari actually defaults to the .com.

Asiaplay
31st August 2007, 02:51 AM

Opps - there is a reason to push Firefox - haha (well for those of us who own less .coms)... lol... cheers, Asiaplay

PS: whats .com anyway ("communist"?... is a little outdated these days anyway isn't it - hehe ;) )

blastfromthepast
1st September 2007, 12:07 AM

Safari and Opera.

Drewbert
1st September 2007, 05:16 AM
Opps - there is a reason to push Firefox - haha (well for those of us who own less .coms)... lol... cheers, Asiaplay

Actually when you think about it, non-English Safari users will learn that IDN's exist because they'll type something in and they'll get taken to the .com of it, and they'll be converts.

IE and FF users will be taken to an SE and be blissfully unaware that IDN's exist. Still.

blastfromthepast
1st September 2007, 03:40 PM

PS: whats .com anyway ("communist"?... is a little outdated these days anyway isn't it - hehe ;) )

Firefox has broken .com access. And it defaults to Google upon return. What good does this do anyone? Yes, it works with .ccTLD, but it still defaults to Google, doing you no good for typin traffic.

Forget about the Fox. Promote Opera and Safari. These are the real friends of domainers.

mark07
2nd September 2007, 11:49 AM
Firefox has broken .com access. And it defaults to Google upon return. What good does this do anyone? Yes, it works with .ccTLD, but it still defaults to Google, doing you no good for typin traffic.

Forget about FireFox. Promote Opera and Safari. These are the real friends of domainers.

Well then I have to surely download out Opera and Safari and see which one works better for me in terms of domaining.

jacksonm
2nd September 2007, 11:54 AM

Forget about FireFox. Promote Opera and Safari. These are the real friends of domainers.

Recent FF versions do an "I'm Feeling Lucky" google search when you type in keyword without extension. As you might know, the "I'm Feeling Lucky" search takes you to the first google SERP.

This started after Google and Mozilla Foundation became partners.